2021 Hunting VIDEOS: Post 'em Here!

Bird_Man_mike

Not hunting, just running a pup.  Here is my 5 month old (at the time) pup on a pair of grouse a couple weeks ago.  She was 250+ yards out from me when she locked up and held point til I flushed.  Shes a good kid.  :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scar

• Payton

• spring

• chilly460

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anyone wanting to "shoot" their birds with their phone or perhaps video a friend shooting or a friend video taping you shooting a bird, post 'em here! As for me, I'm completely satisfied videoing

Some great videos, keep them coming.   Here a couple I put together, one day I’ll stop being lazy and wear the GoPro.         

Go-pro video of something a bit unusual for our neck of the woods. My dog was on point, and as I made my way over to him I flushed a cotton-tail rabbit, a very, very rare beast in the parts we usually

Our only productive point today. I tried a new spot about 90 minutes away, and when I got there, they had received a lot more snow than we did. And I've never had any luck quail hunting after a fresh snow. 

Fellow UJer Scott got to enjoy some wild bobwhite behind his puppy.

January has been a tough quail hunting month this year.  The bird numbers are down and the coveys are tough to find, moving away from the dogs' points and flushing wild and ragged.  I haven't seen a "traditional" bobwhite covey flush in 30 days.  I walked 29.8 miles over 2.5 days to get this 30 second clip and another that I'll post later this week.  Enjoy.

I tried a new spot today, and she was birdy in one spot and I couldn't get to her once when the Garmin said she was stopped for ~30 seconds (and she normally stays busy so I think that she was pointed . . . was there a bird there? I'll never know). On the way back home, I stopped and hit a couple of my normal spots and saw a big covey on spot #1 and I had three productive points just 15 minutes before sundown. Here's the covey find and I'll post one single below it.

Super tough weekend of quail hunting.  Lots of miles covered for very few finds.

But I did capture this video 🤩

Allen McCallie
On 1/25/2021 at 8:55 AM, Scar said:

Super tough weekend of quail hunting.  Lots of miles covered for very few finds.

But I did capture this video 🤩

That's one fine film of a covey rise, and makes it so easy to see how I can miss 'em all!  Dazed and confused!

17 minutes ago, Allen McCallie said:

That's one fine film of a covey rise, and makes it so easy to see how I can miss 'em all!  Dazed and confused!

Thanks Allen.  I'll capture dozens of covey flushes without getting something comparable to this video again.  When you realize that the closest birds you see in the video are less than 10 feet from me initially it gives some flavor to how hard it is to get something like this on film.  I've got more than 100 covey flushes on film and probably a half dozen compare favorably to this capture.  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I've been hunting this new spot, and yesterday I found TWO covies. The video was poor on one and the other didn't get recorded due to operator error ;)  And it should have been a great video, because the birds were feeding in a short stand of lespedeza adjacent to a pond. I hunted again this morning, and she pointed a covey still on the roost! It was 9:30 and I was surprised that they hadn't left the roost yet. I was disappointed in the new .22 blanks that I just spent $20 for. I went through five blanks before one finally fired :(

The late season quail hunting in Oklahoma has been really tough but little Dot stuck this small covey yesterday for a fellow UJer.

Scar, is that white dog 100% pointer? That tail reminds me of a few droppers (1/2 pointer, 1/2 setter) that I've hunted with.

As for me, I got shut out this afternoon. Hunted four hours with nothing to show for it. The dog got very birdy at both places where she pointed birds a week ago, and I don't think it was because of memory ;)  She got very birdy in two other new places so this merits another try on another day. 

21 hours ago, Payton said:

Scar, is that white dog 100% pointer? That tail reminds me of a few droppers (1/2 pointer, 1/2 setter) that I've hunted with.

No. She’s a Redrum dog and has lemon ticking on her right ear and a dot on top of her head. That crescent tail is what brought her to me as the trialler I bought her from said the judges want a twelve o’clock tail. She’s a classy little lady and I love her. 

3 hours ago, Scar said:

No. She’s a Redrum dog and has lemon ticking on her right ear and a dot on top of her head. That crescent tail is what brought her to me as the trialler I bought her from said the judges want a twelve o’clock tail. She’s a classy little lady and I love her. 

Good for you. I suppose tail set MIGHT separate two equal dogs, but how often will you find two truly equal dogs vying for first and second place. 

Their loss. Your gain.