• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scar

• Payton

• spring

• chilly460

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anyone wanting to "shoot" their birds with their phone or perhaps video a friend shooting or a friend video taping you shooting a bird, post 'em here! As for me, I'm completely satisfied videoing

Tried something a little different with this video.  I hope it's enjoyable.

Go-pro video of something a bit unusual for our neck of the woods. My dog was on point, and as I made my way over to him I flushed a cotton-tail rabbit, a very, very rare beast in the parts we usually

Had a day for the ages this past Thursday in the frost.  This is the first of several neat clips I shot.

Glad the rain held off a bit this morning since the Presidents were kind enough to give us a day off. It was a rubber boot, cool, wet, and misty day, but while walking around, the pups found 9 coveys in 2 hours and 15 minutes.  Here are a few of them. Not the prettiest morning but a fun one!

6 hours ago, spring said:

Glad the rain held off a bit this morning since the Presidents were kind enough to give us a day off. It was a rubber boot day, cool, wet, and misty, but while walking around, the pups found 9 coveys in 2 hours and 15 minutes.  Here are a few of them. Not the prettiest morning but a fun one!

Is this private land you're hunting or a plantation? That place has got birds!

19 hours ago, Payton said:

Is this private land you're hunting or a plantation? That place has got birds!

It's private land that gets pretty light hunting pressure. The coveys are all still large, and considering we're on the short end of winter's cold days, the bird's chances of survival and getting into spring nesting are high.  Of course that sets up well for next season. It's a constant year-around cycle of watching after the birds and hoping for the future!

Go-pro video of something a bit unusual for our neck of the woods. My dog was on point, and as I made my way over to him I flushed a cotton-tail rabbit, a very, very rare beast in the parts we usually hunt. We have a ton of them in the city, probably feral descendants of pet rabbits from years ago, but I've only seen two or three in our hunting grounds over the last 30 years. Anyway, that was NOT what my dog was pointing. It was a ruffy! 

P.S. In case you are wondering what the hell I am saying when not narrating the action, it's just me speaking/hollering to my dog and wife in French. 

Aaaaand another one. Leo pointed a woodcock and I wanted Lisa to get in on the action, so I waited for he to get closer. By the time she arrived though the bird had moved off a bit, so she told Leo to relocate which he did. I then told him "coule" which means to move closer to the bird to flush it, which he did. I managed to make the shot and Leo fetched our supper...a nice fat woodcock!

Chiendog,

That's some beautiful country . . . and very unlike anything I have access too.

12 hours ago, Payton said:

Chiendog,

That's some beautiful country . . . and very unlike anything I have access too.

Is sure is lovely! And it is somewhat unusual for our area as well. It is a large chunk of land about 3 hours from home owned by a friend and his family who raise free-range cattle since they can't raise crops. The soil, is really poor and either bone dry or soaking wet. Bird numbers are not great, on a good day we may flush a grouse or two and if the flight is in a woodcock or two. But it is private, so we have it all to ourselves and since the cows keep the cover down it is way easier to get around. 

East of the city and much closer to home, there are vast forests with way more birds, and we hunt there more often, but the going is much tougher. Think Minnesota/Wisconsin grouse woods but with 95% fewer logging trails. Every time the dog goes on point you are confronted with a wall of trees you have to practically crawl through. So you get more points, see more birds, take more shots, but usually end up with the same number in the bag!

Upland_Hunter
20 hours ago, chiendog said:

Aaaaand another one. Leo pointed a woodcock and I wanted Lisa to get in on the action, so I waited for he to get closer. By the time she arrived though the bird had moved off a bit, so she told Leo to relocate which he did. I then told him "coule" which means to move closer to the bird to flush it, which he did. I managed to make the shot and Leo fetched our supper...a nice fat woodcock!

Nice video and nice shot on the bird!!

chilly460

Apologies for the quality as most of these were impromptu vids taken on my phone, and then aggregated, but it's fun to look back on the hunts.