Will there be a 2021 Fly Swap

Brad Eden

9670D05A-6523-4850-B387-1A8A90BA7533.jpeg

The selection that went in the Summer Auction from last years Fly Swap. 

• Brad Eden changed the title to Will there be a 2021 Fly Swap

Nice fly Geoff. Do you get short strikes with just one hook and that much tail?  The instagram  video from Pat Cohen (which I hope will open) and a fly I tie with his swim tails with great action for smallmouth and pike. It is about 4 inches long and will be one of my contributions for the swap.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-nPyQFJRFu/

swim tail fly.jpg

browndrake
On 1/5/2021 at 3:24 PM, Keith said:

How about two flys.....one the largest non articulated you can tie with materials you have and the other the smallest?????

I am the same with with fly tying as I am with young or beginning hunters, I think that anybody that wants to participate should.  This is an all inclusive fly swap!  I think the suggested swap theme sounds pretty cool and think we should run with it.  That said, we won't all do the same flys or even type of flys.  I have some 12" flys I throw at pike and have tied size 26 midges, both wet and dry, for trout.    I don't think my dad ever tied anything smaller than 18 nor bigger that a size 2 crawdad.

As Keith said, how large or small you tie will be based on your comfort level and the materials you have.  

Don't let lack of experience scare you off from joining.  

This is a FUN swap and often gives me and others the motivation to get tying if we haven't been at the bench in a while.

To sign up for the 2021 UJ Fly Swap, please reply here: https://uplandjournal.ipbhost.com/topic/79303-2021-uj-fly-swap/

Check the first post, several of you are already listed as signed up  (from what you said in this thread.

Looks like it will be a really fun swap this year!

Geoff Roznak
4 hours ago, D. Case said:

Nice fly Geoff. Do you get short strikes with just one hook and that much tail?  The instagram  video from Pat Cohen (which I hope will open) and a fly I tie with his swim tails with great action for smallmouth and pike. It is about 4 inches long and will be one of my contributions for the swap.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-nPyQFJRFu/

swim tail fly.jpg

In my experience, musky and pike aren't much for tail nipping.  I think I've seen a musky do it twice and can't ever recall a pike doing it.  Mostly they t-bone the fly when it's sideways...or they eat the whole thing from behind.

My other reasons for not liking trailers is that I feel they throw off the balance of the fly unless you put enough material back there to counter it...and now we've got a beast of fly to cast.

...I also don't like digging two hooks out of a thrashing Esox.

I do fish some two hook patterns that I like a lot - Merlin's Beard is one.

That's a cool fly, chartreuse and white always seems to work...

Swampy 16

I’m in but all I’m tying at the moment are my favorite nymphs. Here’s a few I did this week. They’re all i fish. I don’t fish dry’s.D5F2CE08-1B05-4671-98A3-6730FB436528.thumb.jpeg.770ef914d50bf9d525943a5f2a210204.jpegFAF5AFD5-AC8A-41EB-9368-09D41FEBD8DA.thumb.jpeg.33b93a25cdbb75ebc97c2ad7ddf092a0.jpeg5EB85620-FE96-44A1-BFB1-63205DF34E85.thumb.jpeg.ec510ca36e73ed4bf3ff9fff7515e892.jpeg

Brad Eden
9 hours ago, browndrake said:

I am the same with with fly tying as I am with young or beginning hunters, I think that anybody that wants to participate should.  This is an all inclusive fly swap!  I think the suggested swap theme sounds pretty cool and think we should run with it.  That said, we won't all do the same flys or even type of flys.  I have some 12" flys I throw at pike and have tied size 26 midges, both wet and dry, for trout.    I don't think my dad ever tied anything smaller than 18 nor bigger that a size 2 crawdad.

As Keith said, how large or small you tie will be based on your comfort level and the materials you have.  

Don't let lack of experience scare you off from joining.  

This is a FUN swap and often gives me and others the motivation to get tying if we haven't been at the bench in a while.

To sign up for the 2021 UJ Fly Swap, please reply here: https://uplandjournal.ipbhost.com/topic/79303-2021-uj-fly-swap/

Check the first post, several of you are already listed as signed up  (from what you said in this thread.

Looks like it will be a really fun swap this year!

Yes!, reply and sign up on the Official Fly Swap Topic linked in Post above.

Bloodhound

I am a newish tier and have never participated in this swap.  But I can tie two styles and would like to participate.  I have watched these swaps in the last few years, It always looks like a ton of fun.

Brad Eden
On 1/6/2021 at 10:43 PM, browndrake said:

2 minutes ago, Bloodhound said:

I am a newish tier and have never participated in this swap.  But I can tie two styles and would like to participate.  I have watched these swaps in the last few years, It always looks like a ton of fun.

Link in above Quote to main Fly Swap Topic to sign up.

• 4 weeks later...
browndrake

Reminder, only one week left to sign up for the fly swap!

To sign up, head on over to  this thread: