2021 UJ Fly Swap

browndrake

Thanks to ElhewAngler for getting the ball rolling this year!

This year's cool theme was suggested by Keith:

"How about two flys.....one the largest non articulated you can tie with materials you have and the other the smallest????? "

DON'T let this scare you off.   As Keith said, "one the largest non articulated you can tie with materials you have and the other the smallest"

Each of us have different experience levels, comfort levels, and different materials on our bench.   Tie what you feel comfortable tying.

Until the first time I fished steelhead, I never tied anything bigger than size 4.    The first time I fished pike, I tied some "huge" 7" streamers.  I caught three 33" pike that day.  All three had 12" carp in them...guess what I tied before I went pike fishing again...12" carp looking streamers.   Similar with small, I never tied smaller than 16 until I was fishing the green and a few other rivers..then I was tying 20s and smaller, even some 26s.   You know, it feels like an accomplishment landing a 20" trout on a #26 dry fly.

So, the gist of the stories:  Sign up, tie some flies, have lots of fun, and share with this wonderful UJ community.

Please reply below to sign up! Thanks.

Rules (same as every year

- Each tier will tie 1 fly for each participant, plus one extra - the extra fly will be donated to Brad for use how he sees fit (perhaps the annual auction) 

- Commitment deadline: lets say Valentine's weekend  (this is when people need to commit that they are in the swap).

- Completion deadline - Flies should be completed and in the mail to me by March 15th. I'll PM the participants my mailing address.  Flies will be mailed to the tiers as soon as possible after they have all been received.

- Flies should be mailed in some sort of reusable container that is large enough to hold all the flies that are going back to you.  Put your real name, UJ name, and mailing address in or on the box so I know who to return it to.  (this year there will be some big flies, be sure to send return package that is large enough..the oft used mint can wont work this year)

-There is only one really firm rule on this:  Participants MUST include a postage paid return envelope to get your flies back to you. So, if you forget your postage paid return envelope, think of it like donating your flies to Brad's pile for auction purposes! 

-Not a rule, but a suggestion:  put small label on each fly so everybody will know who tied what.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Participants:                      

browndrake    

ElhewAngler

Geoff Roznak

D. Case                     

Keith   

Swampy 16

Bloodhound

brushbuster

• Brad Eden pinned and featured this topic
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• browndrake

• Geoff Roznak

• ElhewAngler

• Swampy 16

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm kind of excited about this. I have a pattern in mind, that I have never tied.  Not saying what it is in case it flops but have been wanting to do it for a while now... With this year's swap I have

I think that is a great question that needs answered to tie for this theme.  My guess is that most people here wont have heavier than 8wt, several may not have bigger than 6.  Unless they do salt or t

Interesting for sure!  May have to target fish other than trout.  A nice adventure. 

ElhewAngler

I like the big and small idea.  Being crushed at work or would have replied sooner.

Geoff Roznak

For clarity: Two flies for each participant, one large and one small, correct?

Or...just two flies total: One large and one small?

browndrake
24 minutes ago, Geoff Roznak said:

For clarity: Two flies for each participant, one large and one small, correct?

Or...just two flies total: One large and one small?

two for each participant (one large one small).   Everybody will mail flies to me.  I will repackage and mail out so that we all get flies from each other

Swampy 16

Not sure I understand the postage paid envelope if we’re mailing a box. First timer, sorry.

browndrake

We can reuse a box you send them in. Just include postage to mail back to you. 

Historically,  some people have sent small boxes or padded envelopes often with a small plastic box inside or a zip lock baggie.

All that really matters is that the flies are packaged to get here and that I  have a way to get them back to you. 

With likely several flies being larger than we normally tie here,  we will probably need slightly larger packaging than many have used in the past 

Swampy 16

Don’t expect much in the large department from me, lol. I wouldn’t know where to start but I’ll make it worth it. That’s if I can ever get any time.

Geoff Roznak
17 hours ago, browndrake said:

two for each participant (one large one small).   Everybody will mail flies to me.  I will repackage and mail out so that we all get flies from each other

Thanks for the clarification.  That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

Depending on how many sign up, the odds that all my flies will be the same are slim...

browndrake
5 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

Don’t expect much in the large department from me, lol. I wouldn’t know where to start but I’ll make it worth it. That’s if I can ever get any time.

Just join in and have fun

Geoff Roznak

Before I go off on a tear and whip up a bunch of monster flies, I'd like to get a feel for what the heaviest weight rod everyone has.

I am thinking of tying down to 8 wt. appropriate flies?

browndrake
27 minutes ago, Geoff Roznak said:

Before I go off on a tear and whip up a bunch of monster flies, I'd like to get a feel for what the heaviest weight rod everyone has.

I am thinking of tying down to 8 wt. appropriate flies?

I think that is a great question that needs answered to tie for this theme.  My guess is that most people here wont have heavier than 8wt, several may not have bigger than 6.  Unless they do salt or target lots of big fresh most people probably wont have heavy wt rods. I use my 10' 8wt for stripers, steelies, and such.  I really never go heaver unless fishing salt.

Unless several speak up otherwise, I think your choice of 8wt appropriate flies sounds good for a top side limit.

Geoff Roznak
16 hours ago, browndrake said:

I think that is a great question that needs answered to tie for this theme.  My guess is that most people here wont have heavier than 8wt, several may not have bigger than 6.  Unless they do salt or target lots of big fresh most people probably wont have heavy wt rods. I use my 10' 8wt for stripers, steelies, and such.  I really never go heaver unless fishing salt.

Unless several speak up otherwise, I think your choice of 8wt appropriate flies sounds good for a top side limit.

I think that's a good call.

I don't want anyone getting one of these:

IMG-0028.jpg

...then looking at their 6 wt., and thinking, "That #^(!ing Roznak!" 😀🤣

I regularly throw 4-6 inch streamers with my 6 to 8 weight rods.  I think it is good to stay in that range for the swap.  

Geoff Roznak
51 minutes ago, D. Case said:

I regularly throw 4-6 inch streamers with my 6 to 8 weight rods.  I think it is good to stay in that range for the swap.  

I agree.  The reel in my picture above is about 4 1/2" in diameter.

...although all of these are all designed to be thrown on a fast-action 8 wt.:

Variations-on-a-Theme.jpg

There's not much to them.

Bloodhound

am a newish tier and have never participated in this swap.  But I can tie two styles and would like to participate.  I have watched these swaps in the last few years, It always looks like a ton of fun.