annakperry

Hello everyone! I am currently working on training and raising my first puppy all on my own, Alula an 8 month old GSP. I am finishing up my bachelors so we have slowly but surely been working through the training steps. We are finally ready for a bird and gun intro but need some pointers. Any recommendations for videos/books/podcasts or general advice for this process? Also wanted to check and see if anyone had connections in the Starkville, MS area for birds or land to take her to? She has been an amazing dog so far, slightly spoiled and full of sass!XCbWBEC.jpgy0KatQv.jpg

WMassGriff

I'd look up any NAVHDA Chapters in that area and get involved with their training days. Should have a listing of chapters on the NAVHDA website.

Jazz4Brazo

Welcome...sorry I can't be of any help but I can say she's a looker..lucky you!!

J4B 

marysburg

+1 on the NAVHDA idea.  Lots of help available for training, and access to birds, land to work on, and mentors (to say nothing of a whole new group of like minded friends).

Love them GSP's ! She's a beauty !

& Welcome !

fourtrax57

Welcome aboard! Beautiful Pup.

Search out / check out any local pointing dog clubs if there are any..................................

Fire Marshal Bill

Welcome aboard and X2 on joining a NAVHDA group. 

UplandHntr

That better be a fresh pillow case.... just sayin

Welcome aboard!

I like this method, “steady with style”. They have a Facebook page and there are videos available. I’m not sure of where they are based out of but they do have training days.

Welcome, some good people here 

Jacquidog

Welcome to the group, always good to see new blood.  Love your pup, rImage may contain: people sitting, dog and indooremember, never spoil your bird dog. No not me,  no way.

ccavacini

Welcome to the board...good looking pup you have.

Scott Berg

I would just take her hunting at this point.  She is beyond the age where I like to use liberated birds and you are already into the best part of the quail season. Any further delay and she is going to get little or nothing out of her first season.  Don’t worry about shooting birds at first.  Start with a blank gun or a 410.  Only shoot when she is in pursuit of birds until it’s obvious she is comfortable with gunfire.  Don’t shoot any birds that she does not handle properly.

Judging from the first picture, I don't think she appears spoiled. She is a pretty little girl, welcome on board. Scott had some good advice above.

Welcome!  Lots of great books out there.  I like the book “Training With Mo.”  My only advice is make sure she’s confident with birds before adding gunfire.