annakperry
On 1/5/2021 at 8:08 PM, WMassGriff said:

I'd look up any NAVHDA Chapters in that area and get involved with their training days. Should have a listing of chapters on the NAVHDA website.

On 1/5/2021 at 9:00 PM, marysburg said:

+1 on the NAVHDA idea.  Lots of help available for training, and access to birds, land to work on, and mentors (to say nothing of a whole new group of like minded friends).

17 hours ago, Fire Marshal Bill said:

Welcome aboard and X2 on joining a NAVHDA group. 

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately I don't have a chapter near enough to be active but I was able to check out the membership roster and find some people a little closer to home! 

annakperry
17 hours ago, Quig said:

I like this method, “steady with style”. They have a Facebook page and there are videos available. I’m not sure of where they are based out of but they do have training days.

Welcome, some good people here 

16 hours ago, Scott Berg said:

I would just take her hunting at this point.  She is beyond the age where I like to use liberated birds and you are already into the best part of the quail season. Any further delay and she is going to get little or nothing out of her first season.  Don’t worry about shooting birds at first.  Start with a blank gun or a 410.  Only shoot when she is in pursuit of birds until it’s obvious she is comfortable with gunfire.  Don’t shoot any birds that she does not handle properly.

4 hours ago, RedL said:

Welcome!  Lots of great books out there.  I like the book “Training With Mo.”  My only advice is make sure she’s confident with birds before adding gunfire.

Thank you for the tips! I will definitely check out their facebook page and that book! I have a blank gun on the way and had the chance to get her out today to see her work some birds. Poor quality picture but we got at least one really pretty point out of it. 1BhWD2E.jpg

Welcome to the board, nice to see newbies!

I agree with Scott. She'll figure it out with wild birds and you doing your part; it'll be fun.