Dog ate a squeaker

Mike Connally

Gunner got hold of one Becky’s dog toys 3 days ago and ate one of the little plastic squeakers. About 1 1/4” round and 1/2” thick. He hasn’t barfed it out or pooped it that we can see, but there is a chance that occurred in the woods the day after. Two X-rays haven’t shown anything and he’s not in any kind of distress. It’s thin plastic so it probably won’t show up in imaging. 
Anyway...he’s on the shelf, as per my vet, for a week to see what develops. 

Brad Eden

I hate when that happens. I’m shooting for it not to become an issue. Good luck.

3 days ago is forever.  If it hasn't caused any trouble by now it's likely long gone from his bowels.  If you're really bored go search the yard.

I think a lot of folks would be surprised at what goes in one end of a dog and out the other.

sidelock

Some may not believe this but after a training session to get the dogs in shape for the upcoming hunting season, I had all my stuff on the tail gate ready to put away and my cell phone rang and got me distracted before I managed to secured the dogs in their crates. A after the phone call ended I saw my pointer prancing around with one of my mechanic gloves in his mouth and I immediately took it away from him and secured both dogs in their crate. As I was putting my stuff away I noticed to other glove was missing and I looked everywhere for it for over half an hour, even took the other dog out and had him hunt the area close to the truck hoping he would point it since it had pigeon scent on it. Well the glove was nowhere to be found and needless to say I was worried sick. My trip to grouse camp was three days away and I watch him closely but he showed no sign of any ill effect and there was no evidence of the glove in his stools and he had regular bowel movement. I had come to the conclusion he must have dropped the glove in the high cover while I was on the phone and I just didn't find it. Off to grouse camp for a week and everything seemed normal. A couple of days after I got back from grouse camp I went out back to the kennel to let them out for their usual morning exercise in the yard and as I went in his run to clean up, low and behold there lay my red mechanics glove on the kennel floor. I couldn't believe my very own eyes and was completely dumbfounded. I picked up the glove to inspect it and there was no terrible foul odor or any feces on it but it was very slimy. The only conclusion that I could come up with is that it remained in his stomach all that time and didn't pass into his intestines and he finally regurgitated it. Didn't mean to hijack this thread and hope you are as lucky as me and my dog were !

Mike Connally

My old Llewellin Joy once pulled off 3 ft of vet wrap from her leg. We looked all through the back yard which was 50% wooded. Never found it. 
Several days later I was walking her on a leash and noticed she was in some difficulty pooping. I reached down and pulled out all 3 ft of vet wrap. 

had a lab that ate a whole popsicle, stick too. Three weeks later he barfed up the stick. You'd think a squeaker would go right through.

I feel for you Mike, it seems like at least once a week I’m worrying about something Gus ate.  Rocks, mushrooms, pieces of wood off the newly stained deck.  I’ve had to start putting a basket muzzle on him to take him out to the bathroom.

mikegillam

My 8 mo Griffon has eaten 2 ankle socks, dryer sheets, a guitar pick, and a thin merino wool hat! On our 4th trip to Michigan, after a little lunch/nap, let him go to the bathroom before loading him in the truck. Tried to go to the bathroom and nothing would come out. I had just bought this hat and hadn’t been able to find it....deep down I knew. Drove about 45 minutes to a local vet, who took the dog in and then came back about 20 minutes later with a paper towel. “I found your hat....” 

marysburg

When you said squeaker, I thought you meant a baby pigeon.  Of course, your story was much more interesting than the one I was playing in my head.  Hope it all "works out" ok.  

I would think Gunner would pass that easy enough. Good luck with it Gunner.

Dave in Maine

My Sasha ate, at various times, old handkerchiefs used for gun cleaning (like the vet wrap - pulled them out), a whole ham bone (got gravel instead of poop the next day), a ten-dollar bill, fingers off leather gloves, shoe leather and who knows what else.  She also gnawed up a couple bore brushes for my shotguns.  Apparently, she really liked the taste of Hoppes #9.

Oh, and there was that time she took a mouthful of my coffee and, deciding she didn't much like it, shook her head, flapped her ears and sprayed it all over the bedroom wall.  And my desk.

And that time she stole a pair of sandwiches from under the driver's seat (stowed there at the beginning of and for me on a long road trip).  She got the message:  "I hope you enjoyed them because you're not getting anything to eat until I get the plastic wrap back."

The tenner was special.  After recovering it at the back end, I was able to reassemble it (disposable painter's plastic gloves came in handy).  Recognizing it would be inappropriate to take it to the bank for a new one in "as recovered" condition I soaked it in dish detergent and water for ... a month.  Then I decided it had been sterilized enough.  Flattened it out and dried it (paper towels helped) and wrapped it in plastic wrap.  At the bank, the teller gave me a curious look.  I elided exactly where I'd recovered it but made clear the dog had eaten it and it was perhaps best to leave it in the plastic.  Which she did.

Mike Connally
2 hours ago, EB&Me said:

I would think Gunner would pass that easy enough. Good luck with it Gunner.

I took Dogwood’s advice and ran him today. 2 1/2 hours 6 woodcock finds. 
He seems fine. We’ve never found that squeaker again. 

Mike , I'll take Gunner here if this behavior persists !

WPG Gizmo

Dogs eat all sorts of things and pass them with no issues I hate to tell you how many socks I have found in the back yard.

Put your ear to his belly and poke him a few time to see if you hear it