Lamb liver and onions

Jazz4Brazo

I have always been a fan of baby beef/calves liver and onions. My mom always soaked the liver in milk then drenched back and forth in flour, salt, paper and into a cast iron frying pan that had just finished frying onions in butter...bliss and lost of memories...mom used to pair it with a simple side of mashed potatoes.

I recently posted about getting local organic grass fed lamb from a friend...after enjoying incredible loin chops both on the grill and in a cast iron frying pan I decided to try the lambs liver using mom's cooking style but sans mashed potatoes to limit my carbs 😄

I will never be able to enjoy baby beef liver again...this lamb liver is simply at another level...Freakin Amazing!!!

Just sayin 🥰🥰🥰

J4B 

Mike da Carpenter

Sounds as though you really like it.  If it were me, I’d eat your potatoes and you could have my liver.  I’ve tried liver from a few different animals, and I just cannot do it.  I have not tried Lamb though, maybe it is different.

Jazz4Brazo

It's an acquired taste 😄

Mike da Carpenter
26 minutes ago, Jazz4Brazo said:

It's an acquired taste 😄

Either like it, or go acquire some taste.  HA!!

Jazz4Brazo

No one's ever accused me of having any taste 🤪😄😄

The only way I can eat liver is in Boudan or dirty rice, 

bigjohnsd

I have an Aussie Mate who comes and rides motorcycles with me most years.

He is a clasicaly trained chef and he always tries to get me to try Lamb Liver.

My mother used to do Calves Liver the way Pierre describes it above.

Just the smell makes me gag.

Maybe I'll have to try the Lambs Liver.  

Lamb liver is prized around our house. Once in a while if I catch him in giving mood one of my life friends who owns a large meat retailer will bag a couple of whole lamb livers for me, gratis. Then about 10 years ago the middle eastern  population really expanded here and as soon as he got the halal designation, he couldn't keep up with the demand!

Hint: cook lamb liver or calve's liver to med/rare.

Lamb kidneys on a skewer brushed with rosemary and balsamic vinegar or Italian salad dressing over a bed of hot coals  will cause some ill feelings here  if someone missed a portion.

Jazz4Brazo

Liver has to be done med/rare...overcooked and you might as well eat shoe leather!

Kidneys are in the freezer...will make sure I do them justice...my "source" already had me on the refill list LOL.

Next up is likely a whole shoulder...more to come...decision on whether I debone or not and whether I try smoking one with a reverse sear!!

marysburg

I was a sheep producer for about 25 years, and in my opinion the shoulder is the nicest cut on the lamb.  You can do so much with shoulder, but really, any cut on the BBQ is pretty darn nice done med/rare.  Every summer, we used to slow roast a whole lamb over coals outdoors and invite a couple of families over.  Good times.

Remember when we were all young, and liver, kidney, heart and tongue were all on the supper table regularly?  I guess the supermarkets have taken over and we don't think of eating the entire animal unless it's in hunting season.