Good squirrel recipes

Deer seasons about to end here in Georgia thankfully and as we say down here  I’m “ fixin” to take my new .22 to the woods and chase squirrels.

I would appreciate some tips on the best ways to cook them

thanks

Marc Ret

Pot pie. Not the type baked in a pie crust but rather more stew like made on the stovetop with ribbles or large flat dough noodles and potatoes. I used to substitute squirrel for beef/chicken in the recipe my PA Dutch mother uses. I'd be happy to share if you'd like. 

Yes I’d like that’s why I’m asking my wife asked me to get some tips 

1971snipe

I've always prepared it and cooked it as though it were chicken.  (Same with rabbit, by the way). 

Squirrel stew. 

Squirrel and dumplings. 

Simmered with onions, served with rice and white gravy. 

Chicken fried with potatoes and white gravy.  

And of course, simply battered and fried.  My dad grew up on fried squirrel, in Louisiana.  The head was always left on, and fried along with the rest of the squirrel.  Growing up, I never did get used to that, but no matter.  Dad always got the head whenever our family meals included fried squirrel.  

Lol My wife would kill me if I told her we are eating squirrel heads

browndrake
12 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

Pot pie. Not the type baked in a pie crust but rather more stew like made on the stovetop with ribbles or large flat dough noodles and potatoes. I used to substitute squirrel for beef/chicken in the recipe my PA Dutch mother uses. I'd be happy to share if you'd like. 

My grandmother grew up in PA and her dad was a coal miner. She frequently talked about squirrel pot pie but I never got her recipe...may very well be similar to what you are saying. 

SelbyLowndes

In the late '40s and fifties I was one of those privileged southern white kids everyone loves to hate nowadays. Our black housekeeper (maid) raised us and was part of the family as far as we knew.  I particularly loved that she would cook anything I shot and brought home.  Squirrels were a staple since I was pretty good at that.  I don't know any recipes for anything but squirrel has my vote for good eating...SelbyLowndes

SelbyLowndes

I've been trying to convince Emily to substitute squirrel for pork in her Brunswick Stew recipe.  She looks at me like I asked her to eat rat.  I have had Brunswick Stew with squirrel as a kid and I loved it...SelbyLowndes

1971snipe
5 minutes ago, SelbyLowndes said:

I've been trying to convince Emily to substitute squirrel for pork in her Brunswick Stew recipe.  She looks at me like I asked her to eat rat.  I have had Brunswick Stew with squirrel as a kid and I loved it...SelbyLowndes

I've always thought that Brunswick Stew was specifically for squirrel meat.  

SelbyLowndes
Just now, 1971snipe said:

I've always thought that Brunswick Stew was specifically for squirrel meat.

Originally I think it was.  Frontier 'bush meat'.  I think the meat element changed over to pork when the frontier disappeared...SelbyLowndes 

charlo slim
On 1/8/2021 at 8:38 PM, bobman said:

Deer seasons about to end here in Georgia thankfully and as we say down here  I’m “ fixin” to take my new .22 to the woods and chase squirrels.

I would appreciate some tips on the best ways to cook them

thanks

Good plan.  Enjoy hunting at its simplest, most basic level. Good for kids (of all ages). Excellent eating as well

That said, adult fox squirrels tend to be TOUGH, more so than any of the otherwise edible critters I have encountered. 

Hence, some component of slow, moist cooking is often needed: braise, parboil, even pressure cook etc..... at least for older individuals. 

WMassGriff
53 minutes ago, SelbyLowndes said:

She looks at me like I asked her to eat rat.

My wife calls them Tree Rats! She refused to indulge my childhood memories of fricassee squirrel! I liked it as well as Cottontail.

On 1/9/2021 at 12:07 AM, bobman said:

Yes I’d like that’s why I’m asking my wife asked me to get some tips 

Give me a few days. I should be able to have it by this weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...

We always fried young squirrels and made dumplings with the old ones.   I would pay a lot for a dish of my Grandmother’s squirrel dumplings.

molliesmaster

I grilled a batch last year and they were pretty delicious.   My wife and I don't do fried food much so I was just experimenting.   Treat them like a game bird, don't over cook it.