Last night my wife discovered a strange lump on one of our dogs (a pitty, boxer, border collie mix who is roughly 4 years old). On a rear leg right below the knee she had a lump about the size of a grape, did not seem painful or bothering her. This morning it is grown to about the size of a golf ball and she has a smaller one right below the knee on the front leg same side. Wife is a vet tech and has been texting some of the vets at work who have no idea, she will get in tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas here? 

WPG Gizmo

If it grew that much overnight I would be concerned no idea what it is but Griff mojo heading your way

No experience with anything like that. Sending positive thoughts and big UJ mojo your way!

Jazz4Brazo

Ouch...best wishes for her...keep a close eye on it til you get her to a vet given how fast it grew...very odd.

Chukarman

My dog, Andy, developed something very similar just at the beginning of my Montana hunting this Fall. He went to a vet clinic in Billings, was diagnosed and surgery ensued. They cut from his knee, up the front of his leg and over to his short rib. Removed a mess of growth that had not, fortunately, penetrated or attached to a muscle. It took weeks to heal. There are currently no signs of further growths.

I do hope that you do not have similar problems.

PS: I had buzzed him down and bathed him just days before we left AZ for Montana and there was no problem evident. It came on VERY fast. Act now.

12 hours ago, Chukarman said:

My dog, Andy, developed something very similar just at the beginning of my Montana hunting this Fall. He went to a vet clinic in Billings, was diagnosed and surgery ensued. They cut from his knee, up the front of his leg and over to his short rib. Removed a mess of growth that had not, fortunately, penetrated or attached to a muscle. It took weeks to heal. There are currently no signs of further growths.

I do hope that you do not have similar problems.

PS: I had buzzed him down and bathed him just days before we left AZ for Montana and there was no problem evident. It came on VERY fast. Act now.

Wife talked to the owner and head vet at the clinic she works at last night and this type of issue was the first thought. It also grew a bit more overnight and she has a limp now. Wife just left to take he in to work with her today. Scary part is that its on both a front and rear leg. She had a bit of a limp the last couple weeks but no swelling or lump and it had just gotten better. 

Fire Marshal Bill

My Griff had a lump on his throat about the size of a golf ball, next day took him to the vet, it had grown to the size of a baseball. A week later he was gone, cancer. I hope this is not the case with your dog. Mojo on the way. 

Brad Eden

I’m use to lumps on my dogs. All fatty lipomas and non threatening. But they grow slow and are removed if they become an issue with dogs comfort or activity. Good to get on top of that with such a rapid growth. Good luck and hopes for nothing serious. 

Do you want me to move this to the Dog Health/Vet sub forum to Birddogs Forum....Might get more traction? (Although this registered forum is private for Members, the sub forum is public) 

I can't remember the name of it, but I had a lab that had some wart like skin tags when he got older that were actually blood vessels.  If he irritated one of them it would blow up like a grape very rapidly.  Whatever those things are called, fatty lipomas, cysts, and warts have been common on all of my dogs when they got older.  Definitely something to get looked at though.  Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

I’m use to lumps on my dogs. All fatty lipomas and non threatening. But they grow slow and are removed if they become an issue with dogs comfort or activity. Good to get on top of that with such a rapid growth. Good luck and hopes for nothing serious. 

Do you want me to move this to the Dog Health/Vet sub forum to Birddogs Forum....Might get more traction? (Although this registered forum is private for Members, the sub forum is public) 

Sure that makes sense to move it. I always end up posting in registered members out of habit mostly. 

She spent all day at the vet and was seen after hours, they think it is fluid not a tumor, pills and rest for now. Seems like it would make way more sense on one joint not two but I am not a vet so deffer to them. 

A lot depends on the physical exam of the mass. If it is fluxulent, it may be an abscess or cyst. If hard and solid, that suggests tumor. In either case, the vet can stick a needle in and see what it recovers by histology. If it is an infection, a needle biopsy can provide a sample for culture. Rubbery slow growing masses are usually lipomas and generally don't occur on the extremities.

Hope it is nothing serious.

14 hours ago, SLR said:

A lot depends on the physical exam of the mass. If it is fluxulent, it may be an abscess or cyst. If hard and solid, that suggests tumor. In either case, the vet can stick a needle in and see what it recovers by histology. If it is an infection, a needle biopsy can provide a sample for culture. Rubbery slow growing masses are usually lipomas and generally don't occur on the extremities.

Hope it is nothing serious.

The vet who saw her Monday recommended antibiotics and rumidol and wait and see. Wife talked to the owner and she is going back in to have it poked on Friday, it came on fast and grew fast, very strong antibiotics did not make it smaller but it stopped growing, looking like infection.