1971snipe

We had BBQ today for Sunday lunch, purchased locally and it was very good.  Single slices of various types of pie were had for desert, and I ended up with coconut cream.  It actually wasn't too bad, in fact it was pretty good.  But still, my ranking is apple first, then pecan.  After that it varies.  Lemon, key lime, summertime tomato pie.  But now, I think that a good coconut cream pie has taken over third place.  

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SODAKer

• 1971snipe

• mccuha

• SelbyLowndes

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Timely thread. Steve, my hunting buddy for nearly forty years is visiting AZ and hunting quail. He has fruit trees on his acreage in NoCal and brings me PEACHES and PEACH PIE MIX when he stays with me

I gotta agree with Uplander. My favorite is likely strawberry rhubarb but a blueberry pie made from hand picked Maine low bush blueberries (ever so slightly tart) and baked by the wife is a very close

My Grandmother used to make a Pheasant Pot Pie that was to die for!!   I can not believe I am the only person who likes Saskatoon Berry pie. Fresh from the oven with a scoop of chocolate ice

Posted Images

I'm a sucker for blueberry/blackberry pie. Strawberry/rhubarb too.

Then it's apple and finally pecan pie.

All with vanilla ice cream required!

Never heard of tomato pie... what's that like? I live on tomato sandwiches all summer, the pie sounds intriguing.

Don Steese

Coconut cream, banana cream, pecan then everything else. Apple is pretty far down the list...unless irts one of the homemade ones from the grocery store in XXXXX, Montana. In the produce section, and pick up some vanilla ice cream!

1971snipe
22 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I'm a sucker for blueberry/blackberry pie. Strawberry/rhubarb too.

Then it's apple and finally pecan pie.

All with vanilla ice cream required!

Never heard of tomato pie... what's that like? I live on tomato sandwiches all summer, the pie sounds intriguing.

Here's one.  https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021252-heirloom-tomato-tart

The first time I'd heard of tomato pie was on the old snipehunter.com forum (no longer active), someone shared a recipe that featured layers of tomatoes and crust.  It was very intriguing and very rich.  I'll have to look for it, but one of the other former snipehunter forum participants may have the recipe handy.  

Pecan, pecan, pecan, raspberry, lemon. And pecan. 

Skybuster

Pecan #1 followed by banana cream the way dear old Mom made it. Ripe bananas of course.

pecan coconut cream are a toss up then blueberry

Fire Marshal Bill

Blueberry, banana cream, apple and most all pies!!!

Banana cream, apple, pumpkin,blueberry...anything else I'm fine skipping the desert. 

I am a diabetic but when I could eat pie pecan, coconut cream, custard and blueberry were among my favorites.  However, I grew up on chess pie.  Might as well been pure sugar.  Was my first choice. One time I had blueberry chess pie.  The ultimate pie.

I may be "PIE HOTSPOTTING" but if during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays you can't make or find a good pie and live near a Cracker Barrel Old Country Store Restaurant they have really good pies to go from about November 1st to Christmas Eve.  Usually have pecan, chocolate pecan, apple and apple strudel.  Have pumpkin pie until Thanksgiving eve.  We were quite surprised at the quality of these pies.

browndrake

I'm spoiled. Before covid hit I taught my daughter how to make pies she started a baking business.   Pretty much shut down with covid but she just started to roll them out again.

The best part is that I just have to suggest I'd like a pie and she makes it. 

For years my favourite was warm blueberry pie with Vanilla Ice cream. Apple pie made with sweet apples not tart has taken over as 1st place. Pecan pie is probably 2nd and coconut cream and cherry berry tie for 3rd.

It's a whole different genre but homemade chicken pot pie is off the charts also.

gaberdeen

My mothers chocolate cream pie then blueberry. My wife makes a very good strawberry rhubarb also.

depends on the season and what I'm eating for dinner. 

I don't have a real sweet tooth but I cant say no to KeyLime pie after any type of BBQ.