SelbyLowndes

I fell in love with Saskatoon-Berries on a summer trip to Canada, picking and eating them straight off the trees.  I 'discovered' the trees while hunting for prairie lilies to photograph.  Also found teepee rings.  I always bring home Sask-berry preserves and wonder if the preserves would make a good pie?

My favorite though has to be late summer freestone elberta variety GA peach pie heated with a piece of rat cheese melted on top and a side of H.M.F.P.I. C.  (home made fresh peach ice cream)...SelbyLowndes 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SODAKer

• 1971snipe

• mccuha

• SelbyLowndes

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Timely thread. Steve, my hunting buddy for nearly forty years is visiting AZ and hunting quail. He has fruit trees on his acreage in NoCal and brings me PEACHES and PEACH PIE MIX when he stays with me

I gotta agree with Uplander. My favorite is likely strawberry rhubarb but a blueberry pie made from hand picked Maine low bush blueberries (ever so slightly tart) and baked by the wife is a very close

My Grandmother used to make a Pheasant Pot Pie that was to die for!!   I can not believe I am the only person who likes Saskatoon Berry pie. Fresh from the oven with a scoop of chocolate ice

Posted Images

About 10 years ago, a UJ stalwart and I were hunting on the Canadian prairies when we stopped at a small cafe for some snacks. People noticed our hunting clothes and asked what game we were chasing. When told huns and sharptails were our targets an attractive matron spoke up and requested that we go and shoot the sharpies in her saskatoon berry orchard. She gave us her telephone number, directions and promised to meet us at the orchard. We arrived at the appointed designation where she was waiting for us with a large, still warm, saskatoon berry pie. I believe we both made a step towards heaven with our first taste. Never did find any sharptails there, just a few rabbits.

SelbyLowndes
1 hour ago, Ben Hong said:

We arrived at the appointed designation where she was waiting for us with a large, still warm, saskatoon berry pie. I believe we both made a step towards heaven with our first taste. Never did find any sharptails there, just a few rabbits.

Wow!  Did you know that Sask berry is the same species as a popular landscape plant, the Serviceberry?  I have a couple of office buildings here in town that have fruit bearing plantings of it.  People sometimes stare at me when they notice I have a paper bag and am busy picking ripe Sask berries in the Summer.  I planted some on my farm here in GA as well...SelbyLowndes

1971snipe
1 hour ago, SelbyLowndes said:

Wow!  Did you know that Sask berry is the same species as a popular landscape plant, the Serviceberry?  I have a couple of office buildings here in town that have fruit bearing plantings of it.  People sometimes stare at me when they notice I have a paper bag and am busy picking ripe Sask berries in the Summer.  I planted some on my farm here in GA as well...SelbyLowndes

One spring I spotted blackberry blooms alongside a hwy and mentally marked the spot.  Later, when I noticed berries were turning black from red, I stopped on my way home from work, and was quickly filling a container with berries.  Before I was done picking, at least 3 co-workers, including the asst plant manager, had pulled off the road to check on me, thinking that I was broke down.  No one could believe it, and I never lived that down.  Those guys just didn't know what they were missing.  

browndrake

from the pics on google, the sask berrries that you all have back there are not exactly like the ones we have growing wild here in southern utah and northern az.    The birds love ours but the berries are very small and are mostly seed. Taste isn't bad though...

SelbyLowndes
18 hours ago, browndrake said:

from the pics on google, the sask berrries that you all have back there are not exactly like the ones we have growing wild here in southern utah and northern az.    The birds love ours but the berries are very small and are mostly seed. Taste isn't bad though...

Yes, the ornamental cultivars I see must have been bred for flowers, not fruit.  The fruit is smaller than the ones I find on the Sask high prairie.  The ones in Sask. are lots bigger...SelbyLowndes