Jump to content

Anal Glands


Recommended Posts

shoot-straight

Hey everyone. My 1yo pudlepointer likes to lick his behind. And it stinks. Google says it's his anal glands. I've taken him to the vet a few times and they have expressed them. The licking seems to pretty much stop for a while then ramps back up after a few weeks.
 

This is a new area for me, my labs never had an issue with them. I have read that dogs with hard, firm stools have less problems. It makes sense. My labs were both good in that department- except when exercising. Then they would start with a firm one, then follow up with one that would be softer. I hear that's not uncommon. 
 

Bodhi is high energy. He gets tons of exercise and goes full bore all the time. My wife loves to walk and takes him 2x a day and I run Him a bit too. It does seem that when he gets less exercise, his poop seems to tighen up a bit. Everything just seems to go in high gear for him, including his bowels most of the time.
 

im wondering if the softer bowels are the issue, and what I can do to help. I have Read that more fiber can help stimulate the glands when he poops. Thinking pumpkin? I just Don't know what the long term effects of giving it every day will be, if any. I have used it many times to help with diarrhea short term. 
 

for the record, he was on PP puppy until recently and was gradually moved to PP performance. No changes in poop during the change. Conditions have been the same on both foods. I do Want to put a bit more weight on him. He's a bit thinner than I think he should be. I know Over feeding can cause soft stools too. Don't think that's the case though. He's 60# and getting 1 1/2 cups 2x a day.

 

thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

I am a bit of an anal gland expert....I have had dogs with this issue. So I learned to express them myself. Excerpt from a previous anal stench Topic:

 

I've had dogs with anal gland issues. Never figured out why. I learned to express the anal glands myself when I detected the stench, or saw the embarrassed look on their faces. Just take a big wad of wet paper towel, straddle the dog backwards, lift tail, and kneed around the poop chute with the paper towel. You know when you are successful and can even hear it coming out of the glands. Then I spray the butt with some fragrant doggy spray you can buy. Honestly it's not that hard or a big deal.......

 

With that said, Luna the Cav had a couple incidents of an impacted anal gland so we started putting a big dollop of plain pumpkin from a can into both dogs food in the AM. (they are fed twice a day). It seems to work and Cash hasn’t stunk up the house or my truck and Luna hasn’t had any anal issues for quite a spell. 
 

Cash is on PPP but we swapped out the Cav to Science Diet/diet formula because she was becoming a fat piglet. Both have nice flingable poops, but during hunting’s season when Cash was working hard he might stop a few times and do a soft poop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pudgy gopher

I feed a half a can twice a week of green beans. The ruffage help keep the gland functioning and clean.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I am a bit of an anal gland expert....I have had dogs with this issue. So I learned to express them myself. Excerpt from a previous anal stench Topic:

 

I've had dogs with anal gland issues. Never figured out why. I learned to express the anal glands myself when I detected the stench, or saw the embarrassed look on their faces. Just take a big wad of wet paper towel, straddle the dog backwards, lift tail, and kneed around the poop chute with the paper towel. You know when you are successful and can even hear it coming out of the glands. Then I spray the butt with some fragrant doggy spray you can buy. Honestly it's not that hard or a big deal.......

 

With that said, Luna the Cav had a couple incidents of an impacted anal gland so we started putting a big dollop of plain pumpkin from a can into both dogs food in the AM. (they are fed twice a day). It seems to work and Cash hasn’t stunk up the house or my truck and Luna hasn’t had any anal issues for quite a spell. 
 

Cash is on PPP but we swapped out the Cav to Science Diet/diet formula because she was becoming a fat piglet. Both have nice flingable poops, but during hunting’s season when Cash was working hard he might stop a few times and do a soft poop.

 

That about sums it up.  I'll add that the higher fiber weight management diets are more effective for AG issues then pumpkin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If your going to express them yourself do it outside and stand off to one side

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a lab that had problems emptying his.  I had to express them or they would get infected.  He actually developed scar tissue and my vet considered removing them if they got any worse.  For some reason in his last few years he didn't have any problems with them.  You could see him empty them whenever he went to the bathroom.  I don't know if it's a muscular thing that they can contract and empty themselves or if it's purely external stimulus from going to the bathroom.  All I can say is good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My bloodhound was having some issues and the vet recommend this 3/4 of a teaspoon once a day and no issues since. Its the powdered anal gland supplement. No idea if it was what solved it but knock on wood no issues since we started it a few months ago. 

 

Dont want to let them get impacted, by hound developed an absess which was not fun for her or us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
fourtrax57
On 1/11/2021 at 11:48 AM, robp said:

If your going to express them you self do it out side and stand off to one side

 

 

YEP YEP!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 1/11/2021 at 10:06 AM, Pudgy gopher said:

I feed a half a can twice a week of green beans. The ruffage help keep the gland functioning and clean.

This. Not the first time I've read that a fairly regular supplement of green beans in their diet can help alleviate anal gland issues. On the few occasions mine have had a temporary issue I've done this and it seems to help. I would start supplementing green beans right over the dog's kibble several feedings a week. It sounds like your dog may have a more persistent, recurring issue so you might want to do this regularly for the life of the dog.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've been giving a few spoonfuls of pumpkin on his food 2x a day since I started this thread. I can Say there has been a little better change, but still an issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still doing a dollop of pumpkin in both dogs food once a day. Haven’t had any impacted glands with the Cav since. And Cash hasn’t spread the stank around either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shoot-straight said:

We've been giving a few spoonfuls of pumpkin on his food 2x a day since I started this thread. I can Say there has been a little better change, but still an issue.

Maybe try using more pumpkin or add the green beans too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...