Florida Surf Fishing

You also need a bunch of hardware to upgrade the cheap stuff the manufacturer puts on those $20 lures. It will fail.

8FFCC94F-C071-437F-A67A-FA7A38376E6F.jpeg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brdhntr47

• barna

• tut

• GraceinVA

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I fish the beaches here in Florida every morning. I walk the beach looking for signs of feeding fish and cast artificial lures on light tackle. If I don’t see any signs of fish I blind cast. Some days

Flat water today. 1’ waves at 11 seconds. While you can see everything going on in those conditions the fish don’t usually like it. I was ready to write the day off. Wrong. Found a Bluefish blitz goin

Since I can’t seem to get the video to load. Someone took this one of me today right about sunrise.

Posted Images

No one on the beach this morning except me. Terrible conditions for fishing. Flat water, very low tide and fog followed by very bright sun. Didn’t expect anything but I did have a good fish on for five minutes or so. Could not get it out of the first trough. No waves to work with so it just becomes a tug of war hoping the lure doesn’t come out. It did.

BDDC91CE-B243-427B-9CD8-263547D70204.jpeg

Saturday Evening. What a change a few hours make. Walked on the beach at 4:30 PM. Perfect conditions.High water starting to drop, 3’ waves, and a 10 mph NE wind. Perfect Bluefish water.Got a Blue 6#’s about 5:30 but that was my only strike. Covered a 1/2 mile of beach. Nothing. Walked back and was ready to leave. Decided to stay till dark dark. Good plan. About 6:45 PM started fishing again and the fish were there. Eight Blues on. Landed five. Using my sophisticated measuring system put the fish at 30” - 32” which converts to 8 - 10 lbs. Big Bluefish for Florida. I had no light with me so getting those guys off the hook was exciting. But I still have all my fingers.

Only pic is the first fish. Too dark when the big guys came around.

D41B3352-191E-4459-87F1-5C40857B5CF6.jpeg

My favorite surf fish is the Florida Pompano.  Surprised they aren't in your list of fish caught.  Sandfleas and small pomp jigs.  Gil

Pompano are very popular fish on the beach but it is a bait fishing proposition. I do catch the rare Pompano on a lure but it is an accident when I get one. I like any fish that will grab an artificial and tug. This year is shaping up to be a Bluefish year.

Someone asked about eating Bluefish.  Only way I like them is to fillet them and then skin them and on the skin side cut out all the red you see as it tastes nasty.  IMO they don't fry worth a darn and are much better grilled because they are oily buggers.  PS.  They don't freeze worth a crap either. Fresh is the way to go with bluefish, but even then they aren't great to eat.  Grouper or snapper is a whole lot better.   Double PS.  Spanish Mackerel is also a fish that is much better grilled then fried as they are greasy as hell and IMO they don't freeze worth a darn either. 

Most of the guys that I know that keep them, either smoke them or make fish dip out of them. The fish dip is pretty good.

One group of guys that I know well,  keep every Blue they catch or can get from someone else. They freeze them and take them back to Michigan, That has to be some poor eats after 4 or 5 months in the freezer.

Very nice Bluefish water this morning. The fish hit the beach just before sunrise and were gone as soon as the sun broke the horizon.

5E704047-D93F-42AF-B366-B7E4B739E2B4.jpeg

038DD7F5-CF6A-44DD-8BB3-3B3268CFBECA.jpeg

2 hours ago, Brdhntr47 said:

Most of the guys that I know that keep them, either smoke them or make fish dip out of them. The fish dip is pretty good.

One group of guys that I know well,  keep every Blue they catch or can get from someone else. They freeze them and take them back to Michigan, That has to be some poor eats after 4 or 5 months in the freezer.

After about 4 or 5 weeks in the freezer.  They turn to mush based on personal experience learned the hard way.

Fished again Sunday evening. East wind @ 10, and 4’ surf. Fish won. 18 strikes, 15 fish on and only 4 landed. And I got hit with waist high waves all evening. Surf fishing is FUN.

05F79D2D-D608-46BA-B872-9A7ED4B196BD.jpeg

No fishing Monday. 6’ surf and east wind at 17. Wash was right to the dunes. No way to get a lure anywhere near a fish.

This morning conditions were great. Incoming tide, 2’ surf, south wind at 5. Perfect conditions only there were no fish. I covered 2 miles without a strike.

Days like today are why I hate to tell my friends when to come down here fishing.