ATbuckhunter

I picked up my new pup on the 9th (9 weeks) and when I play with her she mostly wants to put my fingers in her mouth and chew on them. she also loves to chew on what ever clothes im wearing as well. Now its pretty soft and rarely hurts, but im wondering if I should work to stop it because when she does get excited it can get a little harder. Or am I over thinking it too much? 

Sorry if its a dumb question, im new to owning a dog

marysburg

It's not unusual behaviour, and sometimes aggravating.  If you give her something like a toy to hold in her mouth, she won't be mouthing your hands.  Road hockey puck. deer antler,  or small bumper might be something she would like, and safe for her to have.  Remember that a tired puppy is a good puppy, and wear her out running in the yard.  This mouthing stage doesn't last long. 

Hal Standish

Well good for you. Of course we have no idea what you have there, fish or fowl. If this finger chewing is the only issue you have over the next 12 months you will have it made.  Best of fortunes with your new pup.

Hal

Brad Eden

As mentioned. Also IMO.... if a Puppy isn’t mouthing and chewing on everything there is something wrong. Unfortunately this can become an issue if there are young kids in the house. A puppy has sharp teeth...it’s not a good thing for the puppy to get use to mouthing and chewing on human appendages. A sharp “no” and a tap on the nose when they start can typically end that routine for some puppies. We have spaniels and they generally get the idea pretty quick what’s acceptable, other harder dogs might need more aggressive “NO’s”. We fill the house with chew toys (Kong’s and other medium hard bone toys...chews that can’t be broken up and swallowed) so there is always something for the puppy to chew on and are diligent about not leaving anything like shoes or slippers or anything we want intact out and about. If being crate trained you can usually avoid any destroyed furniture and the like. Have fun!

Congrats on the new pup!  The chewing sounds completely normal.  It's a phase we all must deal with.  They chew because that's how they explore the world, or they're teething, or they're just bored.  Keep a toy handy.  Biting is more something they do when they play.  That's how they interacted with their litter mates.  They have to learn it's not ok to bite people though.  I mostly used the "ouch" method" to break my pup, and he was a pretty aggressive biter.  If it got more aggressive a tap on the nose and a "no" like Brad said, or crate them for a while to calm down.  Keep the bandaids handy, there will be blood . . .😉

077B4221-7D4C-422B-ABB7-47C5AC90B5AD.thumb.jpeg.f9ac9706ec28e26ed009f1d19f9e61aa.jpeg

Brad Eden

It’s funny though...some puppies can be selective. When we got our little Cav she didn’t have a propensity to chew on everything. Unlike the bird hunting dogs we enjoy. She went to great lengths to ferret out a certain pair of my wife’s slippers. She was obsessed with chewing on the rawhide laces. Just those laces. She ignored all other shoes, even those with similar rawhide laces. My wife would hide them in her closet but forget to close the door. Luna would find them....

WMassGriff

Agree with all responses. Always have an alternative chew for the pup available and don't get upset at it when you find one of your possessions destroyed because you didn't keep it out of harms way. Ask me how I know.....

Also I hope you are crate training as it will keep the pup out of trouble when you can't watch it.

ATbuckhunter

Appreciate the responses guys! I let her bite my hand and said ouch and bopped he on the nose. Seemed to work pretty well so far. I think If I continue with that, she'll be alright I think. I haven't started crate training her yet as I'm away from her 8 hours a day during work, and the first night I put her in the crate, she did not like it at all. I've been giving her meals in there and she seems to be okay with going in there. I need to charge the clicker first, which I just got in the mail today. 

13 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Appreciate the responses guys! I let her bite my hand and said ouch and bopped he on the nose. Seemed to work pretty well so far. I think If I continue with that, she'll be alright I think. I haven't started crate training her yet as I'm away from her 8 hours a day during work, and the first night I put her in the crate, she did not like it at all. I've been giving her meals in there and she seems to be okay with going in there. I need to charge the clicker first, which I just got in the mail today. 

Is she out all the time right now?

ATbuckhunter
1 hour ago, RedL said:

Is she out all the time right now?

She’s out most of the time, but in a pen. So she doesn’t have free roam of the house all the time. Especially when I’m not home

6 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

She’s out most of the time, but in a pen. So she doesn’t have free roam of the house all the time. Especially when I’m not home

I would get started on the crate training right away.  It goes hand in hand with house breaking.  If they're out and about too much they will have accidents, and that will reinforce a bad habit.  Do you have an outdoor kennel you can put her in during the day while you're gone for 8 hours?  That's too long for the crate at that age.  She'll have accidents.     

The only thing I would add is that instead of saying "ouch," I try to yipe like a littermate would when the bite gets to rough. Seems to work in getting their attention quickly. After yiping, I then immediately turn away and ignore the pup for a few moments. 

ATbuckhunter
1 hour ago, RedL said:

I would get started on the crate training right away.  It goes hand in hand with house breaking.  If they're out and about too much they will have accidents, and that will reinforce a bad habit.  Do you have an outdoor kennel you can put her in during the day while you're gone for 8 hours?  That's too long for the crate at that age.  She'll have accidents.     

While im away I keep her crated in a room just for her with a bunch of her toys. I don't have an outdoor kennel, plus its a bit too cold for that right now