Black Buck Antelope in TX

Shot this one today in the Hill Country. Tiny animals. Doubt it weighed 75 pounds live.

black buck.jpg

I lived in Texas for years.  They are neat little animals.  Very striking to see them up and close.  I've been told they are outstanding table fare. 

10 hours ago, tut said:

I've been told they are outstanding table fare. 

yeah looking forward to trying it.

Nice.  Is that free range hunting or high fence? 

13 hours ago, Big Al said:

Nice.  Is that free range hunting or high fence? 

High fence. It was shooting not hunting but not a lot of opportunities in Texas where feeders are not involved.

7 hours ago, garyRI said:

High fence. It was shooting not hunting but not a lot of opportunities in Texas where feeders are not involved.

Lived in SA in the late 1980's.  Most everything was high fence unless a flash flood knocked the fence down.  I was told that's how black buck antelope and Axis deer (and other exotics) ended up being spread all over Texas as they were escapees.  That's one of the reason's there is no season on exotic game.  Put Axis deer and a bunch of whitetail into a small area and the Whitetail won't last long as the Axis can survive on different types of food the Whitetail can't and thus the Whitetail will lose out in the long run.  

1 hour ago, tut said:

Put Axis deer and a bunch of whitetail into a small area and the Whitetail won't last long as the Axis can survive on different types of food the Whitetail can't and thus the Whitetail will lose out in the long run.  

Not what I have observed. 

Axis and Whitetail seem to coexist around Bandera TX/Hill Country. Driving around you see Axis and WT in low fence areas all the time. I own 10 acres in Bandera and put a feeder on it. Both species come to the feeder.

One of my SIL's family has 600 low fence acres and they have Axis and WT. Also see a few Red Deer on their game cameras(& one cousin shot a Wallabee a couple years ago??!!). If anything the WT seem to do better than the Axis.

I have never seen what I would consider a free range Blackbuck, although there must be a few. Blackbuck like American Antelope don't jump fences & can be contained by a 4' fence.