Thoughts on Filson Upland jacket?

Been looking at the Filson Wildfowl Upland jacket? Found a store with then in stock in Tin Cloth. Never owned a Tin Cloth jacket and was wondering about your thoughts on it for quail and grouse hunting? What do you wear under it for insulation? Seems like they are built very well. 

bigdog MN

Tin cloth is impervious to brush and thorns, I love mine for wearing in thick cover.  There will be replies that say it can be hot (true) and does not breath (also true), but its tough material which is what I prefer.

If I need insulation I wear either a fleece pull over or a light Thinsulate jacket. The nylon of the Thinsulate slides a little easier in the arms and assists with mounting gun vs the fleece.

Should mention that I wear a thin, wicking tee as a baselayer to avoid sweat build up. I sweat in everything, Gore-tex, stuff with breathable treatments, etc, etc.

Edited by bigdog MN
added content
erik meade

It can be hot. And it does not breath.

:)

I guess it just depends on where you are hunting.  In the south hot and doesn't breathe doesn't go well together.

Bird_Man_mike
18 minutes ago, erik meade said:

It can be hot. And it does not breath.

:)

Has anyone mentioned how hot it can be?

I wore a tin cloth jacket for years.  Still wear it occasionally. 

It can be hot and it does not breath (if this hasnt been mentioned yet).  Youd think this would be great for cold weather - and it is - but its difficult to get the layering right, especially when physical activity is involved.  Youll leave the vehicle slightly chilly, work up a sweat moving (because the jacket is hot and does not breath), stop moving for short time, then be freezing cold because you are wet with sweat.  

Great protection in cover, at least.  

Mike

Recoil Rob

I've gotten to the point where I can't stand the smell of the wax. Someone here mentioned he had his dry-cleaned to remove the wax, gonna give that a try.

Bird_Man_mike

Oh ya, the wax is another 'issue'.  The wax is wonderful as a water repellent when the jacket is cool and dry.  Works great.  However, when you work up a sweat (because the jacket is hot and does not breath in case this hasnt been mentioned) the jacket heats up and the wax becomes much less viscous and will transfer to you and other articles of clothing, making you and them 'greasy'.  I basically stopped waxing my jacket due to the often greasy feeling it left me with.  

Mike

here's the thing.  They are cool. I like the looks and all and some stuff made with waxed canvas is great like chaps,vests, and possibly hats.  Jackets and pants to me just don't work any more.  You have to remember that if you were a waterfowler waxed canvas was awesome when it came out.  It helped keep you dry but since new technology, waxed canvas is not the answer any more. I like the looks and can appreciate the old school feel but there's so many better options out there now.  

My buddy has a pair of the Tin Cloth bibs.  Not even sure they are being made.  He could only wear them in temps less then 30 degree's because they just didn't breathe.  I will say we hunted in about 10 degree weather with 30 MPH winds one time in Montana and he was the only one that stayed warm and dry.  PS.  Damn things might be bullet proof.  Never ever did anything penetrate them for sure. 

I have one that went by that name, style 435, and it does not breathe.  However, I've sat waiting for deer down to 17degrees and it kept me pretty warm.  I've got another tin cloth coat that isn't so warm due in part to it not having knit cuffs to seal the sleeves, letting air in makes a big difference, however, if I walk in other-than-cold weather with that coat the sweat will pour.  Nice thing about that 435 is all of the pocket capacity.  They have changed it in a couple of ways over the years, mine has no zipper closure up the front, rather an inner flap is retained with 3 metal snaps and the outer shell closes with 5 large buttons.  With sufficient undergarments I rarely seal it up entirely...because it doesn't breathe and those knit cuffs keep air from coming up the sleeves.  My other deer hunting coat is a black double mackinaw, for deer hunting in either one I wear a blaze orange Filson cape that covers upper torso and sleeves.  

My Blackhawk with 7.5" barrel easily fits in one of the front "game bag" pouches, the knife, tow rope, snacks, gloves, etc. fit in the one on the other side, 4 pockets up front separate other sundries, the inner pocket on the left holds T.P., the slightly larger one within the right side pouch holds the cell phone.  Two slant pockets above the 4 front pockets are lined and nice places to warm the hands.  I really like this coat.

3eed862b2618f5a55ae843c3df465789.jpg (452×452) (pinimg.com)

Windrider

Tin cloth turns briars like a semi flexible suite of armor.  I wear Tin cloth pants in the heavy brush these days when it’s below 55 degrees. But the jacket... well... that get’s out the one day every other year or so that it’s below 40 in the afternoon.

Perchance one did not notice in the previous commentaries of which one may have only cursorily reviewed... The insular properties and weight of the waxed canvas fabric, while giving enhanced structural integrity to the garment and protection to the wearer, has a statistically significant probability of creating a moist tropical environment within the confines of the garment.  Physical exertions necessary to successfully harvest the mighty “King of upland game birds” has a tendency to magnify said tropic conditions to those comparable to that of the Amazon rain forest such that few homosapiens may abide by the strength of said microclimate.  Except, of course, on the chilliest of outings with a blistering north wind, foreboding overcast skies threatening snow, and/or unseemly inhospitable Arctic environments.  (In plain talk: it’s hot and it don’t breath.)🤪

Jim Vander

For use in Ga, Id say not. I have one had it for years and it comes out for Nov Dakota trips and even then its too much if Im humping though the breaks.

I gave mine to the local homeless guy!  It was just to uncomfortable to wear hunting!

Brdhntr47

I had one years ago, when Filson still made quality products. I never wore it hunting but I did wear it out to dinner at various restaurants around the Chesapeake Bay. It made me look very “old school.” 

pa'tridge hunters

I wear mine when I'm using the snow blower nothing goes through it. If I use it hunting it would have to be on a cold day.