I have sportdog collars and handheld.  I like the size of both.  Ive contemplated upgrading to a alpha or 550+ but seeing the problems a couple friends have I'm rethinking it.  I have a astro 320 that works flawless and is great.    My question is.  I cant remember off the top of my head what series of unit I have but I know my collars are supposed to be 1/2 mile rated.  I'm thinking of buying one of the more advanced units that can handle more dogs than mine does and offers more features than mine.  Will my collars work with a new unit if it's a more updated unit than I own right now.  I'm pretty sure what I have right now is the 825.   I'm thinking to going to the 1825.    Thanks

Give Gun Dog Supply a call and ask. They should be able to answer in a flash!

1 hour ago, bmeador said:

Give Gun Dog Supply a call and ask. They should be able to answer in a flash!

I agree.  I bought my Sportdog collar from them and they were very knowledgeable.  I have also heard Sportdog technical service is very helpful if you contact them. 

yeah I agree with you guys on there customer service.  I need to give them a call. I just thought one of you may have had dealings with this before.

Pretty sure the collars are fairly universal. If you go to their replacement parts you can look at what collars and remotes are compatible.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had my sportdog training collar/ handheld for a while. I’ve never had a problem and still really don’t.  My thing is.  I have a fairly new dog and have been training it. This dog is very strong willed. I can cut my handheld up to max which is 7 and it will not affect the dog. I’ve never had this problem. Evidently this dog has an extreme tolerance. I’ve been thinking of upgrading any way because I the handheld doesn’t have some features I’d like. If I were to get a handheld that went above 7 would this be a stronger stimulus than what I have. 

Your unit probably has more levels in it, you just have to reprogram the collar to a higher range.  For example, my 825x has a "low" and "medium" range setting.  Some sportdog collars have a "high" setting as well.    

Clueless1

The battery may need changed if you've had it awhile.  Talked to Sportdog while in SD this year and was having the same problem.   Just wouldn't get much juice at all and my dog is generally very sensitive to it.  Changed the battery and all is good again.  The girl told me on the phone they expect about 3-4 years out of a battery.  

ccavacini
1 hour ago, Clueless1 said:

The battery may need changed if you've had it awhile.  Talked to Sportdog while in SD this year and was having the same problem.   Just wouldn't get much juice at all and my dog is generally very sensitive to it.  Changed the battery and all is good again.  The girl told me on the phone they expect about 3-4 years out of a battery.  

Yep this

5 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

Which battery?  Collar or transmitter?  Or both?

Clueless1

Mine was the collar but I changed both just in case.  Figured they were the same age.