Onx Hunting -Ultimate hot spotting tech

Kansas Big Dog

Before the bullets, arrows, axes and what have you starts coming at me. I know a lot of hunters really like this mapping system. I am an old school ludite. I don't any GPS of any type. I know how it works and understand the tech, just never felt inclined to need it. I use maps and Google earth to navigate.

But, I have been listening to some bird hunting podcasts that are sponsored by Onx. And the Podcaster really promotes Onx to the point he was asking for pinpoints on where he could find some quail in KS. He has also said he has given pinpoints to others on where to find birds. And he says that they find them quickly.

So, what if folks start pinpointing coveys of quail, or huns or woodcock flights and that is available for hotspotting on line? Pinpoints are GPS coordinates, which I believe are very accurate. 

Ready, Aim, Fire away!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kansas Big Dog

• Brad Eden

• Speaks

• Jim Vander

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anybody who'd share spots with OnX would do it without it.   Observing how people use OnX, it spreads out pressure more than it concentrates it.  Hunters now have a much more efficient way t

I think folks that would provide pinpoints of their honey holes to the public would be idiots, I don’t see the upside and folks usually keep that info to themselves or maybe a few friends. 

I’m selling Oklahoma quail coveys at $30a pop, North Dakota pheasant spots at $30 each and Montana Hun coveys for $35. Not really, but if you don’t think it’s in the very near future you’re very naive

chilly460

I think folks that would provide pinpoints of their honey holes to the public would be idiots, I don’t see the upside and folks usually keep that info to themselves or maybe a few friends. 

Mike da Carpenter

Hot spotting aside, I find OnX a very helpful hunting tool.  Basically an interactive Plat Map.  Bonus to those who are Active Military or Veterans, you get your state for $15 per year.  Best money I ever spent.  I believe the whole country is $50 for the before mentioned group.  I used to get the whole country, but don’t have a need for it for the next few years.  If you qualify for the discount, call them directly to set up your account.

Pudgy gopher

I have listened to the “podcast” that pushes onx. Their deal is trying to garner more interest in upland bird hunting. In that vein it is being used as an educational tool. As we all know access to the uplands is one barrier to recruit and retain hunters. 

if you subscribe to the notion to protect hunting and public lands requires folks to be involved, then using onx and sharing locations helps mitigate that barrier. Just as long as they are not sharing “pins” in my areas 😬.

You're absolutely right about this KBD. My son and I use it to trade spots, but putting it out there for the public is a real problem and I can't imagine doing that.

I use onx, never shared a pin, i could see with a trusted friend but not much beyond that, never publicly online. 

Cooter Brown

Anybody who'd share spots with OnX would do it without it.

Observing how people use OnX, it spreads out pressure more than it concentrates it.  Hunters now have a much more efficient way to determine what is accessible property (huntable public land that might not be well marked, timber company property, private land in trusts/tax deals with the state, etc.).  That information was available before but was a lot more of a PIA to get to.  With that information at their fingertips people are less likely to pound easily identified and accessed public land.

Everybody I've known who has it has found this to be the case.

My advice would be to stop listening to idiots with podcasts who think of success only as a full tailgate.

Treerooster
38 minutes ago, chilly460 said:

It's not that far fetched. Not everyone travels and hunts the same spot every year. There are guys that travel somewhere to do something different, explore new birds and areas. They have no intention of coming back to a specific area. They will help others by pinpointing good spots so they can be the "hero". If the place gets overrun with hunters it is little concern of theirs, they ain't going back.

Steelheadfred

I use it as much for commercial real estate as I do for hunting.  It's an amazing tool for commercial real estate. 

But anytime you start letting someone else's actions impact your enjoyment,  well that's a you problem.

I may or may not have shared a pin that's actually the location of a rest area...

but I use the app all the time, just not for sharing pins.

It's like everything, it has the potential for use and abuse.

Kansas Big Dog
1 hour ago, chilly460 said:

Really?

I remember the year I hunted Vermont. I had several friends tell me about a secret spot. Same spot of all three friends. No my friend once you put something on the internet, that Geni can not be put back in the lamp.

I use a similar app basemap. I’ve shared pins with close hunting buddies. But the main reason I have it is to share my intended parking location with my wife who knows that if I’m not back in cell coverage by a certain time to start assembling the search party. I usually send her 3 pins with first, second, third options.   Lots of stuff can go wrong in the high desert with little to no other people around to get help from. 
I think it’s much more accurate then writing a road, spring, or other landmark down on a piece of paper. 
Knock on wood, there’s only been once where I was 4hrs past the agreed upon time that she had made the call to a few buddies and they were on the way to the house when I finally got into cell service. So I haven’t needed to test her or my buddies rescuing capability. 

It can be a useful tool but I think it’s a disrespect of game if you share locations publicly. You’re almost guaranteeing the place will get over ran with hunters 

Travis

Kansas Big Dog
3 minutes ago, tga713 said:

I use a similar app basemap. I’ve shared pins with close hunting buddies. But the main reason I have it is to share my intended parking location with my wife who knows that if I’m not back in cell coverage by a certain time to start assembling the search party. I usually send her 3 pins with first, second, third options.   Lots of stuff can go wrong in the high desert with little to no other people around to get help from. 
I think it’s much more accurate then writing a road, spring, or other landmark down on a piece of paper. 
Knock on wood, there’s only been once where I was 4hrs past the agreed upon time that she had made the call to a few buddies and they were on the way to the house when I finally got into cell service. So I haven’t needed to test her or my buddies rescuing capability. 

It can be a useful tool but I think it’s a disrespect of game if you share locations publicly. You’re almost guaranteeing the place will get over ran with hunters 

Travis

Yeah, I think I am already seeing that here in KS. As I have already said, the Genie is already out of the bottle.

Kansas Big Dog
55 minutes ago, Steelheadfred said:

I use it as much for commercial real estate as I do for hunting.  It's an amazing tool for commercial real estate. 

But anytime you start letting someone else's actions impact your enjoyment,  well that's a you problem.

I disagree, I'll just leave it at there.

• Brad Eden changed the title to Onx Hunting -Ultimate hot spotting tech