Onx Hunting -Ultimate hot spotting tech

Have only seen the app once, in the Sandhills after finding out a road we went down wouldn't let us back up.  Ran across an OnX-equipped couple of guys and saw that their app showed old tracks through the region, apparently old roads made by the people tending the cattle in the area.  As we followed them out parts of the road were evident and other parts had been buried or grown over.  Where the way ahead was no longer passable due to changes or flooding the app showed via elevation lines where we could most likely travel without falling off a cliff, although I don't know how current their maps were they were useful enough to get us out to a road.  Pretty damn useful in that situation, I also got the impression those guys were having a fun time practicing navigation.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kansas Big Dog

• Brad Eden

• Speaks

• Jim Vander

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anybody who'd share spots with OnX would do it without it.   Observing how people use OnX, it spreads out pressure more than it concentrates it.  Hunters now have a much more efficient way t

I think folks that would provide pinpoints of their honey holes to the public would be idiots, I don’t see the upside and folks usually keep that info to themselves or maybe a few friends. 

I’m selling Oklahoma quail coveys at $30a pop, North Dakota pheasant spots at $30 each and Montana Hun coveys for $35. Not really, but if you don’t think it’s in the very near future you’re very naive

1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

Observing how people use OnX, it spreads out pressure more than it concentrates it.  Hunters now have a much more efficient way to determine what is accessible property (huntable public land that might not be well marked, timber company property, private land in trusts/tax deals with the state, etc.).  That information was available before but was a lot more of a PIA to get to.  With that information at their fingertips people are less likely to pound easily accessed and identified public land.

I agree entirely.  I've always carried plat maps, but some of them were literally drawn by hand and photocopied.  OnX lets me see exactly where the property lines run.  This is especially helpful in Wisconsin where the counties have sold off little chunks within much larger parcels, often for cabins or houses.  Owners commonly don't mark the boundaries of their chunk, giving the impression that it's a contiguous lot of 440 private acres, when in reality it's 1 private acre surrounded by 339 acres of public land.

Like @Steelheadfred I use it for all sorts of other purposes as well.  I never realized how many of the houses in my neighborhood were in trusts until pulling up my own house on OnX.

Jim Vander

I find it a a very handy tool. Just like  a good chart when fishing. Unless I know you very well you should be very suspect of any location I share with you. 😈

Do any of you have known errors within OnX?  An individual at the Bessey ranger station told me they'd encountered errors in designations between state and federal ground and deer hunters have found themselves unknowingly on the wrong property.  

20 minutes ago, kgb said:

Do any of you have known errors within OnX?  An individual at the Bessey ranger station told me they'd encountered errors in designations between state and federal ground and deer hunters have found themselves unknowingly on the wrong property.  

Its not perfect, its pulling data from thousands and thousands of counties land records and compiling it constantly. All these different entities keep records differently and have varrying quality of information. I have never personally experienced an error that I know of, though MN and WI are both good about maintaining and sharing data at a state level from what I hear which helps. 

Kansas Big Dog
38 minutes ago, kgb said:

Could be interest someone gets arrested for trespassing and Onx is their defense. 

co_setter
17 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

Could be interest someone gets arrested for trespassing and Onx is their defense. 

It also works the other way.  I have a couple blue grouse spots that are on Federal but the neighboring rancher has fenced for his own use.  I don't rely on just OnX for anything that could have legal consequences.  Always check county records whenever there is a discrepancy and big surprise, (sarcasm alert)  any mistakes in fence location are in the ranchers favor.

Love the app, but I have found accuracy issues on my own properties so I'm careful using it. I know where the survey pins are and OnX is off by 50 feet on one of my corners in WI and by 50 yds in WY.

Brad Eden
9 minutes ago, KCrowley said:

Love the app, but I have found accuracy issues on my own properties so I'm careful using it. I know where the survey pins are and OnX is off by 50 feet on one of my corners in WI and by 50 yds in WY.

This^ I loaded the app and signed up for the free trial. After fooling with it I concluded that ONX has not accurately researched and caught up with the convoluted and confusing and ancient property lines and acreage in Maine which is 94% privately owned. ONX is most known for mapping public land for hunting. The lines were way off on my own land as well as property lines of over 100 acres Ive hunted on and known for 30 years. I suppose setting pins at good deer spots, rubs, etc. or bird honey holes might work. I’m staying old school for now. Cuz I’m a on old Luddite despite owning and running this Board. 

As far as using ONX for hotspotting...anybody at ONX or anyone in a Podcast or anyone on any online media that posts actual Pin coordinates to bird hunting spots is a complete and utter moron. Take it from me, hotspotting is frowned upon in an alarming way.

2 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

It would depend on the state.  In Minnesota, intent is an element of criminal trespass, so an error in OnX would be a defense.

But criminal trespass during hunting that doesn't cause damage to property is prosecuted here somewhere between rarely and never, so it's a bit of a moot point.  Both landowners and hunters tend to vastly overestimate the legal repercussions for trespassing.

Jim Vander

I find it very helpful to avoid trespassing which I despise, heck I even always ask on unposted ground in ND. This is an area where it shines. With a lot of ground now being in hands of super land owners out of state I dont have to waste my time knocking on doors and having people look at me like Im an idiot.  Ethical hunters dont trespass, does it happen unintentionally, of course but by yards not hundreds of them. 

I got turned around in Aspen thicket in UP this year and came out on dirt track I did not recognize and caught holy hell from a guy driving. I was walking the road to get out as quickly as possible. I apologized and walked on. After he left I looked at ONX  and I was on NF land. When I got to truck I rechecked on NF map and yep I was on NF. Where I came out on road was about 200 yards from a private cutout so I dont think I was ever trespassing in any case. The powers of ownership I guess. 

Kansas Big Dog
53 minutes ago, caleb said:

It would depend on the state.  In Minnesota, intent is an element of criminal trespass, so an error in OnX would be a defense.

But criminal trespass during hunting that doesn't cause damage to property is prosecuted here somewhere between rarely and never, so it's a bit of a moot point.  Both landowners and hunters tend to vastly overestimate the legal repercussions for trespassing.

Oh, I know. Around here,, most Sheriffs won't even respond unless you agree to prosecute. And then, you might have to testify in a local court. To much of a PIA to enforce. 

But out west might be a different story.

airmedic1

I use OnX to tell me who owns the ground, it’s really handy for that.  I wouldn’t use it for exact property lines because it shows my a**hole neighbor’s buildings on my property and I know the exact property lines because I had it surveyed.  I also know a guy that shot an elk on property that he couldn’t hunt but OnX was about 50-60 yards off.  He had to pay the fine and lost the elk.

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

As far as using ONX for hotspotting...anybody at ONX or anyone in a Podcast or anyone on any online media that posts actual Pin coordinates to bird hunting spots is a complete and utter moron. Take it from me, hotspotting is frowned upon in an alarming way.

Agree and disagree with this.  I'm with you on disgust at sharing coordinates but also realize the body of hunters in the country is diverse and likely expanded this past season to include a bunch of new hunters looking to cross off a new bucket list item or maybe just dip toes in the sport.  With a background of only "modern" sensitivity regarding what is and is not considered shareable information and fascinated by available technology I can see them enthusiastically sharing spots if only to brag about where they got themselves off to and had success.  If there are dozens, hundreds or thousands of new hunters in such a category they will be sharing online to an extent in the forums we visit.  It's up to us to mentor them in why they shouldn't do this, expecting along the way to be considered dinosaurs/luddites/selfish louts or even anti-technology bigots.  Maybe worse.

chilly460

Decided to chase ghosts (also known as ruffed grouse) here in VA tomorrow as we have a holiday, and I'm working on scouting via OnX as we speak, as it's 3hrs to the area from my house.  Most of the spots are not anywhere near a road, so I'd be pretty much blind going in without it.  I will share locations with the wife in case they have to come rescue me, has to be one of the best $100 a guy can spend, IMO.  

• Brad Eden changed the title to Onx Hunting -Ultimate hot spotting tech