• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kansas Big Dog

• Brad Eden

• Speaks

• Jim Vander

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anybody who'd share spots with OnX would do it without it.   Observing how people use OnX, it spreads out pressure more than it concentrates it.  Hunters now have a much more efficient way t

I think folks that would provide pinpoints of their honey holes to the public would be idiots, I don’t see the upside and folks usually keep that info to themselves or maybe a few friends. 

I’m selling Oklahoma quail coveys at $30a pop, North Dakota pheasant spots at $30 each and Montana Hun coveys for $35. Not really, but if you don’t think it’s in the very near future you’re very naive

To me, the guy who would accept a pin location of a covey bird is as bad as the guy who'd give it. Half of the feeling of accomplishment is in finding the birds. 

Windrider

I do most of my work in Google Earth and then just mark the places I want to hunt in OnX.

My big use case is that I get turned around really easy.  It helps me to not have to spend the night in the woods.

I have a brother in law that you can blindfold and spin until he’s dizzy.  Sit him down in a chair at a random angle and he can point within a few degrees of true north shortly after the dizziness subsides.  I would be at the exact opposite end of the direction finding spectrum.

Jim Vander

Thank goodness there has not been an upland tv show like Duck Dynasty or we would be screwed. Every Chucklehead who can write a check for a boat and surface drive motor and a bunch of high powered lights has pretty well beat down the duck hunting in my area. A bigger threat than ONX for sure. I actually take pride in helping guys new to the game, but thats not about putting them on the X its about helping them learn to find the X. 

Cooter Brown
12 minutes ago, Jim Vander said:

Thank goodness there has not been an upland tv show like Duck Dynasty or we would be screwed. Every Chucklehead who can write a check for a boat and surface drive motor and a bunch of high powered lights has pretty well beat down the duck hunting in my area. A bigger threat than ONX for sure. I actually take pride in helping guys new to the game, but thats not about putting them on the X its about helping them learn to find the X. 

Amen!!!

I don’t think Onyx could be used as a defense for trespassing anywhere.

No different than some random person telling you that you could hunt a certain property. Onyx being the random person. None of these systems are ground truthed to actual property lines. They are generally indexed to roads, tree lines, etc. The genesis of most of the data is from county assessment offices or other sources, some good some not so good.

If someone tells you that you are trespassing and your phone says not and you are standing 100’ from a stone wall, fence or tree row you are probably trespassing. 
As always garbage in garbage out, except in the geospatial environment, if it is shown on a screen then it is gospel.

Spent the last part of my career dealing with this BS.

1 hour ago, Jim Vander said:

That’s spot on. I don’t mind helping people with habitat and what to look far. I will on occasion give some general areas to hunt to someone on here that asked for a little advice.  I’m very tight lipped on home grounds   I just don’t understand why people want to ruin hunting ground that they hunt themselves buy spreading on the net. Pure stupidity. New hunters or not. I don’t appreciate people advertising where to go.  Helping people out. I had to spend tons of time and even more boot leather to find spots. Nobody made it easy for me. If you’re new to the game earn your stripes like the rest of us had to do.  Instant gratification is all these newbies are wanting. They don’t understand nor appreciate the hard work it goes into putting a successful hunt together 

i hope and pray there’s never a duck dynasty like show for the uplands.  Some of the upland hunting shows already give to much info at times imo 

co_setter
4 minutes ago, grouse28 said:

I don’t think Onyx could be used as a defense for trespassing anywhere.

No different than some random person telling you that you could hunt a certain property. Onyx being the random person. None of these systems are ground truthed to actual property lines. They are generally indexed to roads, tree lines, etc. The genesis of most of the data is from county assessment offices or other sources, some good some not so good.

If someone tells you that you are trespassing and your phone says not and you are standing 100’ from a stone wall, fence or tree row you are probably trespassing. 
As always garbage in garbage out, except in the geospatial environment, if it is shown on a screen then it is gospel.

Spent the last part of my career dealing with this BS.

As you indicated, OnX is a data aggregator, not the original source of the data.  It is always good to check against ground truth.  Dropping a point that can be identified against one or more layers in the application, then checking to see how far it is off, gives an idea of the errors that may be present.

Regarding the defense against trespassing, certainly if you are standing on the wrong side of a fence with posted signs and haven't done your homework, it's not helping, but if there are no landmarks, it could be used to show a good faith effort to comply with the law.  I suspect the accuracy issues are greater in the east with metes and bounds, vs the midwest and west with rectangular survey systems

5 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

This^ I loaded the app and signed up for the free trial. After fooling with it I concluded that ONX has not accurately researched and caught up with the convoluted and confusing and ancient property lines and acreage in Maine which is 94% privately owned. ONX is most known for mapping public land for hunting. The lines were way off on my own land as well as property lines of over 100 acres Ive hunted on and known for 30 years. I suppose setting pins at good deer spots, rubs, etc. or bird honey holes might work. I’m staying old school for now. Cuz I’m a on old Luddite despite owning and running this Board. 

As far as using ONX for hotspotting...anybody at ONX or anyone in a Podcast or anyone on any online media that posts actual Pin coordinates to bird hunting spots is a complete and utter moron. Take it from me, hotspotting is frowned upon in an alarming way.

I heard from the owner of anther GIS mapping app popular among great lake state grouse hunters that Maine is a nightmare to map. 

One other cool thing on ONX, they have an overlay in WI of info from the DNR with grouse and woodcock habitat, grouse is 5-15 year old aspen cuts and I dont recall the exact WC definition. I will spend time at home before a trip to the cabin dropping pins on likely areas, then drive around to the pins and drop a different color pin on where I want to walk in if it looks good. When hunting season came this year I had over 100 new spots marked to try and hunt color coded by what I thought of it when scouting in Sept. 

This was real handy this year when half my go to spots had trucks there every weekend when they never had in years past. I had so many spots marked that I had lots of new ground to try I might not have otherwise found. Helped me find lots of cuts I would have never seen from the road. 

Once I hunt a spot I color code again by quality of cover and flushes, no specific formula here but basically 4 tiers of how much I want to hunt it again. 

This could be done without tech but made my season much more enjoyable, had nothing to do with property lines for the most part as over 95% of the land in the area I was scouting is public and at least half the private is obvious. 

Not a one of these pins was shared, though I did chat with one out of state group that had never grouse hunted before and was hunting totally wrong cover and pointed them toward 2 spots to try and explained what to look for in cover, I dont do that on any kind of regular basis. Hope they didnt share pins on the spots...

Kansas Big Dog
27 minutes ago, Speaks said:

One other cool thing on ONX, they have an overlay in WI of info from the DNR with grouse and woodcock habitat, grouse is 5-15 year old aspen cuts and I dont recall the exact WC definition. I will spend time at home before a trip to the cabin dropping pins on likely areas, then drive around to the pins and drop a different color pin on where I want to walk in if it looks good. When hunting season came this year I had over 100 new spots marked to try and hunt color coded by what I thought of it when scouting in Sept. 

This was real handy this year when half my go to spots had trucks there every weekend when they never had in years past. I had so many spots marked that I had lots of new ground to try I might not have otherwise found. Helped me find lots of cuts I would have never seen from the road. 

Once I hunt a spot I color code again by quality of cover and flushes, no specific formula here but basically 4 tiers of how much I want to hunt it again. 

This could be done without tech but made my season much more enjoyable, had nothing to do with property lines for the most part as over 95% of the land in the area I was scouting is public and at least half the private is obvious. 

Not a one of these pins was shared, though I did chat with one out of state group that had never grouse hunted before and was hunting totally wrong cover and pointed them toward 2 spots to try and explained what to look for in cover, I dont do that on any kind of regular basis. Hope they didnt share pins on the spots...

They shared. I'll be hitting those next year.

8 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

They shared. I'll be hitting those next year.

If you want to try the area I would be happy to host you up there and take you to some much better spots. I sent them to some places where they would be more likely to see birds than the old growth forest trails they were walking but hardly prized covers. I miss hunting behind good britts and never hunted behind and EB. 

Treerooster

Hot spotting is not specific to Onx, there are plenty of ways to hot spot with the internet/technology. 

As far as trespassing, it seems to me there is always a disclaimer that points out the user is still liable to make sure of actual boundary lines. Even the Wis DNR has a disclaimer on the managed forest lands maps they have on their website.

For me, and I am an old guy and do use a GPS and GAIA maps (similar to Onx).  But knowledge of birds and their habitat trumps technology most everytime.

Rogue Hunter

Don't even have to read all the post! What Lowance was/is to fishing, On X is to hunting. Nuff said.

I don't think grouse do well being raised in captivity, so there wouldn't be any stocking programs.

Brad Eden

There is a large gulf between using technology to enhance your personal hunting success and and sharing those specifics on social media and the interwebs. On the one hand it’s none of my business and all the power to you, on the other hand keep it to yourself or within the confines of your tight group of friends.

This isn’t anything new. Many of us have experienced showing someone or hunting with someone in our hard found bird covers, and even after explaining the unwritten rule; don’t tell anyone, and don’t come back here without me, and especially don’t come back here with anyone else...or I’ll have to kill you....we find they broke that rule and had loose lips. 

I don’t expect someone who doesn’t live or hunt the grouse and woodcock covers of the northeast to understand that, especially in the more southerly tiers with small covers and modest coverts. It’s not always a question of burning out the birds in a cover but the tarnishing of the relative solitude and enjoyment of hunting without rubbing elbows with a mess of other hunters and their dogs. Selfish maybe, but I’ll own that.

• Brad Eden changed the title to Onx Hunting -Ultimate hot spotting tech