Onx Hunting -Ultimate hot spotting tech

ScottGrush
21 hours ago, Treerooster said:

It's not that far fetched. Not everyone travels and hunts the same spot every year. There are guys that travel somewhere to do something different, explore new birds and areas. They have no intention of coming back to a specific area. They will help others by pinpointing good spots so they can be the "hero". If the place gets overrun with hunters it is little concern of theirs, they ain't going back.

That right there is the truth. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kansas Big Dog

• Brad Eden

• Speaks

• Jim Vander

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anybody who'd share spots with OnX would do it without it.   Observing how people use OnX, it spreads out pressure more than it concentrates it.  Hunters now have a much more efficient way t

I think folks that would provide pinpoints of their honey holes to the public would be idiots, I don’t see the upside and folks usually keep that info to themselves or maybe a few friends. 

I’m selling Oklahoma quail coveys at $30a pop, North Dakota pheasant spots at $30 each and Montana Hun coveys for $35. Not really, but if you don’t think it’s in the very near future you’re very naive

fourtrax57
33 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

There is a large gulf between using technology to enhance your personal hunting success and and sharing those specifics on social media and the interwebs. On the one hand it’s none of my business and all the power to you, on the other hand keep it to yourself or within the confines of your tight group of friends.

This isn’t anything new. Many of us have experienced showing someone or hunting with someone in our hard found bird covers, and even after explaining the unwritten rule; don’t tell anyone, and don’t come back here without me, and especially don’t come back here with anyone else...or I’ll have to kill you....we find they broke that rule and had loose lips. 

I don’t expect someone who doesn’t live or hunt the grouse and woodcock covers of the northeast to understand that, especially in the more southerly tiers with small covers and modest coverts. It’s not always a question of burning out the birds in a cover but the tarnishing of the relative solitude and enjoyment of hunting without rubbing elbows with a mess of other hunters and their dogs. Selfish maybe, but I’ll own that.

Hell, If I don't get lost a couple times per Season and have to "Navigate"  my way out of the bush I figure I am

not covering enough new territory. It is surprising how the bush is"larger" when it's boots on the ground vs

say Google Earth. Solitude is great. Wandering around,  occasionally navigating my way out of the bush hoping not to be Wolf food is certainly interesting. The compass or the Alpha do come in handy.

Brad Eden
21 hours ago, Treerooster said:

It's not that far fetched. Not everyone travels and hunts the same spot every year. There are guys that travel somewhere to do something different, explore new birds and areas. They have no intention of coming back to a specific area. They will help others by pinpointing good spots so they can be the "hero". If the place gets overrun with hunters it is little concern of theirs, they ain't going back.

Missed this. Glad I found it. The bane of the local bird hunter.

• Brad Eden changed the title to Onx Hunting -Ultimate hot spotting tech
Kansas Big Dog

Here is a possible senerio. Quite a few folks that hunt Alaska have and use Onx. Many put pin points on where they found birds. Not intending on sharing the info, just to save it for future use. Some one hacks Onx and steals all the info on all those pin points all Onx user have entered in Alaska. How much would that info be worth on the open market?

Brad Eden
6 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

Here is a possible senerio. Quite a few folks that hunt MT have and use Onx. Many put pin points on where they found birds. Not intending on sharing the info, just to save it for future use. Some one hacks Onx and steals all the info on all those pin points all Onx user have entered in MT. How much would that info be worth on the open market?

Why not pick another state and save me a lot of moderating headaches?

32 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

indiana would be relatively safe🤔

Cooter Brown
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

There is a large gulf between using technology to enhance your personal hunting success and and sharing those specifics on social media and the interwebs. On the one hand it’s none of my business and all the power to you, on the other hand keep it to yourself or within the confines of your tight group of friends.

This isn’t anything new. Many of us have experienced showing someone or hunting with someone in our hard found bird covers, and even after explaining the unwritten rule; don’t tell anyone, and don’t come back here without me, and especially don’t come back here with anyone else...or I’ll have to kill you....we find they broke that rule and had loose lips. 

I don’t expect someone who doesn’t live or hunt the grouse and woodcock covers of the northeast to understand that, especially in the more southerly tiers with small covers and modest coverts. It’s not always a question of burning out the birds in a cover but the tarnishing of the relative solitude and enjoyment of hunting without rubbing elbows with a mess of other hunters and their dogs. Selfish maybe, but I’ll own that.

I think we agree that it's not the technology, it's the behavior.  There have always been people who have taken advantage of being shown spots.  If you hunt with others it'll happen, probably sooner rather than later. It's infuriating, and it was happening before GPS and electronic mapping were being used.  Happened to me when I was using paper maps and an old Boy Scout compass, and it's happened in the last couple of years.

Most people here are old enough to remember when this sort of thing was an issue even with print magazines, with many in the readership upset about fishing or hunting spots being featured in articles.  The Miramichi used to be a quiet little place to fish...

GPS and mapping technologies are like any other technologies--they're beneficial but can be abused.  Just like the UJ has become a wealth of knowledge about dog training and care, equipment, hunting techniques, etc., careless and thoughtless people have "hotspotted" here, whether accidentally or on purpose.

Technology works both ways--if some idiot on a podcast is broadcasting spots via GPS or any other way, flood him with emails etc.  Those people respond to the market base, and if their market base is upset, they'll modify their behavior.

A thought--how many people on UJ would go to a GPS pin featured on a podcast?

Brad Eden

In case anyone has been living under a rock on UJ....

Kansas Bound

Is this any different than buying GPS coordinates for fishing spots?

We’ve been going to the same lake in Canada in the spring for 25-30 yrs. We have a pretty good idea where to go to have an opportunity for fish, which can vary depending on water temp, when the spawn occurred, water levels .

A new camp operator came in, nice guy, a fisherman. But one of his changes was to put depth/fish finders with gps snd weigh points in the boats and make them available to others at camp. 

I know people who have success fishing is good for his business, but I’d lie if I said I was happy to see new people from camp on spots we’ve found over the years where we’ve not seen others before.

Tough situations 

Kansas Big Dog
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

changed it to Alaska.

Richard Hale

I cannot imagine that upland hunting will ever become trendy like duck or dove hunting. Hard to film and most folks are far too lazy to put the miles on for our meager returns. 

In Kansas trespass must be with intent. A belief of permission is a get out of jail free card. Pitiful but true. Basically, no one is prosecuted. But as a landowner you will be prosecuted if you hurt their little feelings. Zero tolerance for standing up for your rights to thieves, poachers, trespassers, coon hunters or meth cookers. 

Brad Eden

I’m glad I live and hunt in Maine. Wait, I’ve already said that like a gazzillion times. But I mean it more and more after reading these type Topics.

WMassGriff
3 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

A thought--how many people on UJ would go to a GPS pin featured on a podcast?

Nope!

Kansas Big Dog
2 hours ago, WMassGriff said:

Nope!

I don't think there would be UJers that would use someone's Onx info. But, I believe those that come and participate here are a cut or 2 above average. There are folks out there that would learn how to market that info.