Onx Hunting -Ultimate hot spotting tech

Chief Paduke

I’m selling Oklahoma quail coveys at $30a pop, North Dakota pheasant spots at $30 each and Montana Hun coveys for $35. Not really, but if you don’t think it’s in the very near future you’re very naive. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kansas Big Dog

• Brad Eden

• Speaks

• Jim Vander

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anybody who'd share spots with OnX would do it without it.   Observing how people use OnX, it spreads out pressure more than it concentrates it.  Hunters now have a much more efficient way t

I think folks that would provide pinpoints of their honey holes to the public would be idiots, I don’t see the upside and folks usually keep that info to themselves or maybe a few friends. 

I’m selling Oklahoma quail coveys at $30a pop, North Dakota pheasant spots at $30 each and Montana Hun coveys for $35. Not really, but if you don’t think it’s in the very near future you’re very naive

Stuff like this is why Nevada outlawed trail cams on public land from Aug 1 to Dec 31. Guys were selling locations of big bull elk coming to water holes. 

I use onX and I like it. Have had a few a holes try to run me off public ground. They change their tune pretty quick when confronted with onX data.

I dont know which one you are talking about but could venture a guess. To clarify was he asking to share pins with the audience or talking about how he and friends will exchange pins and when talking about trying quail hunting said to the guest hey will you drop me a pin or two? 

Very different that broadcasting publicly.

Its entirely possible you are talking about a different show than the one I am thinking of but the one I am thinking of often mentions sharing pins but has never shared with his audience and is careful never to be very specific or let his guests be very specific with hunting locations. 

From a general standpoint I support just about anything that will lead to more upland hunters.  OnX does just that in many ways making it simpler to know where you can and cannot hunt.  Therefore I'm a big fan of Onx.

That being said even if I did give people specific pins for coveys I've found on the Beaver River WMA the odds that their dogs would be able to find/point them is low and the odds that they would be able to effectively shoot many of the birds is low.  A smaller WIHA in KS might be different but where I hunt even specific coordinates is only getting you started not guaranteeing a result.

If we don't get more people owning bird dogs and chasing wild birds this sport that we love will go away, forever!

I can agree with the sport growing but quality land will have to grow as well. If you have access to plenty of private then no problem but if you rely on totally public and the quality gets less and less then those you got interested there interest will wane.   On x is great and an asset   I just don’t like the idea of giving spots to everyone that asks.  It might not hurt you but the guy that depends on those areas to do his every day hunting it will hurt. Giving even large public property names out is wrong in my opinion. If I see a big property that’s highlighted. I will have zero problem finding birds on it because I will have done my homework and know bird habitat from junk.  Most seasoned bird hunters can do that to. 

11 hours ago, Kansas Bound said:

Is this any different than buying GPS coordinates for fishing spots?

I now occurs to me that it’s only a matter of time until people figure out a way to monetize their spots.

Someone will create an electronic marketplace where people bid on pins within a given region based on seller ratings. To prevent resale, once a pin is sold in an area, nothing can be pinned within a mile or two for a few years.

It doesn’t seem far fetched at all when so many people are traveling and may not be invested in returning to particular areas.

Bird_Man_mike

I like it. In MT, at least, interactive, digital maps showing all public sections along with block management and tons of overlays are available already via the online hunt planner.

What ONX adds is landowner information which has gotten me phone numbers for access a few times.

It also adds the ability to download a map that shows property lines, roads, etc. that is displayable without internet access. This is super handy as GPS is always available without cell and data service. 

Agree it can’t entirely replace a map, but it sure is handy. Especially where property lines are not marked by a fence. It saved me from shooting an antelope illegally at one of these places as the herd is crawled in on ended up just yards off the BMA. 

The information is all there, ONX or no. I’d of course hate to see it become a hotspotting-for-fee tool, of course. 

On 1/17/2021 at 8:10 AM, Kansas Big Dog said:

I use maps and Google earth to navigate.

When it comes sharing locations Onx and Google earth are not very different. Drop a pin, then send an email or text. The ability to share location data has always been there, either you are inclined to do it or you are not. The biggest change I have seen Onx bring is the ability for people to identify public and private land. Its much easier to navigate western landscapes where public isn't marked and is often "hidden". For better or worse it has clearly been a factor in the increased use of many of these spaces. 

Kansas Big Dog
12 hours ago, 123 said:

When it comes sharing locations Onx and Google earth are not very different. Drop a pin, then send an email or text. The ability to share location data has always been there, either you are inclined to do it or you are not. The biggest change I have seen Onx bring is the ability for people to identify public and private land. Its much easier to navigate western landscapes where public isn't marked and is often "hidden". For better or worse it has clearly been a factor in the increased use of many of these spaces. 

I don't drop pins, unless I'm stitching something up.

ScottGrush

In between jobs last winter I was helping the road crew in my little village plow snow. When Spring rolled around and the melt off was beginning I suggested we get the man holes and drain covers cleared so all that water would have a place to go. My Co-worker pulled out his phone and zoomed in OnX to find the locations of the drain covers and culverts under all our snowbanks. It was VERY useful for that. 

Re: Hunting spots, the trick nowadays is finding a honey hole that is NOT shown on any of these phone apps. If you've got a grouse cover that is not on OnX or Scout N/ Hunt or MIHunt(Michigan) its a real treasure and you'd better keep your mouth shut about it. 

OnX gets their property information from public access state and Federal GIS records. That's why there's little or no private property information in the UP, because private property boundaries are not in a digital format they can access or use with their API. Government lands such as state and national forest, CFR lands, yes in the UP - private lands no.

NONE if it is accurate survey-quality detail, so if you rely on GIS info and OnX Hunt as a defense for trespassing you're also probably not very bright. 

While you can share waypoints and tracks directly with other individuals from the OnX app, I don't see a way to make them available to the public, so I think this is a non-issue. What the OP suggested is no different than posting or sharing GPS coordinates, an image of a map, or directions to a place, which is at the discretion of the person and how much they like/trust their friends. 

I sure as hell aren't going to tell you where I found birds, and if I do I'm almost certainly lying. I barely admit what state I'm hunting in, the most detail I've ever provided is the county, and when it comes to grouse I'm probably lying about that too. I don't give away my coverts - even if they suck.

Steelheadfred
On 1/18/2021 at 3:33 PM, Kansas Big Dog said:

I don't think there would be UJers that would use someone's Onx info. But, I believe those that come and participate here are a cut or 2 above average. There are folks out there that would learn how to market that info.

I can give you two examples of UJ members I helped out,  that back doored, lied, and were caught hunting covers I took them too.

Can I get some Chukar spots, for these last couple weeks!  🤓 No really...😁

Alaskan Swamp Collie
On 1/18/2021 at 4:42 AM, Kansas Big Dog said:

Here is a possible senerio. Quite a few folks that hunt Alaska have and use Onx. Many put pin points on where they found birds. Not intending on sharing the info, just to save it for future use. Some one hacks Onx and steals all the info on all those pin points all Onx user have entered in Alaska. How much would that info be worth on the open market?

Me and the other 2 upland hunters up here would like those points. I'm going to get my neighbor's 12 year old to hack my Onx