An exciting step in quail habitat management

15 hours ago, mccuha said:

How many acres do you have that you released these birds on and how did you go about releasing these birds exp.  covies ?  I’m guessing these were grown birds. 

We have about 50 acres we release them in. Yes they are grown. We release them in groups of 10-15 in early December in areas we keep seed for the birds. Flocks may join together and some wander out of the area. 

One of our neighbors is Wateree Heritage Preserve WMA. Part of the land in the club on their border has land that shares a wild covey or two with us. We do not hunt them.

Wateree HP WMA is working to groom the land for small game and deer.  Some tree thinning and frequent burns are happening.

This land was once a plantation, then a hunt club, then owned by a dump just to get rid of legal restrictions and then bought by a gold mine for donation to DNR for the land the gold mine would destroy....Great looking place to drive around and just look. I think it is about 3800 acres. We are right at 4000. Neighboring clubs clubs and managed farms probably put this area of land right close to 10,000 acres. Great for game. 

The WMA has a few duck ponds in there that the hogs have torn up. Efforts are underway to get rid of those. We have our share of pork too especially when the Wateree River is up like it is now.

3 minutes ago, R Patten said:

We have about 50 acres we release them in. Yes they are grown. We release them in groups of 10-15 in early December in areas we keep seed for the birds. Flocks may join together and some wander out of the area. 

One of our neighbors is Wateree Heritage Preserve WMA. Part of the land in the club on their border has land that shares a wild covey or two with us. We do not hunt them.

Wateree HP WMA is working to groom the land for small game and deer.  Some tree thinning and frequent burns are happening.

This land was once a plantation, then a hunt club, then owned by a dump just to get rid of legal restrictions and then bought by a gold mine for donation to DNR for the land the gold mine would destroy....Great looking place to drive around and just look. I think it is about 3800 acres. We are right at 4000. Neighboring clubs clubs and managed farms probably put this area of land right close to 10,000 acres. Great for game. 

The WMA has a few duck ponds in there that the hogs have torn up. Efforts are underway to get rid of those. We have our share of pork too especially when the Wateree River is up like it is now.

Like I’ve said before. My hunting partner releases a bunch of young quail in sept in covies of around 30. He’s got around 300 acres managed for quail.  He also supplements with milo all year. Predators get some but he has a good many covies right now.   I’ve been thinking of doing a release like you do on our place and see how it works. I know I’ll be feeding a lot of predators. 

seems as we all in sc have hog problems these days and it doesn’t look to improve any time soon.