Pulled pork

I always wondered where the term “meat hooks” came from. 

8906751D-F133-4B0F-B591-8D47A8FDB25D.jpeg

FC886EA3-077A-4378-B7AB-FF150FE0727B.jpeg

Brad Eden

I haven’t even had my obligatory morning banana and my mouth is watering looking at that photo!

Any advice on your pork cooking methodology?

SelbyLowndes

Those shredders are a boon to food cleanliness.  I grew up watching pork butts being shredded into barbeque by hand, claw, fingernail etc...SelbyLowndes

chilly460

I have a pair of plastic "claws", the tines are too short and the ends melt in a butt right off the smoker, I'll have to look for these advanced units.  

4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I haven’t even had my obligatory morning banana and my mouth is watering looking at that photo!

Cut the roast in pieces. Use you favorite rub. Brown all sides in Dutch oven. Mine has brown sugar in it which results In the burnt tips. Add a can of beer. Bake covered for 3 hours at 300 degrees remove lid bake another 2 hours or until meats pulls apart easily. 

15 minutes ago, oldbird said:

Cut the roast in pieces. Use you favorite rub. Brown all sides in Dutch oven. Mine has brown sugar in it which results In the burnt tips. Add a can of beer. Bake covered for 3 hours at 300 degrees remove lid bake another 2 hours or until meats pulls apart easily. 

I do it similarly but I put the chunks of meat on the broiling pan and give them a good sear after they are tender from the braise and then shred them instead of browning and then braising.  I put and onion, bay leaves, Mexican oregano, cumin lime juice and a juiced orange (the whole thing including the peel) in the braise.  I top the liquid level up with water.  The braise liquid gets reduced after the meat comes out and then mixed back into the shredded meat.

bntsetter

Instant pot 1.5 hours all told - Done.  But I'm a heathen.

Fur and Feathers
On 1/20/2021 at 8:25 AM, Brad Eden said:

I do pork butts on my pellet smoker/grill. I trim the fat cap completely off, the butts have plenty of fat for flavor with in them IMO. Slather with basic yellow mustard as a binder (you wont taste it in the end result) and coat them with a favorite sweet and spicy rub. I cook them in a cheap foil pan to catch the drippings. Set my smoker to high smoke which is 220 on my Camp Chef and cook until I hit desired internal temp. I have found the sweet spot to be about 203 for pulling, usually between 10 and 12 hours. I drain the juice out of the pan into a jar, cover the pan with foil and rest in a cooler with towels for at least an hour before pulling. I have let them rest for 4 or 5 waiting on a gathering and they are still to hot to handle. After pulling I  spoon off the fat that rises in the juice jar and reheat the drippings to pour back over the pulled pork and sprinkle some more rub on for more flavor. You can use your favorite bbq sauce or eat it as is on a nice bun. We like to make carnitas or nachos with the left overs. I have came to the conclusion with it being such a long cook that I will do at least 2 butts at a time and pull and freeze one for later use.

WPG Gizmo

If it is not coming out of the smoker it's just pork 🤣

Chukarman

Pulled pork requires a side bowl of Lexington Sauce. And vinegar coleslaw.