Anyone owned a dog with addison's disease?

If so, what was your experience with it? My old gal Lucy was just diagnosed with it. I started her on Predisone yesterday and I just ordered the first bottle of Zycortal injectable. She is almost 12, might be done hunting but I want to be sure she enjoys the remainder of her life to the fullest. 

First bird many years ago:

lucy.jpg.0636e0427289fb5c2d294e1377c746ff.jpg

Just a few weeks ago:

20201231_125759.jpg

Clueless1

Welcome to the UJ.  If you go up to the Search function upper right hand corner and type "Addison" you will find many on here have dealt with it.  Thankfully I have not but I expect you will find many suggestions on dealing with it. 

It tends to respond really well to Zycortal and pred.  She should live to a ripe age happily.  

4 hours ago, sbertram said:

If so, what was your experience with it? My old gal Lucy was just diagnosed with it. I started her on Predisone yesterday and I just ordered the first bottle of Zycortal injectable. She is almost 12, might be done hunting but I want to be sure she enjoys the remainder of her life to the fullest. 

First bird many years ago:

lucy.jpg.0636e0427289fb5c2d294e1377c746ff.jpg

Just a few weeks ago:

20201231_125759.jpg

Your pup is a sweetie, I have not dealt with Addison's, welcome from Evergreen, CO

marysburg

Nice to meet you.  She looks like a real sweetie, and great to see that she had a productive day in the field not long ago.  If Dogwood says she will be fine, then you can rest assured.

• 2 weeks later...
Ridge Runner
On 1/21/2021 at 3:17 PM, Dogwood said:

It tends to respond really well to Zycortal and pred.  She should live to a ripe age happily.  

Ridge Runner

I have a Pointer diagnosed with Addisons about 6 years ago when she was 6 years old.  We almost lost her due to misdiagnosis, but once she stabilized and went on the pred and zycortal, we have had no problems since.  She runs as hard and fast as ever, faster than most "healthy" dogs. 

The only other thing I might add is that the diagnosing vet told us to keep her in good condition year round or if unable to start back slow and steady to get her back in shape before season.  Also, to double the pred dose on the days I work her and any other higher stress situations.  Not meaning to offer Vet advice, do you may want to consult with your vet about their recommendations in that regard.  Once I didn't fully double it and she showed definite relapse signs that night.  Gave her pred and she straightened out. 

So, hope you have as good of luck as we have had.  Over time we have been able to reduce the original zycortal dose working with the vet  using routine blood work to monitor the potassium and sodium levels and ratios.   As far as health issues go, this one was worth spending the money without a question in my mind in her case.  She is one of those really good ones and almost losing her and then getting her back reminds me every day of just how special she is.