Small buck with my old smokepole

Thanks gents, it was a very good time in an area full of really big Whitetail bucks. I am spoiled where I hunt deer and I know it. 

Here is one from a few years ago with the same rifle. I took him on public land in Colorado after quite a few miles of boot leather. I had walked in a several mile loop and came to the spot I had told my friends to meet me. After calling for them a bit it became apparant that they were not waiting for me in the correct spot. I sat down and ate a snack and the decided to walk out a small productive piece between my location and the car. I had not gone 20 yards and this guy stood up from his bed looking at me.

IMG_1423.jpg

lee sykes
On 1/23/2021 at 10:47 AM, sbertram said:

Thanks gents, it was a very good time in an area full of really big Whitetail bucks. I am spoiled where I hunt deer and I know it. 

Here is one from a few years ago with the same rifle. I took him on public land in Colorado after quite a few miles of boot leather. I had walked in a several mile loop and came to the spot I had told my friends to meet me. After calling for them a bit it became apparant that they were not waiting for me in the correct spot. I sat down and ate a snack and the decided to walk out a small productive piece between my location and the car. I had not gone 20 yards and this guy stood up from his bed looking at me.

IMG_1423.jpg

lee sykes

Nice mulie but the "small" whitetail is a nice deer as well.  Not a yearling, for sure.

Cooter Brown

That's fantastic.  Can you tell us a bit more about the gun?  I'm only vaguely familiar with the term "belted ball".  I think the ball has a raised rib or belt that fits into grooves in the barrel.  An early form of rifling.  Something I've heard of but never seen an example of.

Is this how your gun is set up?  Do you cast your own ammo?  Did a mold come with the rifle?

Cool in the extreme.

You are correct, the rifle has two grooves 180 degrees apart which the belt from the ball fits into and which give the ball its spin. belted-bullet.jpg.8e32276b2acebd6522548710bf00fa38.jpg

I had Jeff Tanner in the UK make a mold for me before he passed on. I do cast my own balls and while they are not moving very fast they seem to be very effective. 

Wow learn something new everyday, that’s cool, does that groove spiral or just run straight down the Barrell?

it’s fascinating how the various rifle barrels designs were experimented with as they developed  over time

It twists giving the ball spin and stability.