Dog Vomiting on Regular Basis

Rick (VA)

Hi All,

We have a 10 year-old American Field Lab. She ate a lot of grass hoppers this summer and starting vomiting her food regularly. This has happened twice before, and after a few week of keeping her off the fields and feeding her rice it cleared up. This year we can't seem to find a solution. She's been to the vet for an ultrasound and blood work. We've switched foods, done the rice, and are giving her pepcid. Also using an anti-eating muzzle so can't eat horse manure, dog poop, etc. She'll go a few days without vomiting then she'll get sick 2-3 times in one day. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

19 hours ago, Rick (VA) said:

We've switched foods, done the rice, and are giving her pepcid. Also using an anti-eating muzzle so can't eat horse manure, dog poop, etc.

ok, that's my entire arsenal.  I wish I could offer more, Rick.    

Dave in Maine

That muzzle must be really popular with her.

I had a fabric muzzle I occasionally had to put on my dog and she absolutely hated it.  The minute it went on, all her attention and effort was devoted to getting it off.  She eventually figured out how and remembered, such that muzzling her was good for maybe a minute.  But all I had to do was show her the muzzle and she'd get the message to stop screwing around.

Brad Eden

Not much help here either. Good luck figuring it out. Dogs sure eat gross stuff.

When I hear my dogs stomach gurgling and grumbling I let them out and they typically go and eat a load of grass and then vomit it up mixed with saliva. Reasonably easy clean up if in house Then all is good. We have a load of deer that seem to hang close to the house in winter and Cash has taken it upon himself to eat the turds. Then he pukes it up in house. He also likes to eat snowshoe hare turds, same result. He comes over to me when he is about to puke and sometimes I can drag him to the door or at least to the kitchen tile or wood floor. But typically he pukes on the carpet. What a PIA to clean up. 

My lab, same thing. Stomach rumbles, dog runs outside and eats a bunch of grass that seems to wrap around whatever is bothering her and up it comes. Dog checks to see if there is anything worth "re-eating" and is good to go.

What does she vomit up?  When does she vomit relative to eating and drinking?  Has she had a recent fecal parasite test?  Post results of her blood tests if you can.

I would defer to dogwood he helped me with a dog doing a similar thing and his recommendation worked ( thanks again) 

I also had a pointer that went thru what the op is describing and my vet put him on ranitidine and it cleared it up so might want to run that by your vet and see it it’s a good idea ( I am not a vet just relating an experience I had)

Rick (VA)
On 1/23/2021 at 7:52 AM, Dogwood said:

What does she vomit up?  When does she vomit relative to eating and drinking?  Has she had a recent fecal parasite test?  Post results of her blood tests if you can.

She vomits her food not long after eating, usually within 30 minutes. They did the fecal parasite test. Will get a copy of the blood work and post. Thanks very much!

Rick (VA)
On 1/23/2021 at 11:50 AM, bobman said:

I would defer to dogwood he helped me with a dog doing a similar thing and his recommendation worked ( thanks again) 

I also had a pointer that went thru what the op is describing and my vet put him on ranitidine and it cleared it up so might want to run that by your vet and see it it’s a good idea ( I am not a vet just relating an experience I had)

Thanks. We have her on famotidine, which I believe is similar, with no success yet.