Anna's Hummingbird

I'm not sure who Anna is, or why she rates her own hummingbird, but they sure are pretty little buggers.

5D4_5146.jpg

Nice!  Is that on a feeder?  I have yet to capture a crisp,sharp hummingbird "in the wild"...always on a feeder...and not that crisp! ;) 

9 hours ago, dgfavor said:

Nice!  Is that on a feeder?  I have yet to capture a crisp,sharp hummingbird "in the wild"...always on a feeder...and not that crisp! ;) 

Yes, on a feeder near Nogales, AZ.

Mexican Violet Eared Hummingbird

Not near as good a photo, but a rare Mexican Violet Eared Hummer at our place in south Texas. I have taken hundreds of photos of hummingbirds and about 98% are junk.  

On 1/22/2021 at 7:04 AM, KCrowley said:

Yes, on a feeder near Nogales, AZ.

I thought you were going to say you staked out a certain flower/bush for 10 days just waiting...waiting...for your opportunity!  🤣

I think that's a heckuva capture Quailguy...did you stake out that bush for 10 days just waiting...waiting...for your opportunity? 🤣

Probably the best I've mustered with them just randomly flying around, not on a feeder:

20.jpg.8b1f3bbc0ea3cf014962f48fdab62cf1.jpg

Cold Iron

That is a money shot! Been trying for a long time to get one like that. I need to break down and get another off camera strobe. Or 2 if I am going to totally freeze the wings. Rick if you are getting a 2% keeper rate your dong a LOT better than me! 🙂

Yeah I sit on the deck during the summer with everything setup aimed at the feeder with manual focus\settings then try to connect with the remote. Seems like always something just a little off or in the way though.

14237588053_b7aefdf67e_b.jpg

Ruby's here which are very territory so a lot of fighting going on. One of these days I will capture a pair in battle, and get them in focus damn it!

14366727615_f30b358a50_b.jpg

Keith I'd love to get one like you did that is a gold standard if there ever was one. But no Anna's or any hummingbirds for that matter until that ~6 weeks of piss poor sledding season shows up here 😞

2 hours ago, dgfavor said:

I think that's a heckuva capture Quailguy...did you stake out that bush for 10 days just waiting...waiting...for your opportunity? 🤣

Better lucky than good I guess.

No, Doc, that bird just showed up at our feeders in south Texas one day.  He stayed with us for about 6 weeks. That photo was taken out a den window. 

The wife put it e-bird for a week or so until I made her take it down. We had birders calling from all over the country to come see him. One guy, and I am NOT making this up, claimed he had just arrived from Australia, was at LAX, and was desperate to come see and photo the bird. He did arrive at San Antonio from LAX so perhaps that was the truth. 

I can say that was the very last rare bird we will EVER put on e-bird!

On 1/21/2021 at 10:30 PM, dgfavor said:

ALso from the same feeder. A broad-billed hummer.

5D4_4428-2.jpg

3 hours ago, dgfavor said:

I thought you were going to say you staked out a certain flower/bush for 10 days just waiting...waiting...for your opportunity!  🤣

I've spent many days in many foul places trying to capture just the right image, but for hummers, nectar rules! 🙂

2 hours ago, KCrowley said:

ALso from the same feeder. A broad-billed hummer.

5D4_4428-2.jpg

Nice, very nice indeed. 

I've only seen a couple of adult male broad billed hummers, but never got even one photo. Have numerous ones of females and or immatures but no male in full warpaint.