Can male dogs "cycle"?

Pub Scout

My almost 2-year old male lab has been acting weird for about a week.  There is no lethargy or any other visible issues other than he seems super, uh, horny.  He is constantly humping his dad.  This was a somewhat regular activity which we attributed to a dominance thing, but now it is constant and he is "unsheathed" which is new as well.  He follows his dad around the yard and marks where ever his dad pees, sometimes not waiting for his dad to finish (older guys take longer to go, right).  And now he is taking to walking the yard and sniffing a few particular spots, that dad hasn't peed on, and he spends minutes sniffing and then licking.  The weirdest piece is he hesitates at eating his dog food sometimes just picking at it.  We used to have to hold him back when it was feeding time, but now he seems to care less that his food is down.  He still loves other foods and treats, it's just his dog food.  He is drinking, peeing and pooping like regular.  I am not even sure I am doing just describing his behavior.  If everything else wasn't normal I'd already have had him at the vet.  Thoughts?  

browndrake

Is there possibly a female in heat down the road not to far? 

1 hour ago, Pub Scout said:

My almost 2-year old male lab has been acting weird for about a week.  There is no lethargy or any other visible issues other than he seems super, uh, horny.  He is constantly humping his dad.  This was a somewhat regular activity which we attributed to a dominance thing, but now it is constant and he is "unsheathed" which is new as well.  He follows his dad around the yard and marks where ever his dad pees, sometimes not waiting for his dad to finish (older guys take longer to go, right).  And now he is taking to walking the yard and sniffing a few particular spots, that dad hasn't peed on, and he spends minutes sniffing and then licking.  The weirdest piece is he hesitates at eating his dog food sometimes just picking at it.  We used to have to hold him back when it was feeding time, but now he seems to care less that his food is down.  He still loves other foods and treats, it's just his dog food.  He is drinking, peeing and pooping like regular.  I am not even sure I am doing just describing his behavior.  If everything else wasn't normal I'd already have had him at the vet.  Thoughts?  

It happens, One young fella got his first bird dog, a Vizsla that was so pumped full of testosterone it killed his appetite to the point where he looked like a skeleton. He had to be kept on a chain to keep him from either escaping or killing himself in the attempt. His owner Brad was a farm boy and they owned quite a bit of land as well as operating a fur farm and This four legged Hungarian Lothario was at a "anything with a pulse will do stage" so the dog got snipped and after a little time while hormone levels dropped, everyone lived happily ever after.

Some day I might tell you about Roobie II and his sexual exploits while the new Parish Pastor was making a visit to our home. 

Any chance your older dog could have blood in his urine, or something else like that?  I’ve noticed that my unneutered males can go a little weird when something smells off with another dog.  Once I had an older spayed female with a benign cyst that would occasionally ooze and it would drive the boys nutty.  

Pub Scout
31 minutes ago, Seaview said:

Any chance your older dog could have blood in his urine, or something else like that?  I’ve noticed that my unneutered males can go a little weird when something smells off with another dog.  Once I had an older spayed female with a benign cyst that would occasionally ooze and it would drive the boys nutty.  

Nope, Dad is all good.  

2 hours ago, browndrake said:

Is there possibly a female in heat down the road not to far? 

The only unspayed females in the area would be in the pack of coyotes.   Would that do it?  It kinda makes sense.

shoot-straight

My lab was exposed to a setter that was In heat. The slut was getting out of her pen and kept showing up at our door at 2-3 am. Booty call. I had No idea and put them in the backyard for awhile while I called And awoke the owner. Could have had a litter of settadors for sure. Luckily not, but shadow sat at the door day and night for a week. Waiting for her to come back. 

Almost 2? Yeah, the young lad is hittin' puberty and testosterone levels are likrly up. I wouldn't worry too much about it other than your older male may get very agitated and lay down the law. So I'd try to curb it.