When is the UJ Anniversary?

browndrake

When is considered the first day of the Upland Journal?

The current forum states that Brad, and 8 others of you joined in March 2002.  There are another handful that joined in the following 3-4 months.

It lists Brad's first post in June of 2002.  In said post, he states that he was reposting from about a year earlier.   (That made me wonder if  the current forum the 3rd+ iteration of UJ?  )

(it says something that pretty much every member from those first few months is still active here. )

Post is mostly out of curiosity and wondering about a 20th anniversary celebration.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Connally

• Brad Eden

• Don Steese

• jeff88

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good question.   The original Upland Journal “Online Magazine” website was launched sometime around March 13, 2002. I added the “Upland Talk” Bulletin Board around the same time. Naturally I

You have no idea.

While I am sure that Brad was actually the first member to register, the original member list had Gangreen as #1 and Brad as #2.  Some people still refer to Brad as #2...

Brad Eden

Good question.

The original Upland Journal “Online Magazine” website was launched sometime around March 13, 2002. I added the “Upland Talk” Bulletin Board around the same time. Naturally I was the first Member to register on the Bulletin Board, on the 13th and may have opened it for Members a little while later after I became familiar with the Board admin functions. Some may remember UJ was initially a full website with the goal basically being the first Online Upland Magazine. But the software wasn’t available then to repopulate pages expediently etc., unlike today with software for blogs and online magazines etc., etc.....so the main focus became the Board/Discussion Forums, and that remains today. Before the major Upgrade in 2016, the old software forced me to save server space by pruning a load of Topics/Content. So the Topic archives don’t all go all the way back to 2002 unfortunately. 

This March if 2021 will be the 19th Anniversary of UJ and the Board. And March of 2022 will mark the 20th Anniversary. We will enjoy a major celebration Im sure. I am already thinking of a 20th Anniversary t-shirt idea. We can start planning next summer maybe.

Mike Connally

While I am sure that Brad was actually the first member to register, the original member list had Gangreen as #1 and Brad as #2. 
Some people still refer to Brad as #2...

Don Steese

Holy Moly! It says I joined March 26, 2002. I knew I was in early but didn't realize it was that early!  

Brad Eden
19 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

Holy Moly! It says I joined March 26, 2002. I knew I was in early but didn't realize it was that early!  

You are an old die hard (fart) like me Don. I sure appreciate your loyalty and support after all these years.

I remember I signed up twice. I couldn’t remember my password and signed up again! I know Brad pared double memberships with one of the software upgrades.

FlyChamps

Dang, I wasn't near the beginning but my sign up date of June 26, 2006 is a lot earlier than I remembered.  Since our first hunt December 29, 2007 I've been woodcock hunting each year in NC with several guys I met here on UJ. 

Good people, information and entertainment to be had here on UJ so all should be contributing members to help keep our "family" together.

Mike Connally

Where do I find the list of members and sign up dates? 

browndrake

You can check anybody's membership date on their profile. 

If you want a list of members and dates:

https://uplandjournal.ipbhost.com/search/

select member search then any parameters you want.  If you just want everybody and join date, just hit enter and it will pull everybody up.  after loaded sort by joined.

Greg Hartman
2 hours ago, Don Steese said:

Looks like I joined on the same day.  Amazing!  This place (and the friends I’ve made through it) means a lot to me.

Tim Frazier

March 20, 2002.  Seems like just yesterday!  Brad has been nearly as tolerant as my wife!

Mike Connally

April 22, 2002. 
Seems longer. 

Brad Eden
23 minutes ago, Mike Connally said:

April 22, 2002. 
Seems longer. 

You have no idea.

I think Steese, Hartman, Linda Gallagher, Voutsikakis, et al, of the first wave of registrants were all sick and tired of the BS at the old SSBB. I think Brad did a very informal and impromptu survey of his "friends" at that site before he started the UJ. I wasn't an early registrant because I was kind of busy with work and travel but I did join a few months later.

ScenicRoute

I was an early member on upland talk (circa 2003)  I didn’t realize until tonight that was one in the same.   I was on hiatus for like 14 years. Ugh.