Treerooster

These 2 Bald chicks are just a few days old and actually have quite a span of time between them for age. More than normal.

182965485_PowderwashEaglessmallResized.thumb.jpg.d7022ee188412eb87bb11304bd065ca7.jpg

Here the same chicks are 4 weeks later. We were a little bit surprised the little one made it.

1362802774_PowderwashEaglesbiggerResized.thumb.jpg.68b5cdd638289f5c0385d642ce08b2fe.jpg

Notice the look on that chick. He is saying "Why don't you lean in just a bit closer...SO I CAN TEAR YOUR LIPS OFF!"

1303306389_Durangonest1995croppedResized.thumb.jpg.c871f13a941c03552d1a2a1006a2f5f8.jpg

I found it amazing the different personalities (or traits if you'd rather) in the different Bald Eagle chicks, some were quite aggressive while others were docile. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hettmoe

• Lurch

• JAM

• munsterlander

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because hummingbirds are too fast and too small!  🤣   I've been watching this breeding pair (I believe...maybe they are just a co-habitating modern couple, no judgement) for awhile and final

Posted Images

Treerooster
On 1/25/2021 at 8:01 AM, Dick Sellers said:

IMG_0106.thumb.jpg.946710b06acb6b55b782ac2e886c2137.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

That chick looks like a Golden. Beak seems small.

just had a bald eagle in the tree down the street from my house. By the time I extracted my phone to snap a pic, he'd flown away (I know, it didn't happen if there are no pics)

They're not a common sight in our neighborhood, but not rare either. There's been a nesting pair along the river 1/8 mile from my house for the last 6-8 years or so. The Middle School/Jr High lunchroom has windows that look out over the river and the kids often see the eagles flying along the river or resting in a dead tree while eating lunch.

Dick Sellers
16 hours ago, Treerooster said:

That chick looks like a Golden. Beak seems small.

You could be right about that nestling.  I looked trough my 35mm slide files and couldn't find the original and this image posted had been on my computer for many years.  Good eye on your part. 

munsterlander

Saw at least 50-70 bald eagles yesterday in one spot, while out duck hunting.  The farmer next door was doing something, maybe butchering something... but I watched eagles head to the swarm for over an hour.  I wondered just how far away they can be and see the commotion and come to spot.  Seems like it must have been every eagle within 10 miles. Sorry no photos... were too far for cell phone.

All these photos show amazingly regal birds, and i've always thought of them as such.

Then I went to Alaska and on the Homer Spit, saw probably 200 of them within a couple hundred yards, all scrounging rotting stuff and looking like a cross between a hungover bar-brawl survivor and the lowest ranking hen-pecked bird in a chicken coup.  Haven't held them in quite such high regard since that time...

munsterlander
24 minutes ago, Lurch said:

All these photos show amazingly regal birds, and i've always thought of them as such.

Then I went to Alaska and on the Homer Spit, saw probably 200 of them within a couple hundred yards, all scrounging rotting stuff and looking like a cross between a hungover bar-brawl survivor and the lowest ranking hen-pecked bird in a chicken coup.  Haven't held them in quite such high regard since that time...

Yes, they often appear as flying rats.  Other times impressive.

We distributed this golden eagle of a road kill driving by.

7DC2B9A6-83DF-4C81-887A-18DC886CF795.jpeg

On 1/24/2021 at 5:49 PM, gunsrus said:

Beautiful

What Al said.  Adding amazing.

Treerooster
5 hours ago, JAM said:

219133733_M35Perkins2Eagles-2.thumb.jpg.da7b86360b1f8f882cf06f56aa20ed00.jpg

Looks like that could be a male & female pair. Nesting pair maybe?

Could be! a nesting pair. There are quite a few eagles in the area. These two just happened to pose for me on the same branch.