Do any of you guys make bone broth for your dogs?  I was reading the benefits for the dogs and joint health is one of the benefits.  If you do make bone broth for your dogs, do you think it’s helps at all? Also is there any type of bone you prefer to make it out of? 

• Tres changed the title to Bone broth
marysburg

I made bone broth for one of my dogs who was recently ill.  She loved it and it got her eating again, but I have no idea if it helped her nutritionally.  I guess it can't hurt.  Hot tip:  make it in the Instant pot, it only takes an hour.

Dave Quindt

Bone broth is nothing more than a hipster renaming of an ancient cooking ingredient......stock.

There's nothing magical about it, other than making it at home produces an exponentially better product than can be bought at the store.

20 hours ago, Dave Quindt said:

Bone broth is nothing more than a hipster renaming of an ancient cooking ingredient......stock.

There's nothing magical about it, other than making it at home produces an exponentially better product than can be bought at the store.

True about the hipster part but there is something magical about it, nutritionally speaking, which our ancestors knew because it was "the cure" for what ails ya. 😉

It generally has more protein and collegen than meat based stocks, but stock from bones was very common for pretty much ever, stock you buy in the store is not typically bone based but meat based. 

I have not made it much but when our Golden was really going down hill beef bone broth was one of the only things he would eat. Not sure what if anything it did for joints but kept him from starving to death those last few months. 

VizslavsBird

I make it with game carcasses and freeze.  Use it to cook brown rice when dog GI track is off normal.  Dogs love flavor and seems to be easy on their gut.

• 2 weeks later...
Chukarman

I regularly cook for my dogs. I keep bones and scraps from my own meals, make a stock, and cook with vegetables and rice. This goes on top of their kibble and assures that they eat it all. I seldom have much, if any, wasted dog kibble.