Bob Marshall Wilderness 

Grizzly cub an outfitter had after the mother was killed

35707306-5586-472A-9EEA-EE8C4A77A148.jpeg

Trout...its what's for dinner

17797B62-3495-4531-9EA6-C842B3593023.jpeg

Tim Frazier

Apparently that hat didn't fit well...

Greg Hartman

Who is the "cowboy" pulling back his jacket to expose his six-shooter?

Tim Frazier
43 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

Who is the "cowboy" pulling back his jacket to expose his six-shooter?

That was Ed’s little brother, I don’t remember his name.  Good family, lost touch with them when I went in the Army and even with social media have never been able to find out if Ed is still around.  

Snipeaholic
18 hours ago, Tim Frazier said:

Apparently that hat didn't fit well...

Must be all that hair....A problem not known to me

Tim Frazier
3 hours ago, Snipeaholic said:

Must be all that hair....A problem not known to me

2 months latter the Army took care of that problem!

Are those long leather gloves you have on while handling the grizzly cub? The reason I ask is,  while living in AK, there was an article I read about a guy that was at the inception of the grizzly/polar bear darting/research program in AK. Overall, a humorous article on some of the mishaps that occurred in the early years of darting bears, particularly the darting of polar bears and the liquid freezing in the dart on it's way to the bear! Anyway, back to the gloves..... the article stated that handling a polar bear cub was no big deal, but when handling grizzly cubs they had to wear hand and arm protection to avoid getting badly scratched up.

Tim Frazier

@idcut  yep, it was almost like the little guy couldn’t help himself with what were already some impressive paws. 

Tim Frazier

Biggest scare that summer was I was in thick brush along a lake and all the sudden I heard some huffing and 2 black bear cubs went scrambling up a tree 30 yards away.  I knew I wasn’t between them and their mom but none the less I went all the way to the lake and even though the going was tougher over the rocks, I could see better. 

• 5 weeks later...

21 hours ago, Tres said:

Nice pics. I was 1 in ‘83

I graduated high school.  Actually activities looks pretty similar to what I do now...well I guess now I hunt more but shoot less...and go slower...and weigh more...with less hair...and have (need!) more electronics...and GoreTex...and windstopper...and turbo charged diesel...with aluminum locking dog boxes...  🤣

1545630012_FirstBuck.jpg.74c385d5eadc2426b0490aa4b3f10696.jpg

837673619_Tailgateshot.thumb.jpg.85cc90cf326c64f78d553b24c626679d.jpg

1268277818_OldSchool.thumb.jpg.c556043b888bbf923de58181f9c2f0b5.jpg

I graduated in 83 from HS. One thing that I remember about then vs now is, then you put on a pair dungarees, flannel shirt, what ever boots you had, picked up your only rifle, shot gun or fishing rod you had and off you went with maybe a can of pork and beans, Vienna sausages, pack of saltine crackers, army canteen of water, a hunting knife typo map and headed out the door for adventure. Now, you'd feel naked with just those items and have to think for week about what to wear, what to take, what to leave, decide there is still too much but yet not enough, ....Yes much simpler times back then when making do with what you had was a much fun as collecting all the new fangled and dangled stuff as we got older and smarter:). Funny thing is I've just about got back to the 83' way of doing things; hell the golf bag has even reverted back to a 5,7,9, wedge, hybrid, driver, putter as I found the other paraphernalia being toted around didnt improve the score or enjoyment of the game, it was just physical and mental clutter.  

Cool posting title, made me think back to 83, and what I was doing. It sucked I was in Beirut and missed the hunting season. I like the pics they def look period correct. Downside to social media is everyone can know how dorky we looked lol! Really love the Ford pic, that be Art!

1 hour ago, Jim Vander said:

Cool posting title, made me think back to 83, and what I was doing. It sucked I was in Beirut and missed the hunting season. I like the pics they def look period correct. Downside to social media is everyone can know how dorky we looked lol! Really love the Ford pic, that be Art!

I went into the Army after that trip to Montana.  I roomed with a guy in Korea who had to help bag bodies at the embassy.  He said they were told to try to makes sure each body bag had at least 2 arms and 2 legs.  He said he threw up every day.  Looking back, I hope he got help.  

image.jpeg

Added photo. Sometimes around ‘83. With my International Scout II and a dog my mother had. Relax, that’s not a Man Purse, it’s a camera bag.

1983. I was 24 years old, after a couple years at a commercial art school in Boston after High School, then a year off to partially hike the Appalachian Trail and “find myself”, had graduated from UMass with a BFA degree in 82 where I met JoAnn. I think we were living in Somerville MA in ‘83 (After going cross country in her VW Rabbit. Camping out along the way. Made it to TX when the car started having electric issues so turned around and headed back East) I had started my first job in the art department of a printing company in Porter Square Boston, and Jo was working at Boston University Hospital. A year later we were married with our first baby on the way and living back in my home town that was once a rural small town in SE MA. The grouse hunting bug really started infecting me at that point. A few years later we headed north to Maine in a UHaul with a young kid, Golden Retriever puppy and a flock of chickens. The rest is history.