Zion National Park

Hey guys I’m seriously thinking of doing a Spring break trip, last week of March into April with my boy. I’ve never been there and would appreciate any insight on what to focus oaks the trip will be predominately sightseeing and hiking during the week. Thanks 

I'm not a lot of help, haven't been but my parents have been there many times. Bryce Canyon is also nearby and they liked it better, but they didn't do much hiking.

One day trip I can recommend is Antelope Canyon just across the border near Page, AZ. It's on Indian land so you have to have a guide/tour, but it's one of the most photographed places in the US, supposedly. My wife liked it better than Sedona/Grand Canyon

ac.PNG

13 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I'm not a lot of help, haven't been but my parents have been there many times. Bryce Canyon is also nearby and they liked it better, but they didn't do much hiking.

One day trip I can recommend is Antelope Canyon just across the border near Page, AZ. It's on Indian land so you have to have a guide/tour, but it's one of the most photographed places in the US, supposedly. My wife liked it better than Sedona/Grand Canyon

If you are thinking about traveling to an Indian Reservation these days, it would be wise to check ahead. Lots of rezzes are shut to outsiders due to Covid.

WyomingArt

Short version: bring gear and clothes for any weather , tee shirts to heavy snow. Elevations from 4000 to 7500 , high country to 9500.

Things to see: Bryce, Zion, Arches, Grand Canyon National Parks and Monuments,  Mesa Verde, Petrified Forest, Meteor Crater, many state parks and BLM points of interest that don't get many visitors and publicity.  Hikes and sightseeing are the big draws, parks focus on geology, desert animal and plant adaptation, Anasazi or other Indian culture. I like to visit out of the way petroglyphs sites  and float canyons. 

I've camped in those national parks and floated rivers during spring break, had egg freeze in the shells, or had sunburn.  Right now the Navajo nation is closed to outsiders because of virus concerns with checkpoints and road closures.   Hopi villages as well.  Check for updates. 

Zion can be nice in the spring. Bryce may still have a lot of snow at that time, so it may not be an option. There is also some nice hiking around St George area. Pretty country, petroglyphs, etc. Some really nice state parks in that area too.

Take plenty of gear and clothes for anything. 

browndrake

Lots of good advice. 

Depending on how far you want to drive, the options change.  North Rim will still be closed, but there are better local options for seeing the grand canyon. Zion is more fun for little kids.  Bryce is great, but is a quick visit unless you want to do some hiking there. Many other local attractions.  

Calf creek is a worthwhile hike.

Bryce Canyon was my favorite even including the Grand Canyon.  Zion is not really too far from the other two, we did three in a week and still had three to four good hikes as well as a horseback ride in Bryce.

If your at Zion, definately check out Bryce since your close by. If your not bothered by heights, try Angels Landing hike at Zion. It is amazing veiws from there. Drive through the east entrance and you should see some really nice desert bighorn rams in the bands of sheep.

• 2 weeks later...
munsterlander

Another vote for Bryce for just simply breathtaking views.  I was there in April and we were the first car in when they opened one of the gates (had been closed for winter due to snow.)  But Bryce with snow was amazing.  Zion at that time had too much water flow in the river for hikers to hike up the canyon, one of the popular hikes, nor were you allowed up the... what's it called.... Angel's Landing, I think.  

image.thumb.png.df55ed8f7a8d48448b9d101ee39ec33c.pngimage.thumb.png.2f402fdde355ff4c7df5346316ab0a2e.png

Thanks for the replies. I'm still pondering this trip while keeping an eye on weather etc.. If I can pull it off I'm thinking Zion and Bryce and throwing stuff in between. Basically a get out of town for the week with the kid and just taking it in. 

Brad Eden

09063F7C-7F2D-4333-BFEC-F253515A1CAB.jpeg

A few years back we planned on seeing Zion and Bryce. This is Jo with our rental car in Zion. Problem was it was so crowded they wouldn’t allow cars to go to top nor interior and see the whole park. They were trucking people into the interior of park by bus. We saw what we could and ran out of time and never made it to Bryce. What we saw was pretty awesome as is most all of the South West.

E851A7C7-B032-4C74-B0C2-0A584160F722.jpeg

Me somewhere in New Mexico.

You didn't mention side trips but a word of warning about visiting the north rim of the Grand Canyon. The north rim is closed during the winter and doesn't open until mid-May. If you have any thoughts of visiting the north rim call first. Both Bryce and Zion are beautiful. However, Zion can get HUGE crowds. I'm going to try for a late winter or early spring visit to Zion myself in the hopefully not to distant future. Bryce Canyon is beautiful but in a different way from Zion. If you like hoodoo's visit Bryce, boy howdy, it's got hoodoo's!

BTW, the last time I visited Zion was in mid June while on a road trip back from Alaska. The park was so jammed all I did was drive threw, all the while making plans in my head to return when it wasn't so damned crowded.

Steve

browndrake
14 minutes ago, Rockdoc said:

You didn't mention side trips but a word of warning about visiting the north rim of the Grand Canyon. The north rim is closed during the winter and doesn't open until mid-May. If you have any thoughts of visiting the north rim call first. Both Bryce and Zion are beautiful. However, Zion can get HUGE crowds. I'm going to try for a late winter or early spring visit to Zion myself in the hopefully not to distant future. Bryce Canyon is beautiful but in a different way from Zion. If you like hoodoo's visit Bryce, boy howdy, it's got hoodoo's!

BTW, the last time I visited Zion was in mid June while on a road trip back from Alaska. The park was so jammed all I did was drive threw, all the while making plans in my head to return when it wasn't so damned crowded.

Steve

Zion is more crowded in late spring and summer, when traditional tourist season gets rolling.  But it's actually more enjoyable for many earlier, before summer heat gets here. 

North Rim of grand canyon is closed until May, but my favorite grand canyon spots are not behind the locked gates.  There are a few other points, on the Kaibab, which I prefer.. but they are likely (we are praying) to be under snow for some time.  Probably my favorite place to visit grand canyon is toroweap.. you just have a long drive on dirt road to get there.