• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Dave in Maine

• quailguy

• mccuha

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In 26 years of law enforcement outside of metro Detroit, I can't recall a case where someone was carrying concealed who did themselves any favors. I can recall arresting/charging quite a few off duty

I don’t believe it’s any more dangerous now than it was, say 20-30 years ago to be out and about in the woods and waters. (Could be wrong, didn’t search it out) The difference is we are now inundated

so, brad, maybe the bad guys take a look at you and then took up a collection to help you out!

Brad Eden

Wow. Just wow.  The duck hunters showed a lot of restraint apparently.

9 hours ago, Longrifle said:

Four hunters robbed, one shot coming back to their vehicle here in NC.  Article

These guys don't seem like the brightest bulbs in the chandelier ....  picking out 4 guys with shotguns to rob.   

It's a sign of the times.  It's a shame but now a days when coming back to my truck whether alone or with someone I'm always on the look out.  Im like that as well if I hear a vehicle coming down a road where I'm parked.  I always have a sidearm on as well when hunting or fishing in states where it's legal.  Unfortunately you cant let your guard down any more no matter where you are.  

They may have had their shotguns cased up and inaccessible as they packed their gear back to where their vehicle was staged, leaving themselves somewhat defenseless! Otherwise, I  can't imagine it going down the way it did....or as was suggested, they showed some serious restraint!

mister grouse

At the end of the day, It is a tough question as to whether it is better to  lose a few hundred dollars and walk away,  as opposed to getting in a gunfight and spending years dealing with the issues inherent in shooting an assailant .  

Doesn't mean I would do it in all circumstances , but the first might be my option of choice if I could pull it off.

Brad Eden

I don’t believe it’s any more dangerous now than it was, say 20-30 years ago to be out and about in the woods and waters. (Could be wrong, didn’t search it out) The difference is we are now inundated with 24 hour news and scary links on social media and Bulletin Boards, so it seems like there is a scofflaw and criminal out to harm us behind every tree.  My behavior as far as personal safety hasn’t changed...in like forever. Must be a Maine thing, again. Or I am naive. JMO

For the last several years around my parts boat ramps have become dangerous places.  There have been people robbed in them and a lot of vehicles have been broken in.  A friend that hunts with me is a big fisherman.  He was pulling up to the ramp one day a couple years ago. He saw a guy near his truck. Before he could get out of the boat and got to the truck  the guy broke into it, got what he wanted and was gone.  I never leave anything in my truck of value when at  a boat landing.  In my truck while hunting about the only thing of value in it is  maybe some tracking collars and a couple boxes of shells.  The boxes of shell are worth a small fortune this day in time it seems.  The lack of respect, lack of desire to get a job and greed have really turned these days into desperate times.  It's like we're going back into old west days. 

What a shame our world is turning into

scum bags..anyone that robs someone with a weapon deserves a long time behind bars....my aunt works at a bank and it was robbed at gunpoint, she still has flashbacks

If at the end of the day I unload my shotgun to be legal so not to be assumed hunting past legal hours.  Will be thinking maybe leaving it loaded now..

Brad Eden

I’m glad I live in...oh never mind.

salmontogue
11 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I’m glad I live in...oh never mind.

I second that.  I have never had any problems while hunting or fishing anywhere in Maine.  Just for security, I carry a Python or a S&W M60 around wet situations.  Neither has been necessary but you never know.

Perk

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

My behavior as far as personal safety hasn’t changed...in like forever. Must be a Maine thing, again. Or I am naive. JMO

so, brad, maybe the bad guys take a look at you and then took up a collection to help you out!

I carry everywhere and am always aware of my surroundings and who is in them. My life and my stuff is much more precious to me than some thieves well-being...

mister grouse

I guess Ive watched too many Maine Warden TV shows ....is all the drama/crime in the Maine Warden series pure fiction.?