Duck Hunting becoming dangerous

I haven't hunted public land in about ~8-10 years but toward the last few years i started being extra careful when approaching my vehicle especially when I was hunting alone, sometimes hanging back and scoping the woods as much as I could before dropping down to the road. This started after I was startled by a guy in full camo who was standing quietly right off the trail I was walking up hunting grouse; it was just an odd situation and interaction given the time of year/season and everything was just wrong.  Prolly nothing to have worried about but vigilant hunt to say the least.  

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Dave in Maine

• quailguy

• mccuha

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In 26 years of law enforcement outside of metro Detroit, I can't recall a case where someone was carrying concealed who did themselves any favors. I can recall arresting/charging quite a few off duty

I don’t believe it’s any more dangerous now than it was, say 20-30 years ago to be out and about in the woods and waters. (Could be wrong, didn’t search it out) The difference is we are now inundated

so, brad, maybe the bad guys take a look at you and then took up a collection to help you out!

munsterlander
On 2/2/2021 at 10:07 AM, Dave in Maine said:

1.  There does seem to be some targeting of people enjoying outdoors activities, and their vehicles.  It's where the easily stealable stuff is.

In the Pacific Northwest anyway, it is common knowledge not to leave anything valuable in your vehicle (or anything that LOOKS valuable, like  briefcase, etc) in your car at a hiking trailhead.  SO many vehicle broken into.  I know a guy who's passion, when younger, was to hike into remote lakes and streams to flyfish.  He bought an old beater just for parking at trailheads, and left all the windows down.  

For all those who think they aren't safe and incidences like this are commonplace and the sky is falling, think again.   Here in the US we are living in the safest time and place in all of human history.  Not an opinion; a historical, statistical fact, especially if you look at the numbers and estimate how flawed and under reported historical figures must have been with the lack of computerized communication and cohesive governmental oversite.  In the United States about 0.005% of the population is murdered each year.  About 0.383% of us experienced a violent crime.   

Doesn't mean we can't be carful and keep ourselves as safe as possible or that it isn't normal to be a little wary when you're alone in the dark, but we should temper that with reality.  In case you've lost sight of it, reality is what we experience around us once in awhile when our TVs, laptops and smartphones are off.  

munsterlander
1 hour ago, MAArcher said:

For all those who think they aren't safe and incidences like this are commonplace and the sky is falling, think again.   Here in the US we are living in the safest time and place in all of human history.  Not an opinion; a historical, statistical fact, especially if you look at the numbers and estimate how flawed and under reported historical figures must have been with the lack of computerized communication and cohesive governmental oversite.  In the United States about 0.005% of the population is murdered each year.  About 0.383% of us experienced a violent crime.   

Doesn't mean we can't be carful and keep ourselves as safe as possible or that it isn't normal to be a little wary when you're alone in the dark, but we should temper that with reality.  In case you've lost sight of it, reality is what we experience around us once in awhile when our TVs, laptops and smartphones are off.  

Yes, I agree.  There is book called "Factfulness" which makes the case that much of the humankind is better off than ever before in history.  Less poverty, less hunger, less disease, etc.  We hear so much with 24/7 hyped-new coverage of the BAD.  I highly recommend the book.

Tim Frazier
On 2/2/2021 at 12:53 PM, troutchops said:

In 26 years of law enforcement outside of metro Detroit, I can't recall a case where someone was carrying concealed who did themselves any favors. I can recall arresting/charging quite a few off duty officers and citizens carrying firearms "defending themselves" in their mind. Just a word of caution, especially for people taking a weekend 8 hour CCW class, your actions could have far reaching life-long consequences, even if you're in the right. 

I have spent years telling folks this, to include family.  If you think killing another human is something that won't affect you forever your not thinking.  It's one thing to defend your home but when you're out and about having a gun often takes away the best option most of us have to avoid trouble for real...our brains.

I have transported and cared for more gunshot wounds than I can remember and my experience is there often is not a winner on either side of the gun.

Jim Vander
On 2/20/2021 at 6:51 PM, Tim Frazier said:

I have spent years telling folks this, to include family.  If you think killing another human is something that won't affect you forever your not thinking.  It's one thing to defend your home but when you're out and about having a gun often takes away the best option most of us have to avoid trouble for real...our brains.

I have transported and cared for more gunshot wounds than I can remember and my experience is there often is not a winner on either side of the gun.

This is certainly true, my brother killed a guy during an openly armed break in and it very much effected him. Took him along time to get past it. The perp was on bail and had served time for 2 other armed robberies and a malicious wounding. I hate for him that he had to do it, but Im pretty damn grateful every time I have a drink with him. Its pretty sad but the pro gun folks actually made his life harder trying to make him a poster boy, he pretty much went it to hiding for 6 months. 

Training and a sound mental state are key if your going to choose to carry. You owe it to yourself your family and bystanders to be smart and Heaven forbid capable. 

Have two coworkers who picked up a CCW in the past couple months. Neither new which end of a gun the bullets left before that. I cautioned both that their handguns would cause more harm than good and they would be better served with a pair of track shoes than a gun. But I guess track shoes aren't cool when you're over 40.  

21 minutes ago, Randy S said:

Have two coworkers who picked up a CCW in the past couple months. Neither new which end of a gun the bullets left before that. I cautioned both that their handguns would cause more harm than good and they would be better served with a pair of track shoes than a gun. But I guess track shoes aren't cool when you're over 40.  

And they are 20 some.
 I see a good number of females in “my”gun shop; buying pistols, arranging lessons, buying ammo. Let us not forget the ladies who have been disproportionately victimized by violent perps. They cannot physically defeat the perp, or outrun him, but they can shoot the SoB.  And I am all for it.  

I used to think I could defeat most attackers unless they had a knife and were good with it or had a gun. Now I’m too old too have such delusions, but I still will defend myself.  

FlyChamps

There is no question that a rational person who kills another will suffer serious emotional issues after the fact.  If you are considering carry for self protection you should read "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob In the Gravest Extreme .  For me I've decided that living to deal with future emotional issues is better than dying.

I have used a firearm in self-defense but the presentation of my firearm motivated the bad guy with a knife to depart at world record speed.  To me presentation without the need to fire is the most successful use of a firearm in self-defense.  And the one that is rarely, if ever, reported in the "statistics".