What is the proper way to upload photos to site?

As a contributing member it is very easy to upload photos, cut and paste content.

It works much like some of the construction software that I use daily.

I have read some of the hot spotting post and I am aware that information can be shared from the forum.

I do not have facebook or any of the other social media formats.

When a photo is posted on this website is all the metadata, GPS information still attached to the photos?

If so what is the proper way to remove this information?

Brad Eden

Here is a recent Post that should answer your question.

Brad Eden
35 minutes ago, 25/06 said:

When a photo is posted on this website is all the metadata, GPS information still attached to the photos?

If so what is the proper way to remove this information?

I assume photos posted to this Board from a third party photo host site etc., include the data unless removed prior in some way. My previous Post should cover that. 

Im actually not sure what data remains when using the Contributing Member Photo Upload feature if data wasn’t removed etc, prior. I’ll ask my Software Support and try and find out. Or maybe the resident IT guy Browndrake will chime in.

In the thread you linked, Brad, browndrake sez:

On 12/29/2020 at 5:45 PM, browndrake said:

If you use the resizer I built, in addition to making it a much smaller file to upload to server,  it will strip the metadata.

https://browndrake.net/UJ/resize/

Is this the same resizer that the contributing members use automatically? In other words, by using the Contributing Memember drag&drop, are they automatically stripped?

<edit: Guess that's what you were wondering at the same time>

browndrake

No.  Contributing members can upload directly to the forum and the forum backend does resize some.  I do not know if the forum software strips Metadata. 

I created this resizer to help people that didn't know how to resize images and to save on server space for anybody that wants to upload pics, whether uploading direct or to own server or other outside  server. 

Even though I am a contributing member, I always resize my photos (usually in photoshop). It cuts down on server space and bandwidth and saves UJ $$.

I wrote it to strip the Metadata, just because. 

browndrake

I just uploaded a file and checked for metadata.  The UJ forum software appears to strip the metadata, same as my resizer.   It makes the pics slights smaller than I have the resizer set to (525x700 vs 600x800) so it saves a few kb more than the resizer is currently set to. 

Brad Eden
45 minutes ago, browndrake said:

I just uploaded a file and checked for metadata.  The UJ forum software appears to strip the metadata, same as my resizer.   It makes the pics slights smaller than I have the resizer set to (525x700 vs 600x800) so it saves a few kb more than the resizer is currently set to. 

Thank you Aaron. Good to know, and I appreciate your knowledge and work on UJers behalf.

I set the max size of C-Member Photos being able to Upload to UJ Server at 7mb (defaults to 6.8ish for some reason) 7 mb is huge by screen/web viewing standards and is in the ‘ink on paper” printing territory. This is where your Resizer really comes into play. Some Members have cameras that take large format file photos, or or have them set so their photos are larger than the set 7b, and thus they will not Upload and Post using the C-Member Upload feature. But they can resize those photos with the Resizer and then Upload without issue. 

Once a photo under 7 is Uploaded I do have the software set to downsize photos to a screen friendly and data saving size. For true photographers and photo aficionados, this does impact the resolution. But it’s a necessary evil so I can keep the Board funded by voluntary Donations rather than some sort of subscription. Every “.” and every photo takes up data space that needs to be covered, so we don’t go over any quota and crash the Board.

1 hour ago, browndrake said:

No.  Contributing members can upload directly to the forum and the forum backend does resize some.  I do not know if the forum software strips Metadata. 

I created this resizer to help people that didn't know how to resize images and to save on server space for anybody that wants to upload pics, whether uploading direct or to own server or other outside  server. 

Even though I am a contributing member, I always resize my photos (usually in photoshop). It cuts down on server space and bandwidth and saves UJ $$.

I wrote it to strip the Metadata, just because. 

Browndrake & Brad,

Thank you for the information!

I was uploading right off my computer, camera or iPad. I was not sure what I was sharing.

I can use Blue Beam to modify photos, if needed but it is much easier to have the forum do it.

I never considered the privacy aspect of a photo, all digital cameras now have GPS.

My mom and dad are on facebook. Dad had mom post some photos of the fish he was catching so the family and friends could see. The next week his favorite fishing spot was covered up with people fishing. (for years he fished alone there). I tried to explain to him that he was sending much more information than the photo.... I do not think he believes me, He looked at me like I was 12 years old again explaining how the window got broke. :D

What I typically do is shoot all my photos in RAW then process them to a JPEG.  If I know I am only going to use that image digitally, I immediately reduce it's resolution to 72ppi which is adequate for good, sharp images on computer monitors, smartphones, tablets, etc. and makes for much smaller file sizes which is great for upload times and saving "room" in storage.  If I want to post a photo(s) to a forum like this, I first download it/them to a host site.  I currently use Flickr and have used Photobucket in the past.  Flickr, to my eye, seems to be less degrading to images...maybe not.  I then post to the board from there using the BB code option/link/dealy bob.  On occasion if it's just a cell phone snapshot, I will post the shot directly to the forum from my phone but I try to keep the location function turned off and don't think I am posting links to my honeyholes.  I have been posting some screenshots from my workouts off my gps watch lately that include maps of my tracks.  I actually load those screenshots via bluetooth to my computer then edit in my Photoshop to clone out any roads, distinguishing features, etc. then change the attached County name to some other county in the U.S (I usually search for "most populous county", "most famous U.S. coutny", "best grouse county in UP", "best woodcock in Maine county" then layer that in on my map, usually mispelled on purpose, to create further "hmmmmm???" factor...and really just to entertain myself.  🤪   Almost every landscape photo I post has something removed or cloned over in it to remove roads, characteristics, landmarks, etc.  Video can be more troubling but I do know how to blur out background stuff if I feel necessary...just doesn't give a very clean look.

All geotagging is turned off on all my devices, including my work cameras.  (Although occasionally I need to establish that I am shooting wild, not captive animals, so I turn on geotagging. See lynx photo below.) Further,  almost every photograph I post to a public site has location info automatically stripped by the software I use for PP. 

If you think hotspotting is strictly a hunting problem,  I can assure you that photographers are far worse. And a MUCH bigger group. 

FB_IMG_1612571819131.jpg