2021 Gardening

1971snipe

It's still a little early, even for here, but I have friends that already have ground tilled and ready to plant potatoes on Valentines Day.  At the moment I still have a few mustard greens in my small garden but that's it.  Been pruning grape vines and blackberry bushes.  

48NIXky.jpg

I'm still undecided about the spring garden, if I'll continue to just do tomatoes and peppers in containers; peas and okra in the garden spot.   

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1971snipe

• Brad Eden

• Felix

• Treerooster

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ground is froze solid here and my thoughts go more to ice fishing on 20 inches of ice now that most hunting is over. I did get my seeds ordered tho.   However I have been thinking of spring

Seed potato’s and onion starts haven’t even hit most garden/hardware stores yet in mid Maine. We get a very late start but catch up eventually. I did remove the winter blanket of mulch from the two st

It's still a little early, even for here, but I have friends that already have ground tilled and ready to plant potatoes on Valentines Day.  At the moment I still have a few mustard greens in my small

Posted Images

Birdcountry70

You're killing me, it seems unbelievable that anyone is thinking of gardening.  I've gotta get that snowbirding thing figured out! Our rule of thumb is don't plant until memorial day to avoid late frost kills. You will probably be harvesting some things before we can even plant. We have warmed up to -13 this morning though so things are looking up. This is the time of year that I question my choice of location to live, and I think about it more with every passing year. I'm getting old I guess. I'm jealous. 

17 degrees right now. Been freezing in drizzle for 2 days. Snow this morning. Kids been out of school for 2 days now. More weather tonight, so I bet they miss tomorrow as well.  Zero degree nights forecast later in week. 

I’m ready to garden. 

I planted my entire garden on April 1st one time. Grandpa told me it would freeze.  He farmed all his life. “It’s never to early to plant corn the first time”.

I got lucky. It didn’t. Most years the 2nd week of May is safe for us though. 

if I plant 50 tomatoes this year I will likely get divorced. She wasn’t happy when they ripened last year...

About as close to gardening that I've gotten so far, is thinking about it and that's all I can do for another 2.5-3 months. However, I can prune and spray fruit trees, raspberry and blue berry bushes. If we ever get a few decent sunny days, that's what I'll do to scratch my gardening itch!

Treerooster

Ground is froze solid here and my thoughts go more to ice fishing on 20 inches of ice now that most hunting is over. I did get my seeds ordered tho.

However I have been thinking of spring a lot recently...spring TURKEY hunting that is.

My daydreams are a lot like this.

1146387160_WisTrilliumbirdeditedResized.thumb.jpg.3bd6b58355153f63d1bddca7b8621b92.jpg

But opening day may be more like this. 🙂

1308130354_Neb08Bilzzardbird.thumb.JPG.db714d0e365f96527a82388edb36cb4f.JPG

Never turkey hunted in the snow. 30s for evening lows is about as cold as I’ve hunted in. 

Dad said he had several strutting in the field wrapped around his house last week. Youth season in under 2 months. 

Brad Eden

355ED722-C24B-46DB-8A5D-8E9EB5127D62.jpeg

I planted tomatoes the other day. Can’t understand why they died so quick.

6E4A41D9-4BDE-4D23-84B5-7585AB2C4F62.jpeg

...and I am also dreaming of Spring Gobbler hunting season.

Fishnfowler

I'm getting ready for gardening too.  Will probably plant some seeds in 2 months in the greenhouse. I did put a dozen hyacinths into gravel last week and am forcing them.  Hopefully will have flowers in a month.  My 30th anniversary is coming up in March.  

Two Barrels

I need to turn my garden within the next few weeks, but it is too wet right now.  We had 3-4” of snow on Saturday night.

Get your seeds ASAP! I heard a report on the news indicating there will be issues again with supply, at least for some items. I filled up on seeds a couple weeks ago and ordered 6 heirloom variety apple trees to start a small orchard. They should arrive at the end of April. 

gaberdeen

Ordered some tomato and pumpkin seeds today just in case the nursery doesn't have the varieties I like. I love sun gold cherry tomato's but finding seedlings by me can be a challenge.  Up on my buddies property in NY we plan on planting a large stand of sweet corn so I'll have to order those seeds too.

Alaskan Swamp Collie

Only minus 4 this morning. Started celery and leek seeds this weekend, also one tomato that is a bugger to grow. Usually start most peppers and tomatoes at end of Feb. Snow is waist deep, the damn hares got above my wire and girrdled my apple trees. Looks like the cherries and haskaps are okay.

The wife puts orchids around the yard usually tied to trees . Some make it and some don't.

IMG_0465.thumb.jpg.79f9380743fa9f69f7c382c206974e28.jpg

• 1 month later...
1971snipe
On 2/9/2021 at 9:34 AM, 1971snipe said:

It's still a little early, even for here, but I have friends that already have ground tilled and ready to plant potatoes on Valentines Day.  At the moment I still have a few mustard greens in my small garden but that's it.  Been pruning grape vines and blackberry bushes.  

48NIXky.jpg

I'm still undecided about the spring garden, if I'll continue to just do tomatoes and peppers in containers; peas and okra in the garden spot.   

One week after taking this pic the yard and garden was covered with snow.  Then a week later whatever had survived was green again.  

The two pear trees have repeatedly bloomed and froze all winter. After the snowstorm the leaves came out and now they're blooming again. The new pear tree I planted this winter is budding now also. Blackberry vines are green with new leaves and now have blooms. The Plum tree is budding now. The fig tree still looks dormant, and I'm hoping the freeze didn't kill it. The muscadine vines have been pruned and could begin budding any day now. The pecan tree as always will be the last to bud. I fertilized everything lightly today with some 13-13-13 left over from last summer.
The garden still has mustard greens, but I'm ready to turn it over, and begin looking for tomatoes and peppers. 

Treerooster

Won't be planting any seeds for a few days. 🙂 Actually welcome the snow, too many months with too little moisture. This snow is a wet one and will help our drought immensely. Wet ground absorbs moisture much more readily so any added precipitation in the near future will be more beneficial. I knew this was coming and got some wood ashes and compost spread before it hit.IMG_20210314_075803112.thumb.jpg.876ab32e6cf3cc224e8e5e1d56aad4eb.jpg