Oysters and beer

The lyrics in Jimmy Buffett's song "Tin Cup for a Chalice" go like this - "Give me oysters and beer for dinner every day of the year
And I'll feel fine, I'll feel fine."

Well, gentlemen, within the next several hours I will be coming into possession of 8 dozen Pemaquid oysters, fresh off the boat from the icy cold waters of coastal Maine.

For background, I am planning a little soiree with the wife and kids and their squeezes tomorrow afternoon.

I love oysters and I love beer so I am down on this pairing.  All beer goes with all oysters from Miller Light to Guinness Stout as far as I am concerned.

What I am wondering is what some of you other oyster aficionados consider good drink pairings with raw oysters on the half shell and am looking for what you prefer.

I am down with beer, any and all, I do have personal preferences but that is inconsequential, since someone else (like my wife) who likes a particular kind or style of beer surely will like that beer with oysters. So no need to beat that horse. 

I'm also down with champagne too, both beer and champagne are cold and fizzy, and I know first hand that both go well with oysters on the half shell.

I also like tequila with oysters, either neat, in a Tequila Sunrise, tequila and OJ, even Margaritas, no worries.

Martinis? Yes thank you, both gin and vodka work for me. I like both flavors actually with oysters. Ka-pow!

What else? Oh yeah Bloody Mary's go well with oysters.

White wine?...I'm not a big wine drinker but have had Savignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio and Chardonney with oysters.....if someone has a recommended wine pairing I'm all ears on this one because the girls like wine.  I read somewhere that Muscadet goes well with oysters, so I bought a bottle yesterday.  We'll see..... I can say unequivocally that I have never in my life had a sip of Muscadet.  I am down with what any of you other folks may like and I will give it a try if you can recommend something. I'd guess that Poully-Fuisse works. BTW, Cheach Marin calls that one "fussy pussy wine"!

I also have heard that single malt scotch goes well with oysters...can't say I ever tried that so am willing to give it a try...I like single malt but I only drink it occasionally.

So what do you guys like to imbibe while slurping? Is there something that I have missed in all these years of drinking and eating oysters?

Tah

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spiller

• 1971snipe

• gunsrus

• Delmer

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

KELCHNER'S cocktail sauce with a dash of horseradish . Another pick up from chef Tony .

Looking around in my shop today I found these.  The knife is over 70 years old (older than me), has a stainless handle, very heavy, and was made by my dad.  There was another that was slightly longer

One year I was point man when our province hosted the Canada Export Achievement Awards ceremonies. About 350 cabinet ministers, sycophants, billionaires, etc. ad nauseam. Lots of food and drink. Lots

Posted Images

Sounds like quite a catholic selection of alcohol. Maybe it just boils down to you like any type of alcohol with oysters.

I agree, but I just enjoy raw oysters with no additional accoutrements.

I'll pick up Hayslope and gaberdeen . We'll pick up the Bloody Mary's . Tony makes the best . What time ?

A couple lobster tails would go good too !

BTW, I'm not saying we are doing everything and all as far as the booze...Although I might have tried something like that 50 years ago! 

I'm just looking for other options to try.  

I guess I should also ask what people like to put on their raw oysters...

I am a fan of just fresh lemon or key lime juice, sometimes with a drop or two of hot sauce.

But I don't push away an oyster with mignonette or cocktail sauce on it.

My mignonette which I will throw together today so it has time to meld in the fridge overnight is just the classic....white wine vinegar, minced shallots and cracked peppercorns....I know there are other recipes...if someone has one they can vouch for I'd give 'er a go...

I am an oyster "test pilot".......hahahahahahahah

Brad Eden

I never buy oyster on the half shell. But always enjoy them when a drinking or dinner companion orders some for the table....I like them slurped plain or as you said with sprinkle of lemon and a drip of hot sauce, or some of that red cocktail sauce with horseradish. I never really thought that beer was paired with them. But that makes sense. There is a very “hip” place in Belfast ME: Three Tides Tapas/restaurant and their brewery; Marshall’s Wharf Brewery. Overlooking the bay. They have new owners and the restaurant is gonna reopen in spring but the brewery is open with a Beer Atrium that use to serve a load of Oysters. They would pile the shells right on the floor..Not sure if they still do but we plan to check it out this weekend for some micro brews when a college friend is up visiting. 

KELCHNER'S cocktail sauce with a dash of horseradish . Another pick up from chef Tony .

canvasback

Love oysters. Typically drink good vodka from the freezer with them. I don’t like to pace myself with the oysters but find that’s an important part of enjoying the vodka. 🤣

Cocktail sauce is my favorite.  Will also do a quick heat up in the grill with butter, grated Parmesan, bacon bits, etc. Although you gotta be so careful not to cook the oyster and lose the texture.  

There’s a drink that comes with an oyster in it.  Shot of something but I don’t remember what.  

Ketchup, good horseradish, Old Bay, Worcestershire Sauce, pepper, and a touch of lemon all to taste mixed together makes a good cocktail sauce or base for Bloody Matys.

PartridgeCartridge

I read somewhere that oysters and clams are the only food that when you consume them you are eating the entire animal. The whole shebang. Brains, digestive tract, organs, muscle and butthole. I prefer not to think about that when I'm slurping them down.

I have been making my own cocktail sauce since probably the mid 80's.  

The recipe I use came about rather haphazardly.

One day I was watching TV, and as I was flipping through the channels, I hit onto a TV cooking show, and the guy who was cooking was named Justin Wilson.

I gotta say I was fascinated. Not only by his banter and mannerisms but I just happened to fall upon a show where he was cooking some unbelievably awesome looking cajun food, at least IMHO.

It was the whole meal.  He was making Cajun pork chops and Okra succotash.

He said that for an appetizer he was going to boil up some shrimp and make a shrimp cocktail.

And he made the cocktail sauce to go with it.

I was trying to remember all the stuff he was doing for all the different dishes.  He didn't just boil the shrimp in water he had all kinds of stuff he was throwing into the boiling water...then he started to make the cocktail sauce...By the time I got a pencil and peice of paper to start to write everything down he was moving on to something else..."Gauronteee!".

I liked what I saw so much, and because I couldn't write everything down from memory, I purchased his cookbook that had the particular stuff he was making for that particular show.  It was the first, last and only time I ever watched him on TV but I got the cookbook. It is called Justin Wilson's "Gourmet and Gourmand Cookbook"

Here is his cocktail sauce recipe...I can vouch for it on top of raw oysters, on shrimp, on crawdads or anywhere you might want some cocktail sauce..... 

1/2 cup Heinz chili sauce

1/2 cup catsup

1/2 cup of prepared horseradish 

This was all sorta winged during the show without any actual measurements but that is what is written in the cookbook.

1 TBS Lea and perils Worcestershire sauce...he just was dashing it into the bowl on top of the other stuff

1/2 tsp salt

I remember he put in the juice from a whole lemon but in the cookbook it claims a TBS of fresh lemon juice 

1/2 cup of fresh parsley chopped up fine...I have used dried....

then Louisiana styled hot sauce more or less to what level of hot you want...it seems important here to say you must use either Tabasco or Crystal it is part of the whole thing....

1 hour ago, canvasback said:

Love oysters. Typically drink good vodka from the freezer with them. I don’t like to pace myself with the oysters but find that’s an important part of enjoying the vodka. 🤣

I suppose that would qualify as a bone dry vodka martini....Bone dry is how Winston Churchill drank his martinis but of course he used London dry gin.....

46 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

I read somewhere that oysters and clams are the only food that when you consume them you are eating the entire animal. The whole shebang. Brains, digestive tract, organs, muscle and butthole. I prefer not to think about that when I'm slurping them down.

I think soft-shell crab fits the bill too doesn't it?