Oysters and beer

I ate oysters in Christchurch N.Z.  

I don't recall if they were called "Bluffs" or not but they were supposedly famous. Are Bluffs the only kind of oyster in your country? They were wicked good. As good, if not better, as any I have ever tried.

They were large and meaty....about the size of oysters from he Gulf of Mexico. 

I also ate some kind of mussels that were greenish in color and quite large. They were easily twice the size of the mussels in Maine. Honestly, I didn't think they were as up to snuff as the mussels from the North Atlantic that I am used to eating.  But it could have been just where I was eating them.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spiller

• 1971snipe

• gunsrus

• Delmer

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

KELCHNER'S cocktail sauce with a dash of horseradish . Another pick up from chef Tony .

Looking around in my shop today I found these.  The knife is over 70 years old (older than me), has a stainless handle, very heavy, and was made by my dad.  There was another that was slightly longer

One year I was point man when our province hosted the Canada Export Achievement Awards ceremonies. About 350 cabinet ministers, sycophants, billionaires, etc. ad nauseam. Lots of food and drink. Lots

Posted Images

I never met an oyster I didn't like but my preference is for west coast Pacific oyters.  Much fuller flavor and higher fat content.  Superb!

The only oysters I'm familiar with is the Rocky Mountain variety. 😉

A little cocktail sauce and a cold beer go well with them!