The two best petroglyphs I've encountered.

I mentioned before that about half our travels out west revolve around looking for ancient cultural material. My wife is as into it as I am, so we are willing to travel far and wide searching. However, the two best pieces of stone art we've seen are very well known and near Moab, UT. The first is one of a very few examples in the world of a birthing scene recorded in stone:

5D4_8170.thumb.jpg.259e69edf3e684be054954eb08bc9cee.jpg

The second is of hunters with bows and a great bear. It's unknown if it represents a successful hunt or a wish for future luck. (Yes, there is modern graffiti and bullet holes with this one!)

5D4_8349.thumb.jpg.fe70f1249b5352d36316f3ab1addbed3.jpg

How would something like that be dated? I just saw a clip on bighorns that they evolved in North Africa and migrated through Asia into North America in the last ice age. Cool anyway.

WyomingArt

Here's a possible date range ( am not an anthropologist, just like rock art.)  Those trapezoid shaped bodies, heads with adornments, and bighorn sheep are associated with Fremont Culture, roughly AD 600- 1300, estimates of dates vary. Found in Utah and adjacent Colorado and Nevada, spill into adjacent states.

More of a rock carving than a petroglyph, but interesting none the less. We were visiting Nicaragua in 2017 (my wife's home country), had rented a car and taken a ferry to Ometepe, the big island in Lake Nicaragua. We were driving around the island and happened upon this after driving a few hundred yards up a goat trail to a slightly developed tourist site. There was a couple of them and no information was posted, explaining the history or what we were looking at. I couldn't even hazard a guess as to the age of the stone(s).

I found this article about the glyphs on Ometepe. and posted a llink for anyone that's interested. Sounds as though some of the glyphs are very ancient!

Fortunately, we visited the country before s#*t hit the fan in 2018.

The Mysterious Petroglyphs of Ometepe, Nicaragua | Ancient Origins (ancient-origins.net)

IMG_1162.JPG

Edited by idcut
Added information
SelbyLowndes

I don't know anything about petroglyphs and don't remember ever seeing one, but the coolest craft I ever saw was the guy with an outside set-up at the Bozeman, MT. summer gun show a few years ago.  He was using an electric pen to draw designs on rocks.  Much cooler than the late painted rock fad.  He had lots of modern and prehistoric looking designs from sun circles to Celtic knots done on rocks of all sizes.  I was flying back home or would have bought one.  I did find a nice 12ga Fox pin gun though...SelbyLowndes 

These were at my ranch in Wyoming. My kids and I would ride our horses out to them regularly. There were some other large ones which were vandalized as they were closer to the road. I always thought that was a crime.

pictogr1.JPG

I have seen lots of them in Utah and Colorado. Recently I found one in the Ozark. Same dude as in Utah, Kocopeli I think is his name. I'll try and find the pic.

Have any of you considered having petryglyphs, cave paintings, or other truly primitive art engraved on a gun?

Crappy iPhone picture is the best I can find right now. This is in a wilderness area of the Ozark I stumbled on while smallmouth fishing one day.

Same dude that was chipped and painted on the walls in Utah, New Mexico and Colorado. Plus my forearm....

20E89FFE-4726-42A8-97BE-24F42C0B4050.JPG

IMG_4453.jpg