One author's interesting opinion

Ridge Runner

As we are all stressed more than "normal" these days due to covid, the winter weather and conditions, politics, ......., I thought this article was rather timely and pertinent.

https://digital-photography-school.com/online-photography-community-toxic/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feb-1121

RR

NW River Mac

I'm not a photographer, but you don't have to be one to have experienced such cowardly criticism these days.  More people need to get punched in the nose for being jerks.  Then this behavior will stop.

Brad Eden

Here fixed the link. Best way to post a link is to copy the URL from browser window. Start a Topic or Reply, click that link icon on top toolbar and paste and name the link.

Photo Community Toxic article.

I only scanned the article but it applies to most all online “community” social media these days. That’s part of the reason people are leaving Twitter and Facebook in droves. I am seeing such an uptick in new registrations here that I only keep the New Member Registration open one week out of a month. I can only handle managing so many people. Many Traditional Discussion Communities like UJ imploded years ago due to infighting, politics, trolls and keyboard warriors. So, remember that when “you” get pissed off and indignant because I moderate with such a heavy hand and won’t tolerate the crap that has ruined so many online venues.

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, NW River Mac said:

I'm not a photographer, but you don't have to be one to have experienced such cowardly criticism these days.  More people need to get punched in the nose for being jerks.  Then this behavior will stop.

I don’t see how someone could “punch anyone in the face” through a computer or device screen. That’s the problem, the anonymity of online communication with cowards and trolls shielded by their screen and keyboard. The only way to curb and control it is by diligent admins and moderators on Boards and Groups and the like. And even then they are abused and accused of CENSORSHIP! And deal with a constant flow of alarming encrypted, anonymous emails from the same cowards and trolls. Not that I would know anything about that.🤔 

Brad, don't ever give up the ship. UJ is the first thing I check in the morning and all of us appreciated that it is here in the condition that it is.

Ridge Runner

Brad,

Thanks.  Was in a hurry and thought anyone interested could "copy and paste" the address into their browser.  Usually what I do anyway, as I don't trust automatic links on some sites (not this one) as they can get you in trouble in more ways than one.

NW River Mac
5 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I don’t see how someone could “punch anyone in the face” through a computer or device screen. That’s the problem,

That's my point.  It doesn't happen and can't happen. Everyone is in their safe space.

Brad Eden
3 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Brad,

Thanks.  Was in a hurry and thought anyone interested could "copy and paste" the address into their browser.  Usually what I do anyway, as I don't trust automatic links on some sites (not this one) as they can get you in trouble in more ways than one.

Got it. One thing I can say is this particular Board/Discussion Software is state of the art and constantly being updated for security. I didn’t even realize it until recently but photos uploaded via the Contributing Member Upload function have all GPS meta tag data stripped. So no hotspotting hunting photos for location data!