Almost 70* Today...

Yeah, they’re feeling it...Lil over a month to go!  😎

6900623E-663B-42C2-836D-757BAE5AE0CF.jpeg

Brad Eden

Too early to get too excited about the Maine Spring wild turkey hunt. Not to say I’m not thinking about it. Two and a half months of the worst Maine has to offer before the opener in May. Saw some turkey tracks in the snow just out back this morning. Dogs were eating turkey poop too. On top of a foot of frozen over snow. 

+ 48 today and the snow is almost gone. The pheasants appear fit and cocky.

Had the notion to set-up a 20ga SxS turkey gun for some time. The ball started rolling today when a Trulock Precision Hunter Turkey choke for my CZ showed up in the mail. Step 1.

Not in a hurry to see winter go but still find my mind meandering of late towards thoughts of horny gobblers.

Brad Eden

Got another 5-6” of snow last night. So jonesin for wild turkey hunting will have to wait. But a UJer did sell me over 50 rounds of the original Remington 20 gauge #5 3” HeviShot turkey load. The exact load that my rather unusual ‘one year off’ Remington 20 gauge camo pump HeviShot shotgun was designed for. If Maine doesn’t increase the season limits or if I don’t start traveling to other states I’ll be willing a lot of these to my descendants.

mister grouse

Seeing random  strutting in mid south.   Mid 60's temps here today.

I do a lot of scouting this time of year and right now there is no appearance of a serious break up in to breeding groups that consist of a few males and a small group of hens..  Hens  and young of the year jakes are still together in groups and some of those groups are large.  Up to 70-100 birds , but typically 15-30.    Right now around here mature longbeards are in separate groups. But some of the mature ones are strutting.   I expect the male pecking order is getting straightened out now among the adult male birds.  

Brad Eden

B32E3D6F-0FD3-4316-9B14-94ABB9AC66CC.jpeg

Photo from a friend who lives down near Cape Cod MA in a residential neighborhood. Non-hunter, feeds critters all the time as well as his neighbors I’m guessing. No hunting zone. And hunters wonder why non-hunters sometimes think it’s ridiculous and no challenge to kill wild turkeys. Deer and turkeys are wild pets and lawn ornaments in many urban areas. 😳😣

We have the same thing here Brad, although illegal to do...Some still do, then in turn call DF&W when the wildlife becomes a nuisance...Tom’s are notorious for chasing people, pets, cars and bikes in the Spring...😆