Brad Eden

We may be planning a week long road trip soon. A get out of Maine in winter exercise. Forgoing the relative hassle (Covid) and expense of airports and flying etc. Spinning south and visiting my sister who just moved from MA to PA, daughters in NH and NJ and dipping into the Carolinas possibly. etc., etc.

Jo has a Nissan Rogue Sport and I have a Toyota Tacoma. Great everyday rigs but not long hour travel vehicles. So we are splurging on a rental vehicle. Looks like we have a choice between a Ford Edge or an Explorer at the closest place. Edge is considered an “intermediate” sized SUV, Explorer full size etc.

No dogs coming. The Edge looks like a decent sized and comfortable vehicle with decent mpg, and is what we are considering. And its cheaper to rent than the Explorer.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ford Edge; comfortable for long drives as in 6-10 hour stints trading off on the wheel every few hours. Or a comparison between the Edge and the Explorer for what we are planning?

If the Edge is less expensive to rent and offers improved mpg and extra storage from an Exploder is not important then it's a simple answer. Cindy likes her Edge but it's not the current model so can't speak to that. 

My parents have had an Edge since 2017 and don't like it at all. They say the truck-sized tired give a horrible ride (and this is coming to the Edge from driving a Prius) and the FE sucks (again, coming from a Prius🤪). I don't mind it, but have only chauffered them around on short trips - 30 mi or so.

I think I could live with it for a vacation, by my folks certainly don't like it (yet they still keep it - you tell me what that means🤔)

Haven't been in the new explorers, so can't compare it.

Can't speak to the explorer, but the Mrs has had an Edge for the past few years, really likes it. Quite a bit of heft for a car, good awd and really it's big enough for me on extended trips. I drove it to the office today in some snow, handles well.

I should've qualified that last statement on it being big enough for me - I'm a strapping 5' 6 155 so ....ymmv! 😄

Brad, the Edge gets good reviews.  MY SIL in MI just got one and loves hers.  It's a nicely appointed one with awd.  I've rented them in the past for biz trips and really liked them though I must admit, I liked the Escape even more particularly the version with the eco-boost engine, gets 30+ mpg on the highway.  If you can get an even better deal on and awd Escape, that might be the ticket.  Also, if you can get a Mazda 5 in awd, that has been my favorite non-Ford.  

Be ready to "learn" the car's system no matter what you get.  Anymore it takes me a full 5 minutes to figure out the mirrors, seating adjustments, climate, radio etc.  I'm 6' 0", 190, 32" inseam - they all fit me fine.  

Some people just "fit" certain vehicles and other's don't. Some people are pickier than others too. In general the Edge is a perfectly fine vehicle for the trip you describe. You may actually prefer it over the Explorer, very hard to say. As a general rule the Edge would be plenty big, comfortable, and with plenty of power for good interstate cruising. I don't own one but have ridden/driven them and for what you describe would be happy to rent one.

As was mentioned the Escape, although smaller, would probably also be a fine choice (and maybe cheaper). The newer escapes are pretty quite comfortable cruisers too, at least the ones I have driven with the larger eco-boost engine.   No idea what a rental Escape would have from an engine, that may effect how desirable it was for interstate driving.  

Well, I just gotta say, and I know you other fellars are thinking the same thing...Ford Edge?  Ford Explorer??  This is great opportunity to let loose the reins, take out the scrunchy and let yer hair blow in the breeze, try something new!  I'm thinking Ford Mustang Mach-E.  Just drive till the battery gets low, get a room for the night, let the batteries charge, take it as far it goes the next day, re-charge, etc. ;) 

mustang-mach-e-red-3.thumb.jpg.7b12d639be303c3ca328c3bbc3543c36.jpg

Whatever you decide - enjoy!   Sounds like a good getaway!

I dont see how the edge is different than the Rogue.   Id try to rent a Camry or Altima.  

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, RookieEP said:

I dont see how the edge is different than the Rogue.   Id try to rent a Camry or Altima.  

The Edge is considerably bigger than Jo’s Rogue “Sport”. Hers is the smallest Rogue model. We want more comfort and at least AWD since we will be traveling the East Coast. We both like the stance of SUV’s over sedan type vehicles.

Bloodhound

I ended up in an Edge last summer, only had it 2 days and I couldn't wait to get rid of it...I am a big guy at 6'2" and 280...it was too small for me...I am more comfortable in my wife's RAV 4 even though it is smaller than the Edge.  I haven't driven the Explorer but rode in one for an hour, also last year...it was fine. 

WI Outdoor Nut

I am normally (not covid) on the road between 50-70% of the time.  I have rented the edge many times.  Nice SUV and would not hesitate to rent one.  

I think Edge would be really nice in that situation and the Explorer a bit of overkill.  My parents had an Edge several years ago and I drove it about 9 hours to Nashville Tn.  Thought it was comfortable.  Their model had power everything, heated seats etc etc.  Model might make a different in comfort. 

topdog1961

“Comfort” is a hard thing to compare between people, because it is so subjective.  My wife and I must have a high tolerance for lack of comfort. We’ve taken two trips so far in my 2011 XTerra that I picked up last October, one 7 hours and one 3 hours each way.  We were perfectly comfortable, yet this truck framed SUV is not known for comfort on long trips, it’s more known for off road abilities.  We also routinely go on long trips at interstate speeds (that’s about 95 in rural Michigan) in our Miata with the top down, sporty ride and all.  30 years ago, we drove a Suzuki Samurai to Nashville on our honeymoon, with the top off.  Consumer reports labeled it the worst ride they ever tested.  We were young(er), fitter, and dumber then, that would be beyond our physical comfort limits today.  But the Xterra and Miata, no problem.   I can’t imagine either of these Fords being uncomfortable to us, so I’d take the Edge if the room is adequate for my needs.

WPG Gizmo

Go to the local ford dealer and sit in a Edge hell take it for a test drive and see if you like it you might find that it is not comfortable or you might just love it only your rear end can know for sure