Longer wheelbase = better highway cruiser. Advantage Explorer.

Curious what other brand vehicles can you rent locally?  FWIW a friend owns a Dodge Durango, 2019 I believe, and that thing is one of the quietest and most comfortable vehicles I've ever experienced.  Supreme long distance rig, surpassed only by minivans for comfort and ease of driving.  AWD to boot.

Brad Eden
Just now, Dogwood said:

Longer wheelbase = better highway cruiser. Advantage Explorer.

Curious what other brand vehicles can you rent locally? 

Jo is doing most of the research. According to her, all things considered, distant for pickup, mileage considerations, etc., the most affordable is Orbitz through the Bangor Municipal Airport. They have the Edge and Explorer. I checked the rental department at my Toyota dealership and too pricey for my thin blood. I’m gonna drive through a Ford dealership later in week and peak at the two vehicles. 

At this point I’m figuring the Edge will be enough vehicle to make the trip reasonably comfortable.

I hear ya Brad on AWD but majority actual road and  hwy driving front wheel drive will not leave up much for AWD.  Last march we flew to FL then full blown quarantine hit so we elected to drive back home to MO 16 hours.. rented a Camry home.   Awesome sedan- comfortable quiet plenty of power and gas mileage was very impressive.  I had to make sure I was not going 85.  Lastly Im now a truck guy, wife has a Highlander- a real trunk is nice to keep stuff locked up and out of sight.  

forestdump

I rented an Edge about 6 or 7 years ago and was really impressed with it. Was actually looking at purchasing one recently but I went with the Explorer for the extra size and towing

Brdhntr47

After all of this research have you considered that your chances of getting the actual make and model vehicle you think you are renting is pretty slim. I have rented many vehicles and doubt that I ever get the exact make and model. Read the part of the rental agreement that says “or similar” and expect to get the “or similar .”  Good luck.

Brad Eden
28 minutes ago, Brdhntr47 said:

After all of this research have you considered that your chances of getting the actual make and model vehicle you think you are renting is pretty slim. I have rented many vehicles and doubt that I ever get the exact make and model. Read the part of the rental agreement that says “or similar” and expect to get the “or similar .”  Good luck.

Good point. Fully cognizant....We have rented vehicles many times when flying to places. That seems to always happen. We haven’t been disappointed yet and have had upgrades at no up charge. It’s a gamble. We reserved a small vehicle and ended up with a nice Jeep Wrangler 4 Door limited on a trip to New Mexico. And drove across the desert from Albuquerque to Durango CO in a POS sedan that was acting up. We exchanged it for a Ford Mustang when we got to CO. And we haven’t done very much research to be honest, so generally any decent intermediate or full size SUV will likely be fine. 

Fire Marshal Bill

I drive a a Ford Edge and love it. It's my "truck" if you will. Haul leaves to the transfer station, boat to launch, hunting/fishing gear and the back roads of Maine grouse hunting every year. Do I like the Edge, hell yeah!!! Oh, its a 2013 with 102+ miles. 

Edited by Fire Marshal Bill

Whenever i rent the only option i have is what class vehicle.   I always choose a small suv.   The day of the pick up i have 2 to choose from

How about a car ? They must offer a comfortable riding car . Like in the ole days before suv's. LTD or Tauris come to mind. They would be good on gas . Can't see them costing more to rent.

10 minutes ago, max2 said:

How about a car ? They must offer a comfortable riding car . Like in the ole days before suv's. LTD or Tauris come to mind. They would be good on gas . Can't see them costing more to rent.

LTD would be mighty old.  Taurus is nice and has a big trunk and a good ride. 

Thanks for all the comments.

We aren’t interested in traveling in a car or sedan along the East coast in winter. Certainly fine with front wheel drive but have decided on the stance,  relative size, and comfort of a medium to full size AWD or 4WD SUV.

We have a Ford Edge or equivalent reserved. We’ll see what is actually available.

On 2/25/2021 at 5:21 AM, Brdhntr47 said:

This is much more often the case - no matter what you thought you rented, it will be almost anything but.  Since I work for a big company and we have a nice deal with Avis, 99% of the time it's an upgrade as they take all of the company into consideration.  Also, it never hurts to ask.  (No pun intended.)  When the shuttle van pulls up to whatever ride they have me in, if I don't like it I return to the rental shack and get something else.  Mostly I take what they have me in as it's typically two to three levels upgraded.  Be curious to see if that has changed during the pandemic.

On 2/28/2021 at 4:30 AM, Brad Eden said:

Thanks for all the comments.

We aren’t interested in traveling in a car or sedan along the East coast in winter. Certainly fine with front wheel drive but have decided on the stance,  relative size, and comfort of a medium to full size AWD or 4WD SUV.

We have a Ford Edge or equivalent reserved. We’ll see what is actually available.

Good luck Brad!