Bird seed warning

Our cocker Ollie ate less than a cup of bird seed the other day, it bound his bowels up and he was miserable.  Took him to the vet, X-ray no blockage and a day later still no poop and lots of straining. Back to the vet yesterday, enema, plenty of poop, still lots of unproductive straining, not eating and needs to go out twice an hour.  Still drinking water.. Vet warned that pancreatitis is possible with bird food ingestion. Hopefully he clears up soon. We are quite concerned.

Mojo sent. I know how concerning it is. We are going through a similar issue with bowels. Except for no apparent reason.

Clueless1

Oh wow!  Hope Ollie gets better.  Thank you for posting this as I just filled a bird feeder and I've been keeping the bag right beside the dog food bags in the garage.  The thought went through my head of them getting in to it then though "Eh, it's a natural product.  How much could it hurt them if they got into it."  Now I know.  Texting the wife to move it now. 

Can't picture Ollie down . He's always just a ball of energy . Thanks for posting this and hope he recovers soon . 

Brad Eden

Good warning. Thanks. And good luck to Ollie. 

Craig Conroy

When I scatter a little mixed cheap seed on the ground as a bribe to the squirrels and Bluejays to leave the good stuff in the feeder alone, I gotta tell Sloane to "leave it", or she'd probably eat it, too.  I suppose she thinks that since the squirrels, turkeys and deer come by and scrounge (as she watches them from the window), why can't she, too.

44 minutes ago, GuyO said:

Mojo sent. I know how concerning it is. We are going through a similar issue with bowels. Except for no apparent reason.

Good luck.

I have an idea what this is like. Tessa my first Spin ate a butt load of damp whole kernal corn the next door neighbor dumped in a pile on a large low stump.

She bloated up pretty bad but luckily no bowel twisting. Loads of gas, and her bowels worked overtime for a day and a half. After that things calmed down and

went back to normal. I hope your dog gets through this equally well. 

Fire Marshal Bill

Come on Ollie you can do it, get rid of that bird crap and feel better soon. Mojo sent. 

Good wishes for Ollie. Hope he feels better soon.

Interesting, mine occasionally eat it and never really an issue other than seeing it in their poop. Of course, mine also dined on a dead deer all last winter too so while I try to discourage it eating a little bird seed here or there isn't something I worry much about.