Northeast Side X Side 2021

Saw this posted on one of the upland facebook groups.

It is something I have been meaning to get to. For those who have been attended before, what pointers would you suggest?

Nearby campgrounds, rental of golf carts, food options? How many days do you attend?

http://hhhsc.net/

149924160_4042903079088312_8507869474254820269_n.jpg

If you are self contained, you can camp in the parking lot, I believe. I usually stay with a buddy in Athens, Pa. Don’t forget Rock Mountain Sporting Clays is a fun course about 25min away. Cheaper than signing up for a tournament, and it gives you a change of pace. Hausmann’s is a great course too!

I have never really found any great food up there. There is usually a lunch truck there that serves descent breakfast and lunch.

Bring lots of shells and money! If you don’t have shells just bring lots more money RST will feed you, for a price!

The cart rental info is usually on the website, order early. My buddy usually brings his rig or I push a cart.  If you see an old lifted cart with steer horns on it, that’s my buddy Jim and more than likely me.

The more days you attend, the more fun you’ll have and the more likely you are to return home with a new double!

42 minutes ago, Grifish said:

Cheaper than signing up for a tournament, and it gives you a change of pace. Hausmann’s is a great course too!

Can you shoot just for fun at regular price or do you need to be in a tournament that weekend?

Thanks for other tips!

A round of clays is pretty expensive.  For some reason $40 a round sticks in my head for 50 birds.  Different courses for the different gauges.  Some of the targets are crazy hard and the others not so much.  5 Stand is very popular and its pretty tough with the layout and the background.  They have wobble trap as I recall and some other clays game I've never shot because the targets are all long range and screamers and I only shoot a 20 gauge.  Anyone with a Fox can shoot the Bo-Whoop challenge.  There is also the Fox/Parker Challenge which is a team competition.  Folks shoot the courses for score and then the top shooters with the various classics do a shoot off at the 5 stand event the last day 

Regarding carts, I walk the course, but if you have bad knees or bad whatever a cart is handy to have just so you are not carrying the guns and shells from station to station.   Food is so so.  You won't hate it but you sure won't love it, its just sorta bar food kinda stuff.  Burgers and Brats and some sides as I recall.  Many of the vendors bring coolers and make sandwiches in the vendor tents.  Weather permitting there is a bunch of tail gating in the parking lot.  Prey for dry, as that parking lot can turn into a mud hole.

Rock Mountain is pretty close and costs a good bit less as I recall.  I actually like the course there a lot and they have some trampoline targets that I get a real kick out of shooting.

PS.  Anyone who has ever won the lottery and who likes guns can find plenty to spend money on.  Some real high end classic guns are in those tents and priced accordingly.  Lots of gun sales in the parking are pre-covid, but no idea how they are handling transfers.  Some folks go through a dealer and some don't.  All the dealers do of course do background checks. 

Last thing is cell phone coverage is god awful.  AT&T is probably the best but trust me that doesn't mean its good.    

There are lots of clays games to shoot at Hausmann’s.  Some years the five stand is really technical, couple years ago they had a quail flush, a simulated pigeon ring something on the skeet field that I can’t quite remember.  They do allow you to shoot without participating in the competition.  It is usually a little confusing, when you get your score card ask for an explanation.

Don’t forget to come to the UJ Catskills event in July! 

Cold Iron
5 hours ago, Grifish said:

I usually stay with a buddy in Athens, Pa. Don’t forget Rock Mountain Sporting Clays is a fun course about 25min away. 

I have never really found any great food up there.

What kind of buddy do you have in the Valley that can't find you any decent food?! Take your passport with you and cross into Waverly, NY and stop at Sopranos deli (Italian Market). The old man used to have a place in Sayre too but when he passed and Barb took over it is just Waverly now. I graduated HS with Barb. He hasn't taken you to Alliger's House of Wings yet?! Many of the old school places are gone now. But more than enough others have filled in. The original higher end places are still around. 

Mangialardo's, Yanuzzi's, Tomasso's, hmm I see an Italian theme here. Or rather back there. Not far to the North just across the border is where Spiedies were born. 

RST is near Hausmann's on the old Milford Owego Turnpike. 

I shoot Rock Mountain when ever I go back to see family, really like the course and the owners. My FIL passed away of a heart attack shooting a triples event at Rock Mountain. 

Some decent trout fishing South and to the West of there if you know where to go. Wrong time of year but I heard there are grouse and pheasants on a couple of the SGL's near there.

48565046351_93bfc0984c_z.jpg

And woodcock. Or so I have heard.

23 minutes ago, Cold Iron said:

What kind of buddy do you have in the Valley that can't find you any decent food?! Take your passport with you and cross into Waverly, NY and stop at Sopranos deli (Italian Market). The old man used to have a place in Sayre too but when he passed and Barb took over it is just Waverly now. I graduated HS with Barb. He hasn't taken you to Alliger's House of Wings yet?! Many of the old school places are gone now. But more than enough others have filled in. The original higher end places are still around. 

Mangialardo's, Yanuzzi's, Tomasso's, hmm I see an Italian theme here. Or rather back there. Not far to the North just across the border is where Spiedies were born. 

RST is near Hausmann's on the old Milford Owego Turnpike. 

I shoot Rock Mountain when ever I go back to see family, really like the course and the owners. My FIL passed away of a heart attack shooting a triples event at Rock Mountain. 

Some decent trout fishing South and to the West of there if you know where to go. Wrong time of year but I heard there are grouse and pheasants on a couple of the SGL's near there.

48565046351_93bfc0984c_z.jpg

And woodcock. Or so I have heard.

He’s pretty much a steak n potato guy!  There was a real good Italian restaurant right across the border, was that your pops?

Not a fan of Manglanardo’s, The wing place in Athens changed hands it’s a sports bar with descent food. Not a whole lot over by Friendsville.

Cold Iron
15 hours ago, Grifish said:

He’s pretty much a steak n potato guy!  There was a real good Italian restaurant right across the border, was that your pops?

Not a fan of Manglanardo’s, The wing place in Athens changed hands it’s a sports bar with descent food. Not a whole lot over by Friendsville.

Sorry not my old man but old man Soprano, and for the life of me can't remember his first name. Yeah there are some decent places around in the Valley. Friendsville is about my far East limit, from there to downtown Shinglehouse in Potter County and everything in between. Guess I never thought about it before but yep pretty much only bar food and a few dinners in between. Some better than others.

The Duluth Double Gun shoot here is the highlight of my summer. While I don't usually shoot the Great Northern proper I always go over the day before and do the $100 for all you can shoot event. Every year I keep trying to find a reason to go back and shoot the NE SxS shoot and one of these years it will happen. At these shoots as Tut mentioned there are usually drawings and of course the Lewis class. I always play the Lewis and a few drawings however never win anything. But one of these days "Louie" is going to come through for me LOL. Either way these shoots are always worth going to, at least IME.

My shooting buggy not only has heat, I gots AC too.

47965816981_ee68ed550d_b.jpg

Once fall comes around the gun rack comes off and the dog box goes on.

45049854194_655b539c30_b.jpg

brushbuster

I look forward to this shoot every year and was pretty bummed it was canceled last year.

The clays are a little expensive for what they are and the course is mostly a hunter friendly in the woods type so you typically don't see some of the crazy stuff you see at sporting events. They typically have 2 courses a 12/16 Ga course and a 20/28/410 course.

The vendor tents, being able to pick up RST and hang out with the UJ crew is worth the trip.

I agree with others the 5 stand had some tough targets they also had the simulated pigeon ring which was unique and not easy!

The food truck is OK but nothing to write home about. In the past I have just picked up a sub and kept it in a cooler along with some cold water.

Agree Rock mountain has a real nice layout and I try to get up for a few shoots every year.  This year the PA state championship will be at Rock Mountain.

The walking can be rough and rutted/muddy so I always wear hiking boots.

8 hours ago, Cold Iron said:

47965816981_ee68ed550d_b.jpg

Once fall comes around the gun rack comes off and the dog box goes on.

45049854194_655b539c30_b.jpg

Nice ride, love the boxes!

Cold Iron
12 hours ago, Crazy Setter said:

Cold Iron. Some nice looking Winchesters there

Olaf

Ya sure you betcha! Especially that sexy one on the left 🙂

Not this year but maybe next year we should take a trip to this shindig...

Crazy Setter
5 hours ago, Cold Iron said:

Ya sure you betcha! Especially that sexy one on the left 🙂

Not this year but maybe next year we should take a trip to this shindig...

Absolutely! Sounds like a hoot. 

olaf