REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
blanked

are you a yuppie hunter?

PartridgeCartridge

"Yuppie" I dunno.  But if having the means to have and enjoy fine gear, food, booze and hunting experiences is a crime, then I am guilty. "Yuppie", to me at least, is not a derrogatory term, but brings to mind younger people in the prime of their lives, enjoying life.

Unfortunately, it has it's sterotypes too.

It's more a state of mind and how you act as a sport that counts. Not the labels.

I think I am an "Older Urban Professional". An "Oldppie"?

nickwilliams
Where is Jack Maloney when we need him?

River19

Tim - I enjoy the quality time I spend in my cellicle counting the results of you guys keeping the economy going. We appreciate the spending....could you do some more......

Although, I guess I should want to be working outside in February freezing my nutts off ......... :D

At the end of the day, if someone hunts, they are alright in my book, Filson, Orvis, Brie, smoked salmon and all.  Bottom line is they are out enjoying the outdoors...........

Lars

So what you are saying is that if you drank Corona and drove a Toyota you'd be a yuppie.....interesting......

I drink Corona and drive a Toyota but the fact of my age and that I cut my own hair negates the possibility.

shorthairgrousedog
Well, I came home to a catalogue from these guys  J.L. Powell - The Sporting Life sharing space in my mailbox with the October issue of Field & Stream.  I'm so conflicted....   :laugh:

I got that one too. $3600 for a coat? and the guy is stacking wood in it ???  $350 for a sweater......Now that's some serious yuppie stuff

MissEmAll

S**T, just looked at the website.  They make Orvis look like Sears!  And I'm what you guys pejoratively call a Yuppie.  Or, I used to be.  Wife and I left perfectly great paying jobs in DC, to move home and raise a daughter.  Nothing like a 60% family pay cut!  :oh:   But, instead of a 12 hour drive to our cabin in Weld, it's 2 hours.  Our daughter runs around in grass and trees with the Lab at her heels.  We don't worry about shootings, traffic, and cars hitting kids/dogs playing.  I drive an 8 year old volvo wagon with 170k, but have a truck to pull the boat.  I love fly fishing, maybe more than bird hunting  ??? - we'll see if that changes when I get a dog that isn't afraid of the gun.  I don't own Filson, but only because I'd sweat to death unless it was 20 below.  I do drink scotch, blended and single malt.  I'm starting to like cigars, tried the pipe, but haven't found a good tobacco.  I like good beer, the cheap stuff reminds me too much of bad nights in College (ask Pat, the sucky one). Although, the new Bud Ale is pretty good!  I like wine.  Preferably Cabernets.  I don't think I'll ever own anything but a Lab.  I long to be trashed like Pat.

Quinn

Briarscratch
A man of my own clan.

M1Tanker
I must be a wanna be yuppie being an urban planner living in the U.P...kind of a contradiction of terms...seems to define my hunting efforts.

frugal pointer
Natural Ice

Ah yes grasshopper, almost as much alcohol as Colt 45 per can, cheap buzz it is.

jmooney
Well, I came home to a catalogue from these guys  J.L. Powell - The Sporting Life sharing space in my mailbox with the October issue of Field & Stream.  I'm so conflicted....   :laugh:

I got that one too....I like the $400 corduroys myself.

bigjohnsd

Nope, not a yuppie.

SXS yes,

Not many XXL Yuppies - nope

My gear is all old, bloodstained and worn around the edges.

Pointing Lab to share my bed,

26 year old motorhome to sleep in,

I guess I'm just lucky!

Dave Rose
The sad part is that I remember the Metrouplander thread.... cheese and rice!

Uplander
The sad part is that I remember the Metrouplander thread.... cheese and rice!

Yeah, but wasn't there an old "Yuppie" thread before the "Metrouplander" one that was ever worse?  I think Rex was responsible for the original "Yuppie" firestorm thread....

Well I must be a yuppie.  I own multiple types of Filson hunting clothing, I shot a Berretta Silver Snipe and as for alcohol I am more of a rum and Vodka fan (Grey Goose or Belvedre).  We used to own a Volvo wagon.

Being a yuppie hunter is all I have left I use to be a "DNIK", but with a 20 month old and another on the way I can no longer have that title.

Most of the Filson were gifts (except my packer hat and you will have to pry that from my cold dead hand),  I usually hunt with a Remington 870 Super Magnum and of, out of my F150 Super Crew and of course hunt with Maggie the Wonder Lab.

So what am I?