REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
blanked

are you a yuppie hunter?

Breakfast Boy
Well, while dove hunting the other day, I wore an old Ducks Unlimited t-shirt with baseball sized holes in the armpits.   Seriously.  So, does that make me a closet yuppie??

Did you get the holes from honest wear or did you buy the shirt that way?

He's a Hoosier his armpits blew through that shirt. Don't ask about his tighty whiteys.

Holes courtesy of honest wear and old age, ladies.  Rookie, you know us Hoosiers don't wear underwear.

sprocket

By the definition of Young Urban Professional, no.

I live in the 'Burbs - I drive a POS Jeep, shoot a hardware store sxs or a Meatgetter 11-87, wear carhart pants and stoopid muck boots that hurt my feet but keep them dry when out in the woods.  My coat is patina'd nicely from various encounters with brush, sparks and dirt but some gear I've yet to break in.

My duck stuff is seasoned and ready 24/7 but the upland stuff is newer and less comfortable as I have been chasing frou frou birds for only a season - these delicate little birds that fall at the scream of the words "Improved Cylinder Number Eights!"

My taste in foods, drink and all other things gear, guns & girls have matured along the way too - while I prefer the cheeseburgers at dive bars, I'm staying in a 5 star hotel since thursday until next Sat.  Don't worry, work is making me - I'd prefer the duck blind for early goose...

Tim - you get a pass at this topic - anyone that's seen your spread and gear knows you are a gadget freak and the more the better; there's always a new gadget to get, even at the cost of the older ones.

I can't point at anyone here to put them in a category without putting myself in one first.

That said - Matt Crawford is a dirty old man in training and oldbronwndogdudeguywhatshisface is clearly headmaster at that school.

Unless 40 is the new 20, then yes.

mshowman
If I could afford to be a Yuppie Hunter I most certainly would be.

I think I might resemble that. I did receive one of the J.L. Howell catalogs but I treated it much like Grays, I look at the pictures and dream of far away places!

There are times I think I'd like to be a yuppie hunter. I can see myself riding on a horse drawn wagon behind blue-blood setters. Then retiring to the lodge for a home cooked southern meal and cocktails in front of the fire.

Then, on the other hand, there is reality. I enjoy sneaking up on a squirrel so I can shoot him in the head with a .22 and cook him in the crockpot. And I don't mind field dressing and butchering my own deer so I can slice off and eat the tenderloins before they've been frozen.

I guess, when it comes right down to it, that I'll just stay an old farm boy with yuppie dreams.

Am I a Yuppie? - no.

Was I a Yuppie?  - yes.

Our history is divided in 2 parts, there's B.C. and A.D.

In B.C. (Before Children), we were absolutely Yuppies.  Matter of fact, we were DINK Yuppies living in a large city house in a revitalized neighborhood.  In the 2 car garage in the back sat a Porsche and a Saab.  This was in the mid to late '80's.

In A.D. (after Dan) we went to one income, moved to the burbs, sold the Porsche and got a more practical ride so we could have car seats in either.  Early '90's.

Now I'm a GSP - Grandfatherly Suburban Professional.

Do I like to be reduced to a stereotype?  (Woody Allen line.)  No.  However, there was a time when it would have been easy to call us Yuppies since right about the same time that we were living that life, the term was coined.  One thing though, the amount of sweat equity we put into that 1st house and the subsequent rise in home values in the 'hood we settled made moving to the 'burbs to a pretty upscale location a lot easier.  With our 1st child, the priority moved from easy commute to a better school district.

When erik meade writes about going hunting in a Miata, I know the drill -- we used to take the Porsche when we hunted an area of Greene County where we could park just off hardtop but drive through some amazing Mtn roads to get to our spots.  The Porshce was the least expensive ride I've ever owned.  When I sold it, I ended up figuring that the car value and expenses allowed me to drive it for less than $200/month for 3 years and that included everything but gas.

But even if I had the $$$ to not blink and eye at $500 Cords, I would never reach that deep in my pockets.  Heck, I still can't get over a $9 movie ticket.

looch
I have been thinking of trying to take my wife's Sabb Wagon hunting this year on longer trips due to it getting 2 - 3 times better milage then my pick up, would that make me a Yuppie hunter? :p

Of does just having a Saab in the family do that? :D

I'll one-up you - I actually take my Saab 93 sedan bird hunting. Can't justify a pick-up truck for the 7 times per year that I actually need one.

bosco mctavitch
Am I the only one who finds this thread ironic, what with all of us sitting at our computers reading and writing and waxing poetic about all things upland?

Pat Berry
Am I the only one who finds this thread ironic, what with all of us sitting at our computers reading and writing and waxing poetic about all things upland?

I believe this post belongs in the Genius thread.

erik meade

I don't sit at my computer.

I have ADD, I stand.

Brad Eden

I have to be here.

Does the fact I am leaving to go bowhunting in an hour reduce my yuppie quotient?

erik meade
That depends on what kind of bow you will be shooting.

Tom Avent

I AM a yuppie hunter because:

I drive a Toyota Landcruiser

I shoot a 16 ga English sxs

I wear expensive boots

I drink imported beer

I own a chocolate lab and an English setter

I almost exclusively hunt grouse ands woodcock

I take 1 or 2 hunting trips out west each year

I AM NOT a yuppie hunter because:

I drive a Toyota Landcruiser (1999 with 178,000 miles on it and plan to drive it 'till the wheels fall off)

I shoot a 16 ga English boxlock that was built in 1929.... because it was still less expensive then any Spanish sidelock and it balances and carries as good or better than any gun I have seen at alot less of the cost... the Brits just knew how to build guns back then.

I wear expensive boots. After playin 17 years of rugby on crappy fiels my wheels are not in great shape. If you are going to slurge on something make it boots. Nothing ruins a good hunt faster than hurting feet. I do make sure the boots that I buy will last quite some time.

I drink imported beer because I LIKE it. I don't think I have to drink piss water to make a point to someone else. I only drink single malt scotch as well.

I own a chocolate lab and English setter....nuff said.

I only hunt birds because hunting deer is too much work and I am basically a lazy bastard.

After beating the hell out of myself chasing grouse in the mid-Atlantic area it is nice to do some plains hunting for a change.

Being a Yuppie is an atitude and a state of mind not what you have.

mshowman

I think you may be on to something there. I must be a yuppie. I drive an SUV with personalized license plates, have a Llewellin Setter that lives in the house, have learned to call my double barrel shotgun a side-by-side, and fill my garage with fancy toys like my tractor...

P1000036.jpg

Hunshatt

I drink imported beer because I LIKE it. I don't think I have to drink piss water to make a point to someone else. I only drink single malt scotch as well.

I own a chocolate lab and English setter....nuff said.

I only hunt birds because hunting deer is too much work and I am basically a lazy bastard.

Look Jeff, someone else, that could be me, cept it's my Dads E/S and she's retarded(hummmmm, so's his favorite son :blush:  :blush: )

dirtdog

I leave the decision of which category I fall into up to the esteemed gentlemen of this BB.

1. My boots are boots in the academic sense as they are made of leather, have what resembles tread on the rubber bottom and were once waterproof.

2. My hunting jacket is old Columbia upland jacket circa 1991. It is faded and worn and the shoulder where I carry my broken open shotgun over while hunting is thread bare.

3. My favorite brush pants are worn and have been through so many thickets that the nylon fronts are as fuzzy as an angora sweater and the blood stains make it appear that I just finished butchering several steer.

4. My hat, a orange baseball hat, is from some website with a notoriety of being a collection of miscreants and ne’er-do-wells that love birddogs.

5. My gun is a Ruger 28-gauge over/under that has some bumps and bruises.

6. I emit a constant flow of profanity and use the “F” word as a noun, verb and adjective, while working it into just about every sentence.

7. There is a continual stream of chewing tobacco dip being spat from pie hole, while I have my boots on.

8. I train my own dogs from pups on a shoe string budget and hunt them on the property of whoever gives me permission.

9. I drive a Chevy and it smells like a wet dog inside.

Jay